Cartridge recommendation for a 60-65% guy!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salop sniper

Am shooting just once or twice a month on either a 50 or 100 bird layout, so my scores typically are 60-65%. I know I won't improve much without more shooting/practise but funds and time don't allow.

I currently use Eley Olympics 7.5 plas wad!

But am curious about a "upgrade" of cartridge choice.

I love GB WhiteGold but that's not viable long term.

I have been looking at Gambore Evo's VS Eley Superb. But am not sure that it will help me anymore with kills, comfort or performance.

I tried fiochi top 1's and they were a pig for plastic fowling so I won't be having them again.

So what do you lot think. . . .

Worth changing from the Olympics and try: Superb's or Evo's ?

ATB

Matt

Can I ask why you are looking to "upgrade"? Serious question. What do you think you might achieve by it? What is it you don't rate with your present cartridge?

Am shooting just once or twice a month on either a 50 or 100 bird layout, so my scores typically are 60-65%. I know I won't improve much without more shooting/practise but funds and time don't allow.

I currently use Eley Olympics 7.5 plas wad!

But am curious about a "upgrade" of cartridge choice.

I love GB WhiteGold but that's not viable long term.

I have been looking at Gambore Evo's VS Eley Superb. But am not sure that it will help me anymore with kills, comfort or performance.

I tried fiochi top 1's and they were a pig for plastic fowling so I won't be having them again.

So what do you lot think. . . .

Worth changing from the Olympics and try: Superb's or Evo's ?

ATB

Matt
The only thing that could arguably improve your scores by 1 bird is trying 8's - the Olympics are a perfectly suitable shell for your purposes and reasonably priced.

If your trying to improve your scores it's not going to come from your shell's. I would buy a slab of anything I could afford to try and if I liked them and could afford them regular stick to em. Work on your weaknesses ask for tips from those better than you try different things, as far as kills, centre pattern will be dust ,chips will still score the same ! I've been shooting pro ones from hull and they really inspire confidence but recently tried some budget carts guess what..........

Try Hull Superfast plastic or fibre, they seem to work well enough through both my Miroku and my shooting Buddy's 525. At under £160/1000 for plastic, excellent value. Oh, by the way, we are both using them through Briley extended chokes I/C in both. He is in the 50/60% but he is nearing 80 (age) and I am in the 75%. Make your own assumptions.

P.S. It must have been the way you were storing the Fiochi's that caused them to be dirty ! 

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect intended but don't get bogged down with this shoot what you can justify and shoot as much as you can there is no magic cartridge.

Will, it's a perceived confidence thing I guess !

Some say a large part of good shooting is psychological and it's something I've got in my head.

Hulls sound good but aren't sold anywhere I go / local.

Price wise am looking at:

£43 Olympics

£46 Evo's

£52 Superbs

This is per 250 which is the same as the 1000 rate!

Will, it's a perceived confidence thing I guess !

Some say a large part of good shooting is psychological and it's something I've got in my head.

Hulls sound good but aren't sold anywhere I go / local.

Price wise am looking at:

£43 Olympics

£46 Evo's

£52 Superbs

This is per 250 which is the same as the 1000 rate!
Ok, as long as you accept its psychological! Therefore you will need to hit the spot that your brain feels happy with, this could simply be parting with more cash! Or liking the look of the box.

Personally I find all Eleys dirty in the barrels so just don't like them. EVO are a great 24g shell pattern - and smooth- but nothing special in 28g form.

A great shell if you want to splash some cash is a Clever Granditalia T3. Smooth, clean and very even patterns. The T2 are cheaper and nearly as good. But as you admit, it's in the mind, so try a few and see which make you feel good.

You will see no difference with any budget cartridge if you upgrade go for something midrange like

Hull pro one

Express Super comps

Eley Superb's

Gambore White Gold

These will cost about £5.50 a box (£22 per 100 bird shoot )

Top end would be

Hull sovereigns

Express World Cup

Gamebore Black Gold

These will be About £6.50 a box (£26 per 100)

Your budget cartridges are about £4.30-£4.50 a box ( £17.20 - £18.00 per 100 )

Total yearly spend on 1200 cartridges = 12 x 100 bird shoots on budget is £190 , midrange £264 , top end £312

I would stick with midrange like super comps

Deershooter

The easiest way is to get a box of each and put one box in your left pocket and the other in the right..

Load your gun with brand X in one barrel and brand Y in the other.

After shooting the targets you will come to the conclusion of either:

A ) It doesn't matter what you shoot you can't tell a difference.

B ) You start to favour one cart and start to put it in the barrel which you are going to shoot at the hardest or furthest away clay or even the same cart in both barrels.

If A is true then get the cheapest if B is true then get that one.

The biggest difference is going to be in your head and unfortunately that can only be sorted out by you regardless of other people's preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously change nothing ! I've just started shooting clays again, i am shooting the same coarse once a fortnight with both a 12 and 20 bore, obviously different cartridges and my scores are pretty much the same with both. But i am seeing a steady increase in my scores week on week so just practice as often as you can :hunter:   

I think the usual advice for any new/relatively inexperienced shooter is to shoot what you can afford and what you can get hold of regularly but to not get hung up on what it is..... I can miss just as well with White Golds as I can with Superfasts...

Agree with the general points being made. On the whole, for me and given the choices you have identified I'd go for the Evo's :good:  

Back