Cartridge recommendations for a newbie ..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only just started, have been using Fiocchi FBlu 28g and 24g. Good price down by me, but I suppose that's because I know the dealer personally. Although of course my step-father still has to buy them for me :D

I've only just started, have been using Fiocchi FBlu 28g and 24g. Good price down by me, but I suppose that's because I know the dealer personally. Although of course my step-father still has to buy them for me :D
And if you're happy with them, stick with them for the time being. As you become more accustomed/experienced you'll try a few other brands perhaps; and you might even settle on a specific cartridge one day. More likely you'll join the rest of us on the Holy Grail Trail. :biggrin:

ps - nowt wrong with 24g loads either. Stick with them, save yourself a few quid.

Kent Velocity, one of the best and cheapest on the market, most of it is hype anyway, but for sporting this 7.5 is great

Sorry Nick, I meant of 28g vs 21g CompX referred to above

Looks like they are the ones to go with at 170 per thou

Will try 21g too as faster and a little cheaper

Extra money can go in more coaching!

Thanks chaps!
Another vote for Comp X here as another relative newbie... Bought 1000 at £166 and am half way through them. Unfortunately work has this nasty habit of getting in the way! :comando: Can't fault them though. Comparatively cheap as chips and clays are breaking with increasing consistency when my head is in the right place.

Rio 20 Target Load. 28g of 8's. Well made and inexpensive which throws excellent patterns with moderate recoil.

Rio Target Load. 28g of 8's with a plas wad. Currently paying £150 per thousand. This is a lot of performance for not a lot of cash!!!

Falkirk Sporting Shooting Club( Central Scotland)are selling said cartridges for £150 per thousand to members. This is a non profit making club that put on very challenging sporting targets verging on FITASC standard for a very reasonable charge.

Hi, just thought I'd give my 10pence worth here.  I am 3 years into my clay shooting life and have shot cheap to expensive shells to find what I like the most.  I settled on Fiocchi Official Traps for Sporting Clays.  Smooth and hard hitting.  I have however, just bought 1000 Fiocchi Top 1's for practice and I have to say that they could rapidly become my favourite shell.  Smooth with great patterns through my Mk38, its like shooting a 24gram shell when they are 28grams. 

I know a few Top shots that use them at my local club.  Great breaks and they are as cheap as they come!

Back