Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owls lodge today in very bright sun. A great set of testing targets, firmer than most places I’ve shot since lockdown ended. Stuart Rudling leading on 93 when I left, which tells you something. There was a definite problem this afternoon though, with vision on some distant coloured targets in the bright sun. I saw several people not even pull the trigger. Even though I saw them it was very hard to connect properly. My worst stand was not a vision problem, just didn’t stay consistent on the sim crows and dropped 3 out of last 4. 🥴 Finished on 86. 

It feels like we might finally have spring here! the sun is out and it's not completely cold. 

Barbury on Sunday for me for the second of the England selection shoots. Also a great chance to shoot the ground before the Open in a few weeks. These shoots certainly help to keep the average in check 😂

I went to Redricks today, near Harlow. I went to their first shoot a few months ago and the course has really developed. This was about their 5th shoot I think. I believe they have made the shoot consistently firmer. 

It was a very good course with only one or two fill-in stands. Lots of technical angles and variety. Really enjoyed it. I’ve found a bit of form just lately and finished on 91 after a distracting pigeon cost me a pair on the last stand. (It wasn’t that close so I didn’t feel I should have called for a distraction. Perhaps I should have..)

James Bradley Day hit a 99 which is bonkers. He is the deadliest sporting shooter in the UK at this time I reckon.

I’ll definitely be back there.

Anyone braved the awful weather today, it’s absolutely hammering it down and blowing a hurricane 

I staid indoors, got wet enough last Wednesday 

Anyone braved the awful weather today, it’s absolutely hammering it down and blowing a hurricane 

Nah.. I’m actually getting lucky with weather timing lately. It’s bad for two days and I’ll be out at Coleys on Wednesday which looks alright. 

Er, wind & rain that’s norm for you boys that are west of Severn 😊 ? see MrMyers ventured east and has had a rather good day.

Well Coleys didn’t go well. I’m blaming (myself for) two things. Firstly was working out that my average since lockdown was at an all time high which messed with my head. Also a great pair of new headphones actually felt weird and distracted me. Both pathetic factors but I’m a sensitive soul. 😆 I missed about 6 in the first 10 stands that I really feel I would have hit on a decent day 

It was a good course, tricky in a good way on most stands. Stand 11 was unnecessarily tough in my opinion though and with my head a bit down by the time I got there it was never going to go well, truly wrecking the card. Oh well. Down to earth. Probably will assist me for next shoot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleys today and somehow managed to dodge the biblical weather until the last stand!

I was 9 away over the first 10 stands, then stand 11 and the hail storm happened. I ended on 82 😂

Coleys also for me, stands 5 and 11 put paid to a half decent card. Stand 11 was particularly brutal.

Interesting weather, I haven’t shot in a hailstorm for a while and it was very unpleasant, roll on summer.

Unwisely went to Coley's as I have a half healed sprained right wrist. Wasn't my day by and large, still struggling for consistency, then I messed up a couple of the early stands in the hailstorm.

I was first up on stand 11 and my old brain went to sleep on the orange 1st bird. Kept doing the same thing instead of thinking clearly so I missed 3 of those. The battue was okay for those familiar with Longridge where there's always at least one long crosser or bat. I should have hit all 4 of them but underlead the last one. I don't think anyone else in the squad scored more than me on 11.

I did enjoy the shoot though, there was a good mix of targets and I'll look forward to going again. Hope they keep up the standard.

After a couple of practice sessions at Sporting Targets and Grimsthorpe I returned to the registered scene today.

Steady enough course at Gunsite and a steady enough 89 with no real disasters (couple of stands I was worried about the 2nd bird and was a bit cautious on the first missing one or two), nice to be out competing again though.

I did the Royal Berkshire Handicap Challenge today. 

Anyway it’s changed a touch now as their high tower was damaged by a falling tree and has been removed from the competition, so it’s now out of 92 targets. All previous scores are adjusted and the scoreboard is correct out of 92 now  

We started on 4 pairs on a practice stand, added since the tower was removed. Turns out my 15 year old Hull Sovereigns I brought still worked. 😂

I missed a rabbit on first real stand, then battled to 14/20 on the firm compak layout. I was doing well on the grouse only missing one, until the covey of battues at the end. 4 clays in the air at once and I missed them all. Kicked myself. They were much nearer than previous years and I just shot in front. Twit. 

A notable stand about 3 from the end had a mean sim pair. My whole squad struggled. I was lucky to be last up, so had hugely rehearsed hold points and visual pick up points, managing 9/10, which propped my card up a bit. Finished on 87/100 or actually 79/92 for the scoreboard. I think it will be enough to make the final looking at other scores, so fingers crossed.

I recommend having a go, it was very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's all gone very quiet in this sub forum. Has everyone but Will and a couple others quit shooting sporting or are we just keeping quiet till the pre lockdown form returns?

Me? I'm a comparatively low volume shooter and half of that is at places like Meadowcroft or Somerset which would be pretty meaningless to most on here.

Well it's all gone very quiet in this sub forum. Has everyone but Will and a couple others quit shooting sporting or are we just keeping quiet till the pre lockdown form returns?

Me? I'm a comparatively low volume shooter and half of that is at places like Meadowcroft or Somerset which would be pretty meaningless to most on here.
Yes, I do feel I’m talking to myself a bit with one or two folk reading. 😆

OK, I'll chip in with last weeks efforts.

Churchills last Thursday.  First Reg comp of 2021 for me.  Started well, straight on 1 and 2, only dropped two of the longer crossers on the scaffold platform stand, which I think a few other people struggled on.  Lost focus a bit after that and dropped a couple of each of the following stands.  Managed to hit two of the orange teal (that I found difficult to see), which I was happy with as I'm been a bit off with teal since restarting.  The real meltdown came on Stand 9.  Sim pair of left to right targets.  I dropped 9!  Head was all over the place on 10 and dropped 4.  Got it together again and was just 1 away over the last two stands.  Finished on 71, but actually scored 72.  They did me out of a point by marking me missed pair on Stand 7, when I hit the first target then had a no bird and missed the repeated pair.  Slightly annoying, but in the grand scheme of things makes no difference to a mediocre score.

Kibworth last Friday.  Leaked targets throughout this one.  Was hitting first pairs and then being careful trying to make sure and missing as a result.  Last few stands I got angry with myself and just shot them - helped a lot.  Enjoyed the targets, particularly the huge battue on Stand 11. The valley created by having two big banks built close together also makes for some very interesting below the feet targets.  Thought I was going to have a much worse score than at Churchills, but the last few stands saved me and I finished on 72.

Highwaymans for us on Sunday. Never shot there before and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Had 2 bad stands and not one straight, either dropped last 2 or last one which is annoying.  Need to concentrate more on that and I need to get my arse into gear re chokes.  First couple of stands and a few later ones were really close, could have easily used a skeet choke especially as two stands were sim pairs.  No point having chokes if I don’t change them!  After having a PB at Barrow week before down to earth with a normal 70 this week,   I must admit Pip is not well enough to walk round the courses any more so we had to leave her in the truck which was playing on our minds quite a bit.  Booked in for 2 sporting this Sunday so that should be fun!  

I’ll happily tell you all how many I missed during my sporting practice sessions!

To be fair, I’ve overcome the nerves and worries, and this Sunday sees me going in for my FIRST squad shoot ever, at a small local club in Kent.
Blimey... people watching me, and I’ll have a score-card and everything!

So watch out Will... I’ll be on your heels soon! 🤣

I’ll happily tell you all how many I missed during my sporting practice sessions!

To be fair, I’ve overcome the nerves and worries, and this Sunday sees me going in for my FIRST squad shoot ever, at a small local club in Kent.
Blimey... people watching me, and I’ll have a score-card and everything!

So watch out Will... I’ll be on your heels soon! 🤣
That won’t be hard. 😀 Best of luck, enjoy. 

Back