Learning cartridges....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonix

After some advice please.

I've been shooting for about 3 months. In that time I've tried the following cartridges:

21g hull comp x

27g hull superfast

24g game bore Evo

28g eley Olympics.

I'm currently half way through a slab (250) of the evo. I really like the smooth feel of them! Although I also quite liked the Olympics too.

However, ive read a few times on here, that you should "pick a cartridge and stick to it!"

If this is the case, am I better off learning and sticking with the Olympics because they are 28g and therefore more commonly used in competition, light game, etc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Regards,

Si

Last edited by a moderator:
After some advice please.

I've been shooting for about 3 months. In that time I've tried the following cartridges:

21g hull comp x

27g hull superfast

24g game bore Evo

28g eley Olympics.

I'm currently half way through a slab (250) of the evo. I really like the smooth feel of them! Although I also quite liked the Olympics too.

However, ive read a few times on here, that you should "pick a cartridge and stick to it!"

If this is the case, am I better off learning and sticking with the Olympics because they are 28g and therefore more commonly used in competition, light game, etc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Regards,

Si
Use whatever floats your boats and kills the target!

The 'one cartridge' thing is not a ballistic comment, it merely means that if you shoot only one, it is something to forget about so you can concentrate on pointing that barrel correctly.

If you like the Evos, try them in 28g form. They may be almost as smooth as 24g. I for one use 28g to take away 'the worry' that 24g might be a small disadvantage.

Some people do not get distracted easily and can happily shoot a mixed bag of shells without disturbing their mental state. If I put a different shell in I am likely to flinch on the first shot! Know your own head.

Well I currently use

21g Hull Comp X

24g Gamebore Evo Plastic

28g Power Blue

I prefer 24gm Gamebore Evo as the main cartridge but depending on my psychological needs I sometimes use 28gm Power Blue and 21gm Hull CompX together depending on the targets.  I am no expert and my husband does try to stop me doing this but if I have a difficult bird and an easier bird I like to use both.   The reason being that if I mix the two, I am less tired and less battered.  Although to be fair the 28g Power blues don't kick me that much.

Well I currently use

21g Hull Comp X

24g Gamebore Evo Plastic

28g Power Blue

I prefer 24gm Gamebore Evo as the main cartridge but depending on my psychological needs I sometimes use 28gm Power Blue and 21gm Hull CompX together depending on the targets.  I am no expert and my husband does try to stop me doing this but if I have a difficult bird and an easier bird I like to use both.   The reason being that if I mix the two, I am less tired and less battered.  Although to be fair the 28g Power blues don't kick me that much.
I used to use various cartridges and at times it was fine. But in competition; you walk up to a complex stand and have to go through a perhaps hurried strategy plan for shells before tackling a hard enough task, namely shooting them.

I remember when I used to use 21g fibre Express on close stuff. Low recoil and great spread. I was at Weston wood and had the 21g in the first barrel, with a 28g 7 for a long crosser (effectively second target of a sim pair). The close rabbit was so quick it went behind the bush before I managed to shoot it; so I shot the long bird only. Smashed it with the 21g fibre.

My other problem is that when I put in my `long distance shell` I had a poor success rate (due to the targets) so began to lose faith in that shell, by association!! Not long after I decided to get one shell and get on with it.

I used to use various cartridges and at times it was fine. But in competition; you walk up to a complex stand and have to go through a perhaps hurried strategy plan for shells before tackling a hard enough task, namely shooting them.

I remember when I used to use 21g fibre Express on close stuff. Low recoil and great spread. I was at Weston wood and had the 21g in the first barrel, with a 28g 7 for a long crosser (effectively second target of a sim pair). The close rabbit was so quick it went behind the bush before I managed to shoot it; so I shot the long bird only. Smashed it with the 21g fibre.

My other problem is that when I put in my `long distance shell` I had a poor success rate (due to the targets) so began to lose faith in that shell, by association!! Not long after I decided to get one shell and get on with it.
I understand that but for me at the moment the 28g is giving me psychological comfort and some of my birds have improved particularly at places like Westfield and Westonwood.  I don't think I will want to use them long term as my main cartridge to be honest and will settle on 24g as my main cartridge for everything.  When I am on it I have hit some very long stuff with my little 21g so I would not speak again them and will continue to use them.  It is a question of getting what I want from my supplier really.

... It is a question of getting what I want from my supplier really.
That is always the key for me...  find a shell that works for you, that you can find locally, and at a reasonable price that suits you...  and then stick with it as much as you can.  

As Clever says - one less thing to worry about.   

+1 to all the above really.

I shoot one cartridge that I know will break any target likely to be thrown at me that day no matter how hard it may be, or how far. If that cartridge doesn't break it then I had the gun in the wrong place!

If it will break the hard, distance ones then you can bet it will break the easy, closer ones too!  :biggrin:

This leaves no self doubt if you have the "correct" cartridge in the gun.

Clever for god sake stop the hedge monkey stuff and stick to TRAP then choose your shell  job done  :)

Back