Cartridge testing - how to really know...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
come on get real are you going to enter competitions as mr X get a life shooting is a sport not something to hide 

I just don't have to share it on social media, if you were going to help you can from the details shown....

Last edited by a moderator:
come on get real are you going to enter competitions as mr X get a life shooting is a sport not something to hide 
your time of the month again is it,you are without doubt the most unfriendly obnoxious member on here that pops up on occasion spouting vitriol....and thats on a good day.i would call you downright mean but that would be insulting mean people.

To try and put an end to the choke, cartridge, pattern plate threads may I suggest that anyone seeking advice or answers buys the book 'Sporting Shotgun Performance ' by Dr. Andrew  C Jones  ISBN 978-0-9566627-0-5 published by Hither Brome

To try and put an end to the choke, cartridge, pattern plate threads may I suggest that anyone seeking advice or answers buys the book 'Sporting Shotgun Performance ' by Dr. Andrew  C Jones  ISBN 978-0-9566627-0-5 published by Hither Brome
unless you upload it to the site with a massive banner pinning to it and a link on every page....newbies are still going to ask and why shouldn't they,occasionally a litlle gem of humour or information pops up.

if they didn't there would be nothing for days on here sometimes!! :wink:

The main makers have brought out a large number of new shells recently. I see nothing wrong with discussing them on here. There is not much in performance gains or losses of the top shells that anyone could tell anyway.

Just you drag this roughly back on track, I wasn't asking what cartridge, but how to test..

seems that people have stock answers they want to roll out regardless of question..

happy new year everyone!

testing is a bit subjective,some people believe the pattern plate is god and there are several ways of using that.

i think probably the best way is to buy a couple of slabs of the ones you fancy and see which ones you feel the most comfortable shooting and seem to be giving you the best breaks.

confidence is everything and just because you see a wonderful pattern on the plate this may not neccessarily translate into being the cartridge you shoot best with i have shot masses of different types and no matter what else i always end up wanting to shoot the smoothest/least recoil ones.....barring a few soveriegn extreme range parcours in 6.5 for those massively distant edge on targets.

in saying that it is just a confidence thing as i forgot them on wednesday at Purbeck and was still breaking a 70 yard plus looping teal with 8's and Ed would probably get them with 21gram comp X's

my personal choice at the moment in plastic hull sporting 100 as they are so smooth and break anything i can hit in fibre hull pro fibre 24g as they have not failed me and have slighly less recoil than the 28's

at our club shoot last week i ended up shooting ultra cheapo fibres made no difference to my scores but they certainly kicked more and left me a bit rattled after 200.

i guess what i am saying is a consistently smooth cartridge will give consistently smooth scores due to less recoil awareness/fatigue.

happy new year and enjoy your shooting

The main makers have brought out a large number of new shells recently. I see nothing wrong with discussing them on here. There is not much in performance gains or losses of the top shells that anyone could tell anyway.
You do know that if the cartridges had nothing written on them and the colours were all the same you would shoot them all just as well as each other... and I would put money on the results being the same. My advice for what it is worth is to go with the one that sooths your mind the best and forget the rest because if you THINK you get better results with a particular cartridge then its one mind tickler ticked off the list.
Absolutely!

Patterns are shotweight-speed-choke dependent.  The color of the cart is not a factor.  All I ever pattern for is POI and that is only the first time I shoot a new gun or change stocks.  I know what Perazzi chokes do no matter what is stuffed in there and I just pick a cart for the game at hand.  But then I'm a fairly insensitive clot about many things and I suppose this could easily be one of them.  

I'm pretty certain tho that I've never had a cart miss a target.

just sayin'

Charlie

Just you drag this roughly back on track, I wasn't asking what cartridge, but how to test..

seems that people have stock answers they want to roll out regardless of question..

happy new year everyone!
Jussssst to put you in the picture you are asking the best way to test cartridges and people are replying ... why bother you won't be able to tell the difference when shooting at a target. Shooting at a pattern plate may be a good way of finding out where your gun is shooting in terms of pattern placement but will not tell you much about whether you are going to break the target. You have had a world champion already tell you forget the pattern plate and shoot one that you have a feel good factor with. You say you are a novice so the last thing you want to go worrying about is what cartridges you are shooting... because they will have nothing what ever to do with your score... put your shot on the target it will break and a pattern plate does not tell you that much about how to get the shot on the target other than where the gun shoots ... I don't think that is going to change from one cartridge to another.

Thank you, I do sometimes suffer from 'don't touch that it's hot syndrome' .. Ie I have to find out for myself, when I have convinced myself then I can be comfortable and not suffer from 'what if'... Hence why I need to prove things to myself... This can of course be summed up with the term 'stubborn git'... 

For  the avoidance of all doubt I am immensely grateful for all advice, world champions and mere mortals included.

We have a saying in our place  - "Hungry crow never believes the stuffed one." Being new - mind boggles - head must be kept occupied and a pattern plate is as good as a forum oppinions to keep you at peace ;).

I have always tested all my cartridges through all the chokes at 20 and 40m respectively to get a hold of their performance on close and far stuff.

On trainings I have achieved my best scores with the crappiest plate performers - 24g RC2's loaded with steel shot - would I trust them on serious competitions - no bloody way! :ahappy:

The simple answer to your original question is, buy 1,000 Gamebore White Gold 8's and just shoot them. Consistency in shooting comes from practice and learning the idiosyncrasies not just of the gun but also the cartridge and the combination of the two. I find I shoot better with a 7 1/2 shot size, the difference between 7 1/2 and 8's is minimal but that is what I mentally prefer.

Like others have said, pattern plates offer limited information, you can use them to see the effect of choke but to be honest so will shooting a round of skeet. If you are a recoil wimp (your words...) I would shoot the Evo 24gm in a 7 1/2, I shot FITASC with a very well known professional who used these at that shoot and he won it by a country mile AND the kills were awesome.

Look, this stuff need not be rocket science!!! Just pump different shells through the gun, whichever one gives the best kills and is most comfortable to shoot is the one you want!! Simple!  It's far too easy to get involved in pattern plates and science, but it really is not necessary. I generally will know within half a dozen targets, whether a shell is for me or not. Keep it simple and have fun!  ;)

Look, this stuff need not be rocket science!!! Just pump different shells through the gun, whichever one gives the best kills and is most comfortable to shoot is the one you want!! Simple!  It's far too easy to get involved in pattern plates and science, but it really is not necessary. I generally will know within half a dozen targets, whether a shell is for me or not. Keep it simple and have fun!  ;)
It's funny how the most experienced shooters come up with the best advice. Now how does that work I wonder?

Great answer Les53.   :smile:

It's funny how the most experienced shooters come up with the best advice. Now how does that work I wonder?

Great answer Les53.   :smile:
Ha.....lots of wasted time and money over the years have a bearing on it!    :lol:

Thanks guys, this is great, the biggest challenge is reliably getting consistent supply of the same thing around here, sporting 100 are like rocking horse pooh and latterly Evo and White Gold seem thin on the ground, I could on'y get 24g pro one the other day. I will take your advice and buy in bulk, I don't really want to add another mental element, I think I shoot these equally well with all of these.

The simple answer to your original question is, buy 1,000 Gamebore White Gold 8's and just shoot them. Consistency in shooting comes from practice and learning the idiosyncrasies not just of the gun but also the cartridge and the combination of the two. I find I shoot better with a 7 1/2 shot size, the difference between 7 1/2 and 8's is minimal but that is what I mentally prefer.

Like others have said, pattern plates offer limited information, you can use them to see the effect of choke but to be honest so will shooting a round of skeet. If you are a recoil wimp (your words...) I would shoot the Evo 24gm in a 7 1/2, I shot FITASC with a very well known professional who used these at that shoot and he won it by a country mile AND the kills were awesome.
Yep, definitive recoil whimp... I think it stemmed from using blue diamond, Fiochi fblu and fblack before having corrected my gun mount, it's like my brain expects recoil to hurt, it's quite difficult to get out of.. Plus gun is fairly light and has standard microgel pad, but fits really well now so I don't want to alter it.  I think that Evo will be my choice, when I can get them...

Back