Cartridge Speed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was standing behind a shooter today, and was amazed how the clay seemed to break instantly, compared to previous shooters using different ammo. He was using Fiocchi Black Sporting, it was the instant the report the clay broke! Has anyone else noticed this, or was I just imagine it!
Where was that dude?

It is so cool when you dump on the Yank posers and you have those ranks of tweed wrapped, straight grip gun clutching shooters of pen raised birds that whoreship the high phes.  But, I digress.

SPEED !!!!

some is good

More is Better

TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH

just like all important things

Genuine question how do you tell? time to break the clay or by the amount of lead. 

You feel the speed. It all depends on the individual and I can easily believe those who can't tell, a bit like recoil I suppose as some deny ever being bothered by it, or glasses and their effect on visual pick up etc., shell speed can make a difference to lead pictures depending on your style/tempo/method plus you can also detect the time lapse, oddly enough on close to medium birds just as much as distant ones.

Like No.1topdog hints at there is a snappiness to faster shells which aids some people with their head game, break quality can also be often better with faster shells. Mathematical equations will of course prove  :rolleyes:  the lead difference on a 40 yard crosser is only 4" inches hence impossible for a human to detect but in practice things are just different.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also some shells that have a very instant propellant burn. (Takes place quickly rather than a slower burn) More of a SNAP that a BOOM if that remotely makes sense. The old Eley Olympic trap were very snappy to me. Kinda makes it feel quick.

So its mostly down to recoil feel.
And some very expensive ones can have a very crisp/clean recoil.

I am quite shocked that there is so much hostility towards the premium loads when most have only believed what they have heard from other shooters or read in the magazine reviews.

It seems most aspire to shoot a £10k Kriegarrazi and drool over the latest Blazerini, and then feed it a run of the mill cartridge. I work on the other principle that my gun is average, but I aspire to shoot high quality ammunition. This is my personal choice, and it does work for me.

It's like running your F1 car on 3 star and Aurogrip tyres. You just shouldn't should you?? But if you put Avgas in your Fiesta and run it on super grippy Yokohama slicks, you'd be king of the road???   :sarcastic:

To use the "best" cartridges on the market would cost me another £1000 per year. I'm just very glad I don't feel they will hit me any more clays, otherwise my shooting would cost another £1000 per year..

If you want to try what does feel like a slow cartridge grab a case of Express subsonic fibre wad 28 gram. Got some as the only ones left in the shop and they really do feel slow compared to the HV we normally use. And while my scores go up and down my son is normally consistent and his score dropped noticeably with this cartridge. Also tried some RC4 recently and really noticed the smoke given off...are they black powder?

To use the "best" cartridges on the market would cost me another £1000 per year. I'm just very glad I don't feel they will hit me any more clays, otherwise my shooting would cost another £1000 per year..
You would have to go from 21 gram comp x to Hull sovereign 28 gram and shoot 250 every week of the year to cost £1000

Deershooter

worst cartridge I've used was 'Caledonian', lumpy, dirty............instantly forgettable

Am going through various carts at the moment in all price ranges looking for one I like, so far there is a correlation between price and preference although as a less expensive cart I do quite like the Clever T2. Drago Skeet are front runner for I run out of Remingtons, but there's a lot of carts still to try. Would like to get hold of some Drago Trap to try, I'm assuming they feel like the skeet but 7.5 and 8 shot.

Back on topic, I don't know whether it's the time the shot takes to reach the clay or whether its the time the clay takes to come apart but I have written the odd clay off as a miss only to see it shatter a fraction later, have had it happen with both Clever T1 and White Gold.

worst cartridge I've used was 'Caledonian', lumpy, dirty............instantly forgettable.
Wish I could forget using them!!! 28g fibre at Scone game fair in 2013, didn't have enough T2 Mirage fibre, so I bought couple of boxes to re enter...viciously evil to shoot in comparison and so much soot you'd think you'd been shooting black powder!!!

If you want to try what does feel like a slow cartridge grab a case of Express subsonic fibre wad 28 gram. Got some as the only ones left in the shop and they really do feel slow compared to the HV we normally use. And while my scores go up and down my son is normally consistent and his score dropped noticeably with this cartridge. Also tried some RC4 recently and really noticed the smoke given off...are they black powder?
Exactly - people tend to compare near like with like which is why they find it difficult to tell or remember a difference, this is particularly so since nobody is actually going out there looking to see that difference.

Try a subsonic against a std velocity which you're used to  ;)  , you'd have to be asleep not to detect a difference in speed and hence leads etc, the drop in velocity can be as little as 200 fps ! Try shooting a .177 air gun at a 30 yard steel plate and then immediately repeat using a .22  :huh:   I guarantee you'll hear the time lapse - again only a 200 fps difference ! 

If you can tell between a sub and std you ought to tell the gap between a std and fast, if you can't it's because you're not looking.

I've told this boring tale before but years ago I took 900 Victory 480's back when having bought them to reduce fatigue and recoil I found they broke the back bird of a pair  :D   :dontknow:  thrown together and literally failed to break a few going aways which were clearly hit, they probably cost me at least 5 breaks I deserved.

Back