Hi from Canterbury, Kent

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aweaect

Hi

Just joined and saying hello. I'm in Chartham, near Canterbury but originally from Bath/Bradford-on-Avon where I learnt to shoot clays at Roses Wood as well as shooting rabbits on farms.

I'm a member of Greenfields where, between large breaks, I shoot fairly regularly. I am however C class and looking to get the break when the penny drops and I shoot better than my average of about 65/70. I did shoot 81 in a competition once and thought that was it but nope, I returned to my average. Anyway, I enjoy the practising ;-).

I came across this site as I was looking for cartridge comparisons, I use Eley Blues and my 1000 are coming to an end so just thought I'd see what else people are using. Going for a 100 bird practice today so I thought I buy 4 boxes of different ones to try, not sure what yet but probably Superbs and some non Eley ones, I've always used Eley cartridges since I was a kid so trying other brands almost feels unfaithful.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting to some of you, I run a forum myself in East Dulwich so hopefully I can contribute usefully.

Take it easy

Mark

There are lots of good ones frankly. It's usually a blend of what is sold near you, coupled with price appeal. Personally, I feel the only advantage in very expensive cartridges is that SOME have a very smooth recoil feel. I use Rio Target 20 28g. They are cheap, v reliable, clean, medium recoil, good patterns. But probably you can't buy them near you.

I also like Gamebore Velocity. Cheap and excellent. Express Power Blue are good. (I had a batch with some duff ones but I am told that is cured on new stock).

Hamster, on here, is in your area and can likely give practical options.

Enjoy.

Hi Mark,

My first house was in Chartham  :)  and I have lots of happy memories from there. Backed onto a field with a horse, big aviary the size of a room that I kept rabbits or chickens in at times ! 

I wouldn't buy 4 different boxes of ammo, even a very experienced shooter would be hard pushed to compute any meaningful differences in a session. Get a 2 boxes of Fiocchi Top Ones and a couple of Superfasts, both available locally and good enough for your needs. 

What you settle on long term will depend on recoil, price, availability and of course which one happens to fill you with confidence as you load them into the chambers. 

Say hello if you see me around and we'll share a round, I'll be doing Abbey 70 comp and Greenfields reg tomorrow.

I too loved the Eley Blues, but they don't make em any more, so am I also searching for a substitute. Let us know if you find one. I've tried Olympic Blues, Velocity, Blue Diamond, Evo's, there all good but not like Blues. White Gold next. Good shooting.

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum i also shoot Greenfields on a regular basis if you have a chat with the guys there they will order differant cartridges in providing they deal that brand so don't feel you are stuck with whats on offer at the time, For a sub £200 shell the Fblack Fioochi take some beating or equally as good but slightly cheaper Fblues.. always shoot the best you can afford. if you spot me come and say hi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome and the tips everyone. Hamster and Shaun, I do recognise you from Greenfields, in fact Hamster you were behind me last week on trap 5 when I scored a rather embarrassing 1 (I then went to score 10 on trap 6!)

So earlier I tried out the Top Ones, Superfast and a few left over Blues and Superbs and I've gone with the Superfasts. To be honest there's not a lot in it but the Superfasts were "neater", less recoil, a sharper punch and slightly quieter. Anyway, the proofs in the pudding, maybe see you at the comp. there tomorrow.

ps I've just realised the forum's using an picture of me from a couple of years ago during Mo'vember, I no longer have a ginger 'tash on my face.

Welcome like a few others I'll be at Greenfields first thing tomorrow then onto abbey! I'll be the miserable one with the stinking hang over!!!

Back