FAULTY MULLER CHOKE

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do use a pair of Muller chokes but I am speaking from an independent point of view, not in anyway trying to fight their corner ! I am simply trying to understand what more Nick or for that matter Muller can do for you? You appear to have lost faith in the product .. don't use it ?? I really do doubt that there is likely to be a forensic diagnosis of the problem with this choke maybe there will it could be in Muller's interest to find out what happened here. You said you secured the choke fully but there may have been some sort of crud that actually stopped it being so fitted.. who knows? There are plenty of instances where a bolt or nut has been torqued to the correct reading only to find that a bit of crap was in fact causing the apparent torque and when loosened with heat or vibration a problem has occurred because it all falls out of kilter!

Not at all.

I presumed as I have the same name....and I had asked you the same question....that for some reason you were asking same of me .

Thank you for your comments....but as far as shooting goes.....I am happy to be a wannabee.

So as loads have already pointed out ...why not send them back for a refund and that is the end of your problem.

No doubt the design engineer will be able to answer more accurately on the attributes of his design.

But ...might also be worth having your barrels checked if you are the only one with this problem at the minute.

Hope that helps. xx
Hi,guess i am a wannabe to!

Presuming Jim Muller is the design engineer i have read a few of his comments on this and they are quite contradictory on the cause of faults in some cases and some of them actually quite disturbing from my perspective.

i originally simply wanted to believe the hype about the product believing that here was a good source of information on the subject but unfortunately i seem to have proved myself wrong by doing so.

last night through my own ineptness i convinced myself that a choke key was the answer even though somewhere at the back of my mind i new i did not and purchased one although i have never needed one for the various other aftermarket chokes i have purchased over the years.

knowing that confidence in your equipment is a huge thing within shooting i have obviously totally failed to achieve my goal.

best rgds Mark

Patience my friend...I am sure the designer will be along soon....hopefully before we are all tucked in for the night.

Maybe I could help in resolving this matter to everyone's satisfaction?

schmokinn, First of all clean the barrel where the problem is, one assumes that original manufactured chokes are not a problem?

Take the original choke and the Muller and check every dimension that would affect the seating of the choke especially the dimension from the seating face to the threads and/or the abutment shoulder. A good gunsmith could check the seating visually with an endoscope or failing that with micrometer blue.

Unless you  carry out these tests the matter may never be satisfactorily resolved.

How old is the gun, what is it's history , have you had similar issues with OM chokes but never noticed it?

Lots of questions need answering.
Hi,most have actually been answered within the thread but i will repeat it is almost new probably less than 500 shells through it and no problem with oem or other aftermarket chokes,they have been removed and cleaned every time i clean the gun.

the endoscope idea is a good one and reminds me i purchased one a while ago for a different purpose.

i shall endeavour to do that shortly.

cheers Mark

What do you use to clean the threads inside the gun barrels? And what do you use to clean the threads on the chokes? Just out of interest and not a trick question.

I have a set of Mullers in my 686 E and I have reported previously that they do work loose and you need to check their tightness regularly.  As a result of this thread I have now bought a tapered choke key - I wonder how many others have as well and should Mullers not always have offered a key with their chokes if they now say that they can work loose?

There have been plenty of reports to say that various after market chokes are better and contrary views to say that manufacturers own chokes are bound to be best.  Any market has its products and related sales puff!

You pays your money and takes your choice.  If you lose faith then get rid or take a refund from Nick - he can't be fairer than that.

What I would like to contribute to this thread is a question.

What happens if someone has some barrel work done and then the gun gets sold on and someone else has no idea that the gun has been altered and buys some after market chokes to suit the standard gun but it has in fact got altered barrels.  Is it possible that this could happen or do the barrels have to be marked to indicate the change and if so how is a purchaser likely to know what to look for?

Hopefully some of our experts will be able to give some of us who are ignorant in this matter some guidance.

I do use a pair of Muller chokes but I am speaking from an independent point of view, not in anyway trying to fight their corner ! I am simply trying to understand what more Nick or for that matter Muller can do for you? You appear to have lost faith in the product .. don't use it ?? I really do doubt that there is likely to be a forensic diagnosis of the problem with this choke maybe there will it could be in Muller's interest to find out what happened here. You said you secured the choke fully but there may have been some sort of crud that actually stopped it being so fitted.. who knows? There are plenty of instances where a bolt or nut has been torqued to the correct reading only to find that a bit of crap was in fact causing the apparent torque and when loosened with heat or vibration a problem has occurred because it all falls out of kilter!
if you do use them how can you say you are independant when you chose to refute what i have stated,i have plenty of experience in tightening/torquing threads in safety critical applications and what you state only happens through not following proper procedure.

you may find it unbelievable but in a former life i attended a training meeting with someone who is regarded as a leading authority on threads and threaded fixings as the company i was working for chose to market one of his safety products,and it impressed upon me the need for cleanliness and proper procedure.

the original post i repeat was in the hope of gaining some information to boost my confidence in the product,unfortunately just the opposite has happened.

rgds Mark

What do you use to clean the threads inside the gun barrels? And what do you use to clean the threads on the chokes? Just out of interest and not a trick question.
Hi,a fair question i have a beretta chamber brush which i insert and then rotate to clean the threads then liberally spray with gun oil to remove any loose particles.

cheers Mark

Chop it in for fixed, job well and truly done and one less thing to fanny about with, ruddy multis should be banned :)

if you do use them how can you say you are independant when you chose to refute what i have stated,i have plenty of experience in tightening/torquing threads in safety critical applications and what you state only happens through not following proper procedure.

you may find it unbelievable but in a former life i attended a training meeting with someone who is regarded as a leading authority on threads and threaded fixings as the company i was working for chose to market one of his safety products,and it impressed upon me the need for cleanliness and proper procedure.

the original post i repeat was in the hope of gaining some information to boost my confidence in the product,unfortunately just the opposite has happened.

rgds Mark
I assure you I am speaking independently I have offered no bias at all. I have not refuted anything you have said .. I have said you could be mistaken that the choke was in fact fully seated basically because you cannot see the mating surfaces. I have a great deal of experience in working with things mechanical and I have seen things torqued up to the required tension only for the whole shooting match to fail because of hidden dirt in the system and of course as soon as heat or vibration are applied the inevitable happens and the system loosens off.. it can and does happen when you cannot be sure the parts are totally free from contaminants. I am not in anyway going to call your expertise into question at all you are it would appear expert in the subject I am not. My main comment was what more can be done for you by Nick or Muller? you have been given a new choke and also offered a refund... really what do you want out of this?

Not sure what you are after Mark.
You state that you wanted confidence in the product which you haven't found on this post.
I'm not sure why you don't accept the offer of a refund?

I use mullers have six of the bad boys, been using them for over a year, really happy and had no issues.

Had no problems with them at all, they go in finger tight and don't work loose, but I check them before every stand anyway.

I remove and clean them after every shoot, no tube is maintenance free.

Grease the threads and jobs a good'un.

Nick is a good bloke, and can not fault his customer service always very professional and quick.

I even got a free muller choke beany to keep my head warm.

Reading through the posts where else would you get customer service like this!

Not from me thats for sure, bloody customers are a right pain in the proverbial derriere.

There hasn't been a post for almost an hour and a half on this thread. Whats wrong with everybody? Has the poor old horse finally expired?

"you may find it unbelievable but in a former life i attended a training meeting with someone who is regarded as a leading authority on threads and threaded fixings as the company i was working for chose to market one of his safety products"

The long winter evenings must just fly...

My wife is a dab hand with a sewing machine does that make her an expert on thread and threaded fixings?

"you may find it unbelievable but in a former life i attended a training meeting with someone who is regarded as a leading authority on threads and threaded fixings as the company i was working for chose to market one of his safety products"

The long winter evenings must just fly...
Thanks for such a intelligent comment ed seen as you do not know me in any way...didn't say that i took my work home with me did i?

i mentioned it in response to a question,not like i wear it as a badge is it?

but obviously any body who is not pro muller should  expect that sort of comment from somebody sponsored by them!

cheers for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back