Cartridge Speed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in reply to any poster....but just in general....

When anyone says dirty cartridges (on a good brand).....I always think to myself.....they keep their cartridges in a garage or shed :laugh:

Often followed by the.....all the other batch I have been shooting (from the shed) have been fine.....all summer...!!

(Ninja mode......oh how I laugh. Sometimes people really need to think of weather patterns and humidity and....and....and......

And then keep then where they really want to be if you want top performance....in the house....nicely heated....with a cuddly blanket...and a soft toy for company......! These are our friends after all ...part of any winning team....so treat them as such..!)

Another good one is......'but I always keep my cartridges in the boot of the car overnight...saves me loading them in the morning....and it has only been -4 during the night...."

Laugh......oh how I laugh :laugh:

Last edited:
Wish I could forget using them!!! 28g fibre at Scone game fair in 2013, didn't have enough T2 Mirage fibre, so I bought couple of boxes to re enter...viciously evil to shoot in comparison and so much soot you'd think you'd been shooting black powder!!!
Tried them at the Drumlanrig Fayre, never again will I make that mistake not one single good thing I can say about them, total carp.

Agree with Tink, about taking care of carts, if you want consistent, reliable performance keep the things in a dry, room temp environment and don't subject them to big changes in temperature and humidity. Never thought of the cuddly blanket Tink, do you recommend fluffy or electric? :spiteful:

I used to go through tins of competition air rifle pellets [SIZE=13.63636302948px]looking for minor variations and [/SIZE]weighing them then putting them in batches of identical weight so that once I'd sighted in, I KNEW that they'd all behave identically, was just as fussy going through my Eley Tenex and made an insulated ammo box to put the next days rounds in once I'd sorted them the night before. Learned a hell of a lot about how ammo can vary due to minute variations between lead ingot and propellant batches and how different batches were suited to the harmonics of different barrels. Sounds a bit anal but what I learned, doing the batch tests down at Brum, was that a batch that didn't suit your barrel would drop you enough 'cartons' to lose you a match. Not saying shotgun carts are anything like as critical but I still like to do everything I can to keep everything as consistent as I can.

Biggest inconsistency at the moment is in my head :crazy:  but haven't got the time or access to facilities to work on that just now. 

RC4 not dirty just smoky :codemafia:   ...and at the price they are they live under my bed!

:fie:  I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to cartridges most on here have more money than brains. :crazy:

Clever Mirage T1's aren't tha fastest shell on the market, but I don't care because they are clean burning, easy on the shoulder, pattern perfectly through my gun and cost £166/k...don't get me wrong, I use Grande Italia on long/edge on clays, not that T1's won't break them, just Grand Italia's pattern tighter with harder shot, giving better breaks (most of the time) at distance, making it easier for the ref to see...

:fie:  I'll bet if you used Clever T1's in 7's on long birds your kills would be just as good? :crazy:

As has been said many times before, put the shot in the right place and the clay will break, just the manner of the break that seems to vary but a chip counts just as much as dust. In the end what matters is what feels right and works for you as long as they are consistent and you are confident that once you have that cartridge 'dialled in' then that's it. There are some carts I really like and some I wouldn't take as a gift except to put them in the Turkey shoot raffle, I also know that I don't like some carts that others rate and vice versa.

Price won't be an issue once I get to a decent level the determining factor is how confident I am in them, cheaper is good while I'm shooting up bits of sky/scenery but I don't want thumpy or dirty. Speed doesn't particularly bother me just yet as I mostly shoot Skeet and Sporting, though I can see that a faster cart have an advantage for  the Trap disciplines.

best gun  best shells  = best chance surely , yes I know  skill  technique  agreed ,   but  the most consistent shooters use the best  usually ,   

I had some pretty horrid fibre things but I managed to off load what I had left to phils. He really liked them .... apparently.

I used 24 gram Clever T2's for ABT yesterday (first barrel only) and I like um :)

Excellent breaks and nice and smooth to shoot.  From a house keeping perspective the lower barrel is considerably grubbier compared to the top which had 28g F Blacks through it. 

DT

I think if you were to look back at some of out top shooters who have won major Championships with run of the mill equipment. Duncan Lawton for one, springs to mind. Remmie 1100 semi auto, but just the plain black actioned model !

Yes some shooters of note have won big with bog standard guns BUT none that I know of have done it with entry level cartridges.

I think if you were to look back at some of out top shooters who have won major Championships with run of the mill equipment. Duncan Lawton for one, springs to mind. Remmie 1100 semi auto, but just the plain black actioned model !
Bill Mousalli won British and English Open Skeet S/S in 1994 and overall winner in 2008 of the English Open Skeet. He is known for using his Baikal S/S. Not sure if he used it for those wins but it would not surprise me as he is more than capable with it.

Like Ips says though, he wasn't using a budget cartridge. Perhaps a more important cog in the works than most realise?  :biggrin:   (Shhhhhh! Don't tell everybody!)

Cartridges are always going to be a personal thing and can make a huge difference not only in performance but how they affect confidence i won't use a thumpy shell as it affects my second barrel shot! as in bloody hell that was thumpy when i should be concentrating on other things also my style of shooting i.e how i prefer to interpret a lead picture dictates what i consider a suitable shell for my needs. continuity is the answer pick a gun,chokes, and cartridge and stick with it then concentrate on the targets and nothing else. :spiteful:

I think the old adage of buy the best you can afford may be relevant here.

I think that when these Guys were showing us how to shoot, the range of cartridges would be rather limited anyway. Can not recall anyone using Baikal though, probably a fire hazard ! I do recall that Winchester  Trap 100 and 200's and their lighter Winner range were quite popular on the Sporting circuit.

Shot Winchester 100 for many years in the 80s don't recall any issues with them.

Back