Cartridge Speed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:fie:  Ed you should have been a "shrink"! far too clever to be just a shooter! :crazy:

Anyone who has been on the circuit since the 70'sand 80's should know that the best patterning shell of that era was an Eley Olympic trap 7.5 , the speed was I believe about 1150 fps the kills were hundreds and hundreds of 3mm pieces of clay if it was in the pattern?

This tells me that its not about speed! :crazy:   Anyone remember  Victory Sonics 1600 fps? lasted about a 12 month.

And in all seriousness the vast majority off all the shell stuff is marketing and between the ears of the shooter.

Most of the time, the only real difference between a £160/tho shell and a £240/tho shell, is about £80...
I just love standing behind those World Champions catching the Eley Firsts as they eject............  :sarcastic:

I haven't used a bad cartridge in a very long time and that includes game regardless of price, I don't think they make them any more, but I will add the only time it's worth spending more on cartridges is fibre wad cheep fibre wad are the pits,

Anyone who has been on the circuit since the 70'sand 80's should know that the best patterning shell of that era was an Eley Olympic trap 7.5 , the speed was I believe about 1150 fps the kills were hundreds and hundreds of 3mm pieces of clay if it was in the pattern?

This tells me that its not about speed! :crazy:   Anyone remember  Victory Sonics 1600 fps? lasted about a 12 month.
Nothing to do with the extra 1/8th ounce in those Olympics from those days. Still got a couple of boxes in the cupboard next to my Eley Paper Cased Supertrench. All 1 1/8th oz of course.

I loved those Sonics. Production was only ceased so that the Americans could power that rocket to Mars.

You are right though, I am a little "porky" these days.  :sarcastic:

Re cartridges

From my experience the main difference between cheap and expensive is not better or more kills it's consistency. If you ever put them through a chrono it is evident that the speed of many cheaper loads varies considerably.

Last edited by a moderator:
 As the late AJ Smith often said "The worst cartridge in the world is more efficient that the best shot!" :crazy:

I just love standing behind those World Champions catching the Eley Firsts as they eject............ :sarcastic:
And if you believe it's the shell that makes them win you need your head clearing out!

They shoot what they get asked to

As the late AJ Smith often said "The worst cartridge in the world is more efficient that the best shot!" :crazy:
And those Winchester Winners he used to use, were a fantastic cartridge. He had good taste, and what a brilliant bloke..

The sometimes late, but normally early, MJ Smith uses the best he can get, and enjoys every minute of it.  :biggrin:

And if you believe it's the shell that makes them win you need your head clearing out!

They shoot what they get asked to
My head was cleared out many years ago. Nothing but fresh air in there now.  :sarcastic:

Thankfully they are asked to use the premium brands, not budget club loads by their sponsors.

The day we see a British or World Sporting title won with, let's say, Eley Firsts and a Baikal (or the equivalent) is the day I will eat so much humble pie, you'll be able to call me Mr Pie, the Pied Pieman from Piemanshire.  :sarcastic:

I would use a Purdey, drive to shoots in a Ferrari and have my suits tailored in Saville Row if I could afford to. Wouldn't make me a better shot, but I would know I had the best of everything. I've always had to "make do" so don't try to take away the one indulgence I can justify to myself.

Told you I was a snob!!    xD

post-2433-0-94030400-1418061430.jpg

Attachments

• recoil..jpg
    recoil..jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Can anyone honestly tell the difference between a fast or slow cartridge apart from the recoil? I certainly cannot.
Of course!

The price, and sometimes the height of the brass, although not always the case. Have you not been paying attention?  :sarcastic:

Actually Chippy, going back to the original question and nicely bringing this reply on topic, the original poster was watching and noticed a difference, I notice a difference when I have been passed a "budget brand" compared to my normal loads.

Maybe I'm just a sensitive soul?  :biggrin:

Edit - Just another thought. All the people who chop and change their cartridges, trying this, trying that, seem to try all the same "type" but from different manufacturers. By that I mean, when did someone actually last get a box of "Hull Pro One" and test them against an RC4 for instance. Comparing like for like is no real use. Try a "Top End" cartridge against your usual thrifty brand and see if you can notice what I'm on about. You might not like it, they might knock you about too much or they might be absolutely devastating and change your life. They just might..........................but you have to give them a chance.  :sarcastic:

Last edited:
Someone once said to me "there's no such thing a a bad shell just ones you don't like if you think there's bad ones give me a couple go stand in that field and I'll shoot them towards you!"

Back