How things have changed on here.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes as it’s been sent to I and I’d imagine all members that have chosen to be sent information by email. It’s not a full comprehensive detailed email I’d admit but it does give a summary of what’s proposed to vote yes/no on. Sadly out of the 20,000 plus members there won’t be many that actually care a jot about this or indeed much at all about the CPSA other than their classification, and no not for one moment do I think that that’s good, far from it.

Well for my level of interaction I’m a happy bunny, am aware that not all experiences are same 
So would not a comprehensive  explanation be more favourable,  to allow members to make an informed decision.  Maybe more would be inclined  to vote. Or is there more to this than meets the eye. 

Jasper

So would not a comprehensive  explanation be more favourable,  to allow members to make an informed decision.  Maybe more would be inclined  to vote. Or is there more to this than meets the eye. 

Jasper
Have looked for but cannot find much more than what was in the voting email, might pay to ask for one via your counties WM rep who is surely able to access any missing details. Voting apathy in CPSA has been going on for years, most just want to shoot & have a classification, no more. No idea, although aware that many countries struggle for members to take up committee roles so maybe change is needed at HQ to try for stability in somewhat turbulent times.

Have looked for but cannot find much more than what was in the voting email, might pay to ask for one via your counties WM rep who is surely able to access any missing details. Voting apathy in CPSA has been going on for years, most just want to shoot & have a classification, no more. No idea, although aware that many countries struggle for members to take up committee roles so maybe change is needed at HQ to try for stability in somewhat turbulent times.
I know that my county has struggled with membership for years. We have few places to shoot in the county which doesn’t exactly help. 
The other thing is that many shooters that I’ve met don’t want to shoot comps, so other than a magazine and insurance they see little reason to belong to the CPSA. 
I will admit that I fit into that category, so many guys I’ve met just go to a ground, shoot a few targets and have a chat. 
It can be a pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon. 
So other than insurance and a magazine, what’s in it for non competitive shooters? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if the motion to change the articles is better explained to the members(me) then I'll just vote NO. And it can stay as is. Simples. 

Jasper. 

I know that my county has struggled with membership for years. We have few places to shoot in the county which doesn’t exactly help. 
The other thing is that many shooters that I’ve met don’t want to shoot comps, so other than a magazine and insurance they see little reason to belong to the CPSA. 
I will admit that I fit into that category, so many guys I’ve met just go to a ground, shoot a few targets and have a chat. 
It can be a pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon. 
So other than insurance and a magazine, what’s in it for non competitive shooters? 

For non competition shooters, there’s a lot of non competitive shooters, I’m one for a start, other than the insurance aspect, and grant you there are other options for that I have to go along with you “little reason to belong to CPSA” line. However I would imagine that in this current anti gun ownership climate we are facing being a member of a shooting body has benefits, even if it’s just simply being another number in the membership stat and a little more funding for said organisation to campaign for all of our shooting be it clay / game 

This is very interesting. I am actually Salopian  but due to a glitch when the site was updated I could not login , after weeks of trying and numerous emails to admin I became frustrated and logged in as MR.ANGRY which as far as clayshooting is concerned  I certainly am not angry , frustrated ? Yes maybe but come on admin reinstate Salopian and lets get some worthwhile conversations going on here please.

We have lost many good friends off this site since the day we all met at Coley's , let us bring those types of days back please.

New discussion topic :- I have noticed the downturn and lack of footfall at grounds nowadays, YES  competition on Sundays seems stable and in good numbers , but practice days are very poorly attended apart from one ground local to me which is very popular on a Wednesday at £28 per hundred compared with other grounds charging £40 per hundred, with cartridges always getting more expensive we will soon revert to the days when clayshooting can only be done by the wealthy. 
I work near Coleys and pop in 2-3x per week (weekdays) to use the car park to eat my lunch\type up patient notes. It is so quiet up there. Only busy with builders at the moment. It's rare you see many shooters. Occasionally see corporate parties and the odd newbie lesson. The place is having a new clubhouse built but the rest of the ground looks very tired. If you go into the shop, you are usually outnumbered by staff 4:1........ mind you, at 42p per practice clay, I'm not surprised it isn't very busy.

I work near Coleys and pop in 2-3x per week (weekdays) to use the car park to eat my lunch\type up patient notes. It is so quiet up there. Only busy with builders at the moment. It's rare you see many shooters. Occasionally see corporate parties and the odd newbie lesson. The place is having a new clubhouse built but the rest of the ground looks very tired. If you go into the shop, you are usually outnumbered by staff 4:1........ mind you, at 42p per practice clay, I'm not surprised it isn't very busy.
Well it doesn’t surprise me. I know quite a few guys who no longer shoot and others who have cut back, myself included.

Ive heard that sporting shoots are well attended in the south and some trap grounds up north are still doing well. Down here in the south west I believe it’s not so good. 

Well I have not been here for yonks!  I also shoot small bore target rifle and two clubs that I shot in merged with 2 others and I ended up treasurer of the combined operation.  We have got substantial grants and over the past 5 years have built a new indoor range complex at Pinhoe and have the best indoor facilities probably second only to Bisley with 3 25 yards ranges, a 10m air gun range and a 50m outdoor range with all the appropriate facilities to go with it.  Much of the work and all the fitting out was done by a group of us who are retired.  Complex now insured for over £550k. So I have been busy on other stuff.  Last shot clays in January 2022!  Covid has of course played a big part in disrupting our lives!  My membership of Meltor and Two Bridges has lapsed but I still belong to the CPSA!  I must get up to Ashcombe which has been taken over and now runs regular sporting competitions.  I gather that the place has been dramatically improved!

The Target Shooting Forum to which I belong has also become much quieter in terms of discussion but carries a high volume of Classified Ads for guns and shooting equipment.

Well I have not been here for yonks!  I also shoot small bore target rifle and two clubs that I shot in merged with 2 others and I ended up treasurer of the combined operation.  We have got substantial grants and over the past 5 years have built a new indoor range complex at Pinhoe and have the best indoor facilities probably second only to Bisley with 3 25 yards ranges, a 10m air gun range and a 50m outdoor range with all the appropriate facilities to go with it.  Much of the work and all the fitting out was done by a group of us who are retired.  Complex now insured for over £550k. So I have been busy on other stuff.  Last shot clays in January 2022!  Covid has of course played a big part in disrupting our lives!  My membership of Meltor and Two Bridges has lapsed but I still belong to the CPSA!  I must get up to Ashcombe which has been taken over and now runs regular sporting competitions.  I gather that the place has been dramatically improved!

The Target Shooting Forum to which I belong has also become much quieter in terms of discussion but carries a high volume of Classified Ads for guns and shooting equipment.
Hello Robert, long time no hear, so to speak! 
Yes some of us have come back here. Some have sadly passed away too. 
Yep, Covid and the cost of living have taken their toll on all forms of shooting. My rifles went a couple of years ago, so I’m now down to just an old MK 38 to play with, when we get some dry and warm weather. 
Anyway, nice to see you back. 👍

That’s a lot of miles!!! 

Yeah I shot East Yorks back in the old days, good place to shoot. 
I think the lady you’re referring to is Nicola Heron. I’ve not heard anything of her in years. A good shot and very outspoken. 😂
Zombie thread but anyway

Yes, Nicola is the lady that you remember.  She is still way active in the sports and practically daily on facebook.  I'm not so sure about how easy she was to wind up.  She still feels no obligation to suffer fools and I've never noticed her adverse to offering facts or her opinion to any discussion.  Personally I find her an admirable representative of the shooting community and the sport.  YMMV of course.

OTOH I'm missing ips, Mr. Ian Speakman from both here and fb.  If anyone is aware of his status please let me know.  I have an old email for him but it gets no response even tho it doesn't bounce.

TIA for any assistance

and most definitely be safe

Charlie      

Zombie thread but anyway

Yes, Nicola is the lady that you remember.  She is still way active in the sports and practically daily on facebook.  I'm not so sure about how easy she was to wind up.  She still feels no obligation to suffer fools and I've never noticed her adverse to offering facts or her opinion to any discussion.  Personally I find her an admirable representative of the shooting community and the sport.  YMMV of course.

OTOH I'm missing ips, Mr. Ian Speakman from both here and fb.  If anyone is aware of his status please let me know.  I have an old email for him but it gets no response even tho it doesn't bounce.

TIA for any assistance

and most definitely be safe

Charlie      
Yes Charlie, he is still alive and kicking, despite having a respiratory issue 2 years ago. He is into the game scene now, no NOT tiddlywinks,  he works his dog on several shoots throughout the season and very kindly asks me as his guest to his syndicate shoot each year. I was a game shooter turned clay shooter, he is the opposite. Lynn, his wife and himself enjoy their touring caravan holidays, now they have retired.  He can often be seen on the narrow roads in the Lake District, with a long convoy of vehicles stuck behind him, throughout the summer months  !

I shall pass on your kind regards.

Keith.

Yes Charlie, he is still alive and kicking, despite having a respiratory issue 2 years ago. He is into the game scene now, no NOT tiddlywinks,  he works his dog on several shoots throughout the season and very kindly asks me as his guest to his syndicate shoot each year. I was a game shooter turned clay shooter, he is the opposite. Lynn, his wife and himself enjoy their touring caravan holidays, now they have retired.  He can often be seen on the narrow roads in the Lake District, with a long convoy of vehicles stuck behind him, throughout the summer months  !

I shall pass on your kind regards.

Keith.
A really nice chap is Ian and his adsence was noted when I came back which in part was the reason for this thread.  Please pass on my regards.

Phil

A really nice chap is Ian and his adsence was noted when I came back which in part was the reason for this thread.  Please pass on my regards.

Phil
I still hear from Ian from time to time. Yeah he’s into the green wellie stuff these days. 😂

I still hear from Ian from time to time. Yeah he’s into the green wellie stuff these days. 😂
Apparently he has also given up on 'Social Media'.............even the promise of us all being ANTI Social can't persuade him to return  !   😄

Like everything in life people move on. I personally will always be indebted to IPS, 40UP rip, Les53, Wonko , Hammy rip, Greg, Nicola and others I may have missed . When I came to the forum I was a beginner old and eager to learn I knew nothing about what I was trying to do.  Amazingly even without actually seeing what this twerp was doing they increased my scores to the extent I started hitting "vingt cinq's and even a few vingt cinq royale's ' ... I would not mind getting those ten years back again. My right wrist is now completely gone with Arthritis and I think I will have to stop shooting all together but I am in no bad nick otherwise 🤣 Anyway thanks to the afore mentioned .

Latest posts

Back