Who does what?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check before you go Hotshot because the Helice is not always on and it is on the OT layout so you would shoot Helice first and when that is finished it will turn back over to OT.

Normally the practice days are on a Wednesday (see their website www.a1sg.co.uk  for which Wednesdays). It is not every week. 

If i am there i will be happy to give you pointers :smile:

Wasn't having a dig Skeetfreak, at a glance 200,000+ clays between 144 looks a lot, 1500 each doesn't really seem that much, perspective is a great leveller!!!
I know - no worries. I was worried you had mis-understood my post about me saying 200,000+ targets for a minority discipline in the UK was good IMO, so wanted to make sure that i made my point clearer in case it was the way i had typed it.

i suspect the disciplines i listed above will struggle to get near that number per person / overall for pure and simple accesability reasons.

I will see if i can dig out the worldwide NSSA figures of registered targets shot - now that will be a lot i suspect.

Check before you go Hotshot because the Helice is not always on and it is on the OT layout so you would shoot Helice first and when that is finished it will turn back over to OT.

Normally the practice days are on a Wednesday (see their website www.a1sg.co.uk  for which Wednesdays). It is not every week. 

If i am there i will be happy to give you pointers :smile:
Thanks Nicola, I may well take you up on your offer.

DTL will dwarf sporting in parts of the country, DTL guys shoot all year round, at a guess I think DTL would not be that far behind sporting for no's of clays shot!!!
You're probably right. I doubt anyone in Yorkshire or Lancashire shoots anything but DTL!

You're probably right. I doubt anyone in Yorkshire or Lancashire shoots anything but DTL!
Loads of good sporting shots and shoots in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria although I must admit that the trap disciplines are also much better supported up North than down South.

Dtl

sporting thing

abt

skeet

Ut

ot

some other stuff

etc

but propper trap ot Ut abt are the only ones that matter really. :)

And to use a nic - ism

just saying :)

274368 (or can I call you 274),

If you're serious and not piss taking what makes you think that? 

A little bit of digging on the new CPSA members area where I think you can filter by discipline and county would disabuse you of that doubt.  I would be surprised if in any county the number of active participant in English Sporting wasn't at least double the active participants in all the other disciplines put together.  I'm a CPSA county committee member for God's own county, Cheshire which isn't too far away from either Lancs or Yorkshire.  We struggle to put teams together to represent us at inter-counties championships in any discipline other than ESP.

Mr Potter

Mr Potter

Don't take it too seriously. It's a 'tongue in cheek' remark. That said, DTL's heartland is in the Northwest and has been for many years. Oddly, it seems many shooters from around there gravitate towards trap rather than other disciplines. Maybe the proliferation of trap grounds within a reasonable distance helps.

Only Yorkshire and (sometimes) Lincolnshire can run them close.

Mr Potter

Don't take it too seriously. It's a 'tongue in cheek' remark. That said, DTL's heartland is in the Northwest and has been for many years. Oddly, it seems many shooters from around there gravitate towards trap rather than other disciplines. Maybe the proliferation of trap grounds within a reasonable distance helps.

Sssssssssh don't get him going (lacks sense of humour for anything other than spppppooooorting :smile: )

Yeap I am with you....trap or skeet is where lots in the north start with before going off ssspppooooorting....because of the grounds and what they offer.

Hey Jan, don't forget Notts. We'll have a good pop at DTL too :)

Without doubt sporting is the most, last time anyone quoted a figure to me I think it was nearly 75% shoot sporting but DTL is almost certainly number 2.

Hey Jan, don't forget Notts. We'll have a good pop at DTL too :)

Without doubt sporting is the most, last time anyone quoted a figure to me I think it was nearly 75% shoot sporting but DTL is almost certainly number 2.
Not forgetting that the majority of Trap and Skeet shooters will at some time shoot a registered shoot so will be included in the figures as they will be CPSA members.

As for sporting if you could ascertain how many shoot at the numerous small clubs and grounds dotted around the country without ever entering a registered shoot or belonging to CPSA the number would be colossal.

For example 2 years ago here in Kent there were 916 CPSA members of whom only approximately 325 had ever shot a registered shoot. Of the remaining nigh on 600 I bet that most of them shot sporting, add that to the none members in the county who shoot sporting and I think the number would double or treble at least. 

I don't think anyone doubts Sporting is the number 1 discipline in this country in terms of participants. The problem is casual shooters don't show on the statistics and that's where trap gains momentum. The % proportion of participants shooting trap at a competitive level is probably higher than any other form of clay shooting. You only need to go to an event like the Krieghoff DTL to see what I mean.

Anyway, horses for courses as they say.

Notts Jules?! I remember a few with faces like a smacked bottom when we did them in the regional intercounties last year.

and in their own back yard too!!!

It'd have to be in our own back yard, you haven't got a decent trap ground!!!!!

I love the notts/lincs rivalry :)

Mr Potter

He is right you know, hisorically all the very best DTL shooters have been lancs or yorkshire and there aint no denying it.

Us northerners kick southern ass at DTL :)

Well see this article is out now......

had a quick read of it yesterday and it seems that its not that far from the predictions on here. Three things surprised me though.....

i). The fact that sporting was SO FAR ahead of DTL and the very small % figures of some of the disciplines 0.25%, 0.75% etc etc.

ii). The small average number of targets shot per person (sporting 650pp, skeet 400pp, Double Trap 155pp - for examples) makes the 1500 average shot by the NSSA shooters seem better than i thought originally and that it stacked up very well against the CPSA disciplines despite its drawbacks.

iii). That ABT was ahead of UT - was not expecting that as in the world i am exposed to UT seems far more popular - but then i am bias i guess.

Latest posts

Back