Falling numbers of shooters.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my gun fitted at E J Churchill during my lunch hour (I work 1 mile from the ground) by Ben Hustwaite about a month ago. It was a Tuesday and the place was deserted. 

but I honest.y don’t think the price increases have hit home yet, give it another month and it may be a different story.

And if you are reading this Ben, yes the gun shoots a lot better since you fitted it to me!
You went to see BenH at EJC and no one there? 
For last two months been working in and around High Wycombe and Im hearing regular, no not heavy nor intrusive the sound of shooting all day every day Ive been there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to EJC a few weeks ago for a practice on a Monday or Tuesday and although car park fairly busy there was hardly anyone else walking around shooting much to our surprise. 

Gunsite and Hangman's Stone (sister shoots) are restricting numbers with a booking system because of overcrowding, it seemed to be working last Sunday

Gunsite and Hangman's Stone (sister shoots) are restricting numbers with a booking system because of overcrowding, it seemed to be working last Sunday
Do you have to pre -pay when booking

Hangmans yes (and hear that there were quite a few no shows) but am sure Gunsite is still just rock up?

If you look up Hangmans stone events on the CPSA site it says booking only by phone (the number is given.) Gunsite has no conditions on the CPSA site but I'd always check maybe a week in advance. 

I just squeaked in to Hangmans on the wednesday prior to the shoot last time

Shot Coleys this week I & another shooter had the ground to ourselves.

Was chewing the cud with a ref today, this chap gets out and about virtually everywhere in the South, he does think that entry numbers at competitions are waning, yes lots of shoots on but a tail off, we also touched on “new blood” which is another hot topic

I regularly park up in Coley's car park for lunch\type up my patient notes and it is nearly always quiet in the week. barely a handful of shooters unless they have a corportate do on. However, like Rich said, it's been like that for a few years probably because they know how to charge.....

I don't think people will really get hit by the cost of living until later on this year. It will be interesting to see if numbers fall then. I have always been an occasional shooter but even those few occasions are getting fewer....

, it's been like that for a few years probably because they know how to charge.....
Yep hiking up prices will turn more away and attract far fewer.

Park Lodge in Yorkshire seems to be by far the highest in my area at 40p per clay. It may be just me but I really cant see how they can justify that. Every regular shooter I know has shot there at sometime or another, but I dont know of anyone that still frequents it.

It’s a shame really as the towers are superb .  Are they still up for sale ? 

However when Thimbleby upgraded  and Churchill opened they should have realised that they needed to do something to compete . My main gripe with Park Lodge is that it’s as flat as a pancake and doesn’t have natural features . I still do go but it’s very selective every 6 weeks or so to use the towers  .

I still like Kelbrook mid week not  too busy , not silly prices , the trap reliability is first class and they always have some clever targets and a few big /long ones .  

Nearly everywhere for me is now £20-£35 in diesel so I do think twice about the value I get from the grounds otherwise It can end up being a £100 day out , and that’s a number that makes me stop and think . 

It’s a shame really as the towers are superb .  Are they still up for sale ? 

However when Thimbleby upgraded  and Churchill opened they should have realised that they needed to do something to compete . My main gripe with Park Lodge is that it’s as flat as a pancake and doesn’t have natural features . I still do go but it’s very selective every 6 weeks or so to use the towers  .

I still like Kelbrook mid week not  too busy , not silly prices , the trap reliability is first class and they always have some clever targets and a few big /long ones .  

Nearly everywhere for me is now £20-£35 in diesel so I do think twice about the value I get from the grounds otherwise It can end up being a £100 day out , and that’s a number that makes me stop and think . 
Yes i agree the towers are special, so i suppose just to practice on them may be a consideration.  But the rest of the ground offers far less than the likes of other much cheaper grounds in the area. 

Was chewing the cud with a ref today, this chap gets out and about virtually everywhere in the South, he does think that entry numbers at competitions are waning, yes lots of shoots on but a tail off, we also touched on “new blood” which is another hot topic
And that in itself is full of pitfalls  !

In the last couple of months I have introduced 6 newcomers to clay shooting, BUT it takes someone of great determination to obtain a shotgun Certificate nowadays. 2 of the above group are struggling to get their Doctor to sign the required proforma and 1 of the 2 has resorted to going to one of the outside bodies after waiting some 6 weeks for their own Doctor to sign the form. Thankfully, the local ground has club guns that can be hired to enable these newcomers to at least  'keep their eye in' prior to obtaining their own guns.  I shall be assisting them in their purchases of their first gun too, as and when that occurs.

No doubt numbers are dropping. I’ve been at two grounds this weekend, both host registered events and, up until recently, are usually busy. The first was very quiet, a few bods shooting practice but that’s about it. The second was the quietest I’ve seen it for months. Obviously the DTL weekend will have pulled many away but even so, there were no more than about 10 cars in the car park. The single topic of clubhouse conversation was how expensive the sport’s become.

Mind you, looking on the bright side, it makes winning much easier.

With the cartridge prices being as high as they are now I dont think shooters are practising as much as they use to. Spoke to few  at the weekend end and they were saying there local grounds are empty during the week days, fuel prices are not helping 

800 shot at the Beretta Worlds this week at EJ Churchill’s, despite the horrendous cost of food there! 

We went up to Thimbleby today . The place was rammed. It goes beyond the targets , the whole experience is good from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave . They have created a very nice ‘ golf club quality’  lounge with good  food . The reception is friendly and efficient , clean loos , great gunroom . Obviously they don’t shoot registered there , but they’ve got their offering right judging by the attendees , also nice to see so many ladies shooting . 

Back