Cartridge recommendations for a newbie ..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi Guys

Sgc arrived on Sunday and collected my new 686 Evo this morning and set out by myself for the first time today .... Wow it's harder without a coach!

Anyway, I tried two cartridges in an effort to pick one and stick to it, Gamebore whitegold 28g 8 and Hull CompX 28g 7.5

So obviously misses weren't the fault of the cartridge, or the gun, or the wind/rain/sun etc

I likes both, I think I prefer the white gold ..... But 210 per thou is quite a bit for a novice...

Any suggestions? My local store stocks Gamebore, hull, lyvale, victory, eley, and rc

Thanks

Get what you can get locally, they should have some at 160 ish.Non of them could be labelled bad.

:fie:  Stick with the Hull comp X a lovely soft cartridge that patterns well and will not kick the poo out of you! :hunter:

Thanks Guys!

So, put the White golds away for a bit and stick to Comp X?

I should have added I am going to the gun show 14/2 (Mrs D very pleased) so if there is anything outstanding I could get them then

Shot CompX when I first started. Great price and very soft recoil (28g) and for the price difference of the white golds, you can nearly get another 250 shells.....

Affordable and available is all you need at this stage. Nothing over 170 per k will have any advantage for you. Save your pennies for clays that is more important than a fancy box or deep brass. Unless of course you have deep pockets.

i'm no expert but I would rather have the extra shells than the extra pellets...
Sorry Nick, I meant of 28g vs 21g CompX referred to above

Looks like they are the ones to go with at 170 per thou

Will try 21g too as faster and a little cheaper

Extra money can go in more coaching!

Thanks chaps!

Comp X are very good, alternatively you could consider the Gamebore Evo at about the same price. I tried to buy 1000 Comp X on Saturday, but they'd sold out, says something I'd say. 

Try some 36gram gamebore buffaloes they will learn you to hold your gun and get your shoulder muscles in trim :tease:

Only joking they will empty your pockets and your mouth of teeth
lmao.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Comp x are nice and soft. Their 21g ones are very good and cheaper. They will break anything..
I have been using these quite a lot lately and they give good kills (on the odd occasion I point the gun in the right direction).

My other cartridge is Gamebore Evo in 24gm and I really like these.

I use whatever 28g is around, as for plastic or fibre?, I find plastic cleaner , but have fibre as well as shoots like pilford only allow fibre.

Mike

Dickie,I'd have to do a120mile round trip to get that choice of quality cartridges. As the guys suggest, the comp x will do all you require for the time being

Get 12 months shooting under your belt and then maybe try a few other brands

Good luck, and enjoy your shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
Back