Are most guns over choked for sporting clays?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7iain7

When I first started shooting sporting clays I was lucky enough to partner with a few Guys who were very good shots.

I remember asking about chokes as I guess all new shots do.

The best shooter in the group told me he never changes his chokes and shoots everything with Skeet & Skeet.

I had hadn't changed my choke 1/4 & 1/2, other than to clean for years.

Few weeks ago I changed my gun (to a 525sl) & used Cylinder & Improved Cylinder.  

My scores for the last 3 session have gone up a Lot, but it might more to do with 525 suits me more than the SP did.

Just wondering what people's thought are regarding using very open chokes in modern guns are for sporting? 

I am sure the choke change wasn’t the reason for your upturn, as you say. 

Full choke was invented a very long time ago, when cartridges were frankly awful by todays standards.

Different cartridges make a greater difference to pattern than choke, so a cartridge and choke combination is critical. But, in short, a decent quality cartridge (especially plas wad) really doesn’t need much choke to smash the vast majority of sporting targets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started shooting sporting clays I was lucky enough to partner with a few Guys who were very good shots.

I remember asking about chokes as I guess all new shots do.

The best shooter in the group told me he never changes his chokes and shoots everything with Skeet & Skeet.

I had hadn't changed my choke 1/4 & 1/2, other than to clean for years.

Few weeks ago I changed my gun (to a 525sl) & used Cylinder & Improved Cylinder.  

My scores for the last 3 session have gone up a Lot, but it might more to do with 525 suits me more than the SP did.

Just wondering what people's thought are regarding using very open chokes in modern guns are for sporting? 
i live in the east midlands , i remember my introduction to shooting dtl a straw bailer  ray curry , Pete Burroughs  , terry Humphries      surprisingly i didn't win ,  i remember shooters using skeet guns at sporting and a trap gun at the odd long range target , all the top shots visited orston run by  Stan gladders  , Brian Gunn    and Nottingham gun club, sue and roger groves  ,  most use to shoot Winchester aa 100 s    cartridges have improved massively , choke hasn't  in my humble opinion  !!   

No is the answer. Skeet choke on a sporting layout has little if no use at all. 
If you used 2 chokes only which ones would you recommend?

or do you recommend changing chokes relevant for each stand?

Thanks

I think the truth is it’s down to the gun/cartridge - In my gun 3/8 seems really open and I miss many more than when I use 1/2. 

That doesn’t make sense, but somehow 1/2 is spot on for my gun at the range and with the cartridges I use. Other guns have shot the same with 1/4

I have Teague chokes for my K80, I have skeet, 2 x 1/4, 2 x 3/8 and 1 x  1/2.   I use 1/4 and 3/8 all the time and if I miss I never think it’s the gun, it’s me.  I have had some amazing hits with the 3/8 that people with 3/4 or full missed.  I used to put skeet in if I had a target that was close but since my lessons I don’t even think about it, I use RC2 8 for the majority of my targets and keep a few 9.5 for the close stuff. 
Its a confidence/in your head thing, find the chokes that work for YOU with the cartridges that you like and stick with them.

The reason why we have choke choice is simple: Whilst it's entirely possible to break a 50yd edge on crosser with a cylinder choke it's also entirely possible to put the shot in exactly the right place and not break a 50yd edge crosser with a cylinder choke.

Most experienced sporting shots that I've spoken to and who don't swap chokes much use LM or M for everything. The mantra seems to be "Use enough choke".

Was shooting the weekend and a couple were shooting with skeet and 1/4, even the high birds were breaking convincingly if they put the shot in the right place.

Just as some people with 1/2 and 1/2 were missing them , so would think it's 95% the person and not the choke 🤔😉

Yes full face clays are unlikely to find gaps in even a skeet pattern at 60 yards with a decent cartridge. (Edge on is a different matter). The slight problem is, it’s hard to develop yourself if only a few pellets are breaking a clay as you won’t get an indication of whether you were a bit top, front or back edge, which will help you dial in for future shots and is worth more long term than hoping for a few lucky pellets to boost your scores. 

It will only help you 'dial in' for future shots IF, your gun mount is the same for every shot  !

Was shooting the weekend and a couple were shooting with skeet and 1/4, even the high birds were breaking convincingly if they put the shot in the right place.

Just as some people with 1/2 and 1/2 were missing them , so would think it's 95% the person and not the choke 🤔😉
For Steel shot I would prefer this combination, as the pattern might turn out a bit tighter than with lead shot. But in general I would say 1/2 -1/2  and that´s it.

Not a big difference.

Back