Misfire misery

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

So, my shooting mate has shot Superfast Plastics for years now, but just lately he has had a lot of “funny fires”, where there is a bang, but slightly different noise and very little or no felt recoil. The clay has never broken when this occurs either, so seems like a propellant problem. He had to give up using them at EJC today. (Then immediately had a purple patch using borrowed Fiocchi FBlacks, but that’s another story). 

Anyway, he checks at home that all his stock is the same batch. Then phones and visits the place he bought them from. They then tell him that as he hasn’t brought any empty casings with him (which I did suggest he do, but didn’t think it was a big deal) they could do nothing with his remaining stock. 

What have folk on here experienced in similar circumstances? Years ago I took a few thousand Eley Superbs back to a shop as they were leaving unburned propellant flakes around the ejectors. They were taken back and exchanged no quibble. 

No direct personal experience. I have had a few odd misfires but nothing consistent beyond the Fiocchi primer issue which is workable.

I would not initially bother with the retailer. I would email Hull with the batch number and ask them to confirm if there is a known issue. If there is then print out their email and return with it to the retailer for a full refund.

If they say no then shoot a few more and collect the empties as requested - the retailer is required to sell a satisfactory product (s.14 of the Sale of Goods Act) and if they are defective they are liable to replace all of the product and any consequential losses which would include money wasted on clays shot with them, travel costs to the grounds etc.  the more he shoots the more his claim mounts up.

And above all, keep us posted !!

No direct personal experience. I have had a few odd misfires but nothing consistent beyond the Fiocchi primer issue which is workable.

I would not initially bother with the retailer. I would email Hull with the batch number and ask them to confirm if there is a known issue. If there is then print out their email and return with it to the retailer for a full refund.

If they say no then shoot a few more and collect the empties as requested - the retailer is required to sell a satisfactory product (s.14 of the Sale of Goods Act) and if they are defective they are liable to replace all of the product and any consequential losses which would include money wasted on clays shot with them, travel costs to the grounds etc.  the more he shoots the more his claim mounts up.

Yes my mate is WAY less insistent than I am with service issues. Sale of goods etc would have been my stance. He’s going to try more on Saturday and collect empties. 

I did have an issue with some Gamebore, 20b. 24g. plastic wad, in 2020. Un-burnt powder was the problem.

This from one barrel, after a session.

I also had some 21g and 28g  that were fine.

I emailed Gamebore, and they credited me with 500 cartridges, to be collected from my local supplier. They did not want the remainder of the cartridges ( about 300 ) back. I picked up 500 from a different batch, but they were the same. Did not pursue it with Gamebore, Tried some Lyalvale, and have used them since.

Steve.

GAMEBORE 3 061220.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend had 2 strange misfires with Superfast plastic a couple of weekends ago. The lead rolled out the end of the barrel and welded itself to his forcing cone. I have had a few odd sounding reports and a lot of debris coming out of the barrels when using Superfast fibre. I have lost confidence in them now. All cartridges are stored in a warm dry place.

Having problems with F3 fibre with the amount of crap coming out of the barrels and they just don't sound right, more thud than sharp crack

Sounds like faulty loads to my engineer's mind but having said that, some shells definitely seem to like some guns more than others. I shot a lot of Hull 10-15 years ago when I could get a good deal for the club and never saw a single fail to fire other than dreaded Miroku/Browning firing pin erosion issues. A couple of years back I used some own brand Gamebore made shells and they left my barrels more filthy than anything else before or since, but other people commented on clean they were. Tried a 1,000 F Blu and very disappointed with the quality control, about 2/3 were 2.4mm and the rest 2.3mm. Not a big deal at my level but a few had bulged cases or wonky heads so about 10 ended up being scrapped. V. poor in my opinion. Since then I've been using Coley Gold Plastic made by Eley (The fibre version has wicked recoil BTW) and I love the way they vapourise clays without vapourising my shoulder and leave the bores pretty clean. No FTFs after about 10,000 either so it's all a mystery. 🤔

Its a funny old world,I have shot tens of thousands of Fblu cartridges and never had a problem, just goes to show how unquantifiable these problems are. Maybe it's how the vendor stores them. To be honest I have had very few dodgy cartridges over the years, might be luck or the small number of problems makes the headlines.

I'm on my second batch of 28gm fblus. I like them very much for £231 a thousand.

The first batch had 370 pellets per ounce. The current batch has 330!

Moral of the story - Ignorance is bliss!

PM. 

May offer the same result but just to be correct, the “sales of goods act 1979” has now been replaced by the “consumer rights act 2015”.

Latest posts

Back