Cartridge testing - how to really know...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Having made the rookie mistake of trying too many different cartridges to find the 'magic' one I am now struggling to find the difference in the final three. I would appreciate any tips on finding 'the one' from three, which are:

Hull sporting 100, I like these but are tough to get supply of locally

Gamebore 24g evo 8, I like these and the sxs copes with them without killing me and I am a recoil whimp so I think that these help with second target

Gamebore 28g white gold 8, I like these too and I feel that I get more from them than 24g Evo, especially on longer targets (despite having no evidence due to inconsistency)

They are all close enough in price for the difference not to matter as I won't shoot more than 5000 in a year

Please, please don't give me any new suggestions of cartridges..

I just need a way to prove to myself the best one for me and then stick to it

You've already answered your own question.  In your mind you get more from the white gold so those.  

I have used those three and frankly they are all good, but different. They will all kill clays well, so use the one your gut tells you is best. The White Gold I found fairly high recoil so I'm surprised you entertain this, as the other two are very smooth.

From those three I would use the Hull sporting in 8 shot.

its a pretty personal thing about cartridges but i think you answered your own question 

Gamebore 28g white gold 8, I like these too and I feel that I get more from them than 24g Evo, especially on longer targets (despite having no evidence due to inconsistency)

I have used those three and frankly they are all good, but different. They will all kill clays well, so use the one your gut tells you is best. The White Gold I found fairly high recoil so I'm surprised you entertain this, as the other two are very smooth.

From those three I would use the Hull sporting in 8 shot.
I would too I think, but local supply is an issue..oddly I have found white gold to be fairly soft..

Thanks everyone, so it's essentially now down to confidence rather than anything else?

I would too I think, but local supply is an issue..oddly I have found white gold to be fairly soft..

Thanks everyone, so it's essentially now down to confidence rather than anything else?
They really do all work! Yes, use the one that you don't have to think about while shooting. All thoughts on the clay.

You do know that if the cartridges had nothing written on them and the colours were all the same you would shoot them all just as well as each other... and I would put money on the results being the same. My advice for what it is worth is to go with the one that sooths your mind the best and forget the rest because if you THINK you get better results with a particular cartridge then its one mind tickler ticked off the list.

My advice would be to pattern your gun firing at least 10 of each make and go with the one that gives the best pattern.

Recoil and cost doesn’t break clays, pattern does.

Having made the rookie mistake of trying too many different cartridges to find the 'magic' one I am now struggling to find the difference in the final three. I would appreciate any tips on finding 'the one' from three, which are:

Hull sporting 100, I like these but are tough to get supply of locally

Gamebore 24g evo 8, I like these and the sxs copes with them without killing me and I am a recoil whimp so I think that these help with second target

They are all close enough in price for the difference not to matter as I won't shoot more than 5000 in a year

Please, please don't give me any new suggestions of cartridges..

I just need a way to prove to myself the best one for me and then stick to it
if you filled out your profile properly my be people could help with sourcing cartridge supplies 

My advice would be to pattern your gun firing at least 10 of each make and go with the one that gives the best pattern.

Recoil and cost doesn’t break clays, pattern does.
Thanks, this makes sense, I will try to find a clay ground with a pattern plate in Essex or Suffolk 

The pattern plate can often fill your mind with doubt......... if your happy shooting 28g white gold why shoot 24g better looking at it than for it 

Thanks, this makes sense, I will try to find a clay ground with a pattern plate in Essex or Suffolk 
Actually I don't think it does. If you are going to test the ones you have why not shoot  three or four rounds with each type and note the scores and make your choice based on scores and feel. If you do go down the pattern test route have fun analysing all the data! And it could be a heart break when you have done the testing got the cartridge selected and the shoot a lot of crap with it. You know what? When I miss a target I never mutter to myself damned pattern was all wrong with that cartridge... get your shot on target and it will break regardless of pattern plate guff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree above. Leave the pattern plate and shoot what feels best. Sporting 100s take a lot of beating I'm probably switching to them next season

If the cartridge makes the difference of 1 break in 100 I'd be very surprised.

unless you are scoring high 90's on a regular basis then vascillating about your choice of cartridge is about as much use as worrying about putting Shell or BP petrol in your family runabout.

I bought a couple of slabs of Black Gold's, they made not the blindest bit of difference to my scores over using budget bangers.

If life was that simple The man with the biggest wallet would win every shoot.

I shot over 20000 hull superfasts in 18 months, every single one except 1 went bang and my scores steadily improved, I changed to another budget cartridge and my scores continued the same trend. 

I find the pattern plate very useful. Iam always testing cartridges to find one with a large hole in the centre of the pattern and a large spread of flyer's all around extending to about 5 ft. 

Back