Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot Westfield over the weekend for the first of the England selection shoots. It was certainly a firmer shoot but everything was hittable. A few head scratchers that you only work out after you've shot it and walk 50m away to realise there was a twist to the clay that you couldn't easily see from the cage. Classic Lovatt/Westfield!

Looking at the basic average score from each class the scores were down below the CPSA cutoffs for each class, but that should surely be the case for a team selection shoot?

• C Class. Average 55.6% - CPSA class range 70.77-0
  • B Class. Average 64.4% - CPSA class range 78.13 - 70.78
  • A Class. Average 72.8% - CPSA class range 84.77 - 78.14
  • AA Class. Average 77.6% - CPSA class range 88.90 - 84.78
  • AAA Class. Average 82.9% - CPSA class range 100-88.91

My thoughts: 

Really enjoyable (after the first 5 stands). Felt the start was a bit firm which possibly broke people? Targets were of a high standard, enjoyable and left you questioning your reads most times.

Would certainly shoot that sort of shoot again but maybe an approach to the selection shoots could be have them un-registered? Can still go on to the CPSA site but have them sit outside of your averages. Possibly something to do for the majors as well? 

There is no point having a standard shoot where we'd have 15-20 people on 94+ for a selection shoot based on points difference. 

EDIT: I should say that I shot 77/100, which is 6 below my average (in A class). I was pleased with that, especially as that score was an average AA score. No complaints from me :)
Firstly no I did not shoot this event, secondly Im C Class and this shoot was the first England Team Selection Shoot, and the West Midlands Area English Sporting Championship, add then its at Westfield and in April too boot, all the ingredients (perfect storm?) for it being, as MrLovatt described this very morn as being "a tad too hard" Now the shooters all competing for an England place will have expected nowt else (if it was the last selection shoot then things would have been different Im sure), those for the WM Area much the same, but for the vast majority of As, the Bs and Cs that booked in you must have expected a very very tough day? 

Me, as mentioned Im jobbing along C class, so the England bit is pie in sky as is the WM Area Champs, I don't possess the all round skill set for such, nor is one likely to, so no I won't be flogging myself to "improve" as is a common retort. 

It must be though a devils job getting any shoot right for the 100+ differing opinions, this shoot being described as "too hard" some, due to a shot or two having a blinding day as being "too soft", course setting is not a job Id want nor do I have the rhino hard skin for.

... but for the vast majority of As, the Bs and Cs that booked in you must have expected a very very tough day? 
... I never shot Westfield either. But I am shooting the next selection shoot and SW champs at Barbury at the end of the month, and will be expecting an equally tough test.

Hopefully it will be an insight to the up coming English Open there.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I never shot Westfield either. But I am shooting the next selection shoot and SW champs at Barbury at the end of the month, and will be expecting an equally tough test.

Exactly, shooting the selection shoot there should give a great insight and set expectations for the Open.

Well i cant comment on the difficulty of the targets at Westfield(i wasn't there) i can only say bloody well shot miles machin a A class county shot joint hg at a England selection 👏👏👏.

Willinghurst for us today.  
Just noticed that [SIZE=11pt]Willinghurst is under new management they are open for business and they have three start times (on Friday:) [/SIZE]9:30, 11:45 & 14:00. Does anyone know how that works? is it squadded?

for info - Fixtures | JBD Sporting

Just noticed that [SIZE=11pt]Willinghurst is under new management they are open for business and they have three start times (on Friday:) [/SIZE]9:30, 11:45 & 14:00. Does anyone know how that works? is it squadded?

for info - Fixtures | JBD Sporting
They’ve had to close for the time being, not too sure of the reasons so don’t want to say anything but they put a post on FB stating that all scheduled dates are on hold and will keep everyone updated with any changes. Hope that helps!

They’ve had to close for the time being, not too sure of the reasons so don’t want to say anything but they put a post on FB stating that all scheduled dates are on hold and will keep everyone updated with any changes. Hope that helps!

I have no idea what is going on but JBD just sold a load of traps pretty cheap ...
Haha so you are suggesting I check before turning up on Friday? I did ring JBD and the lady (Lauren)said that there will be no more shoots under the JBD name. RIP

Left peg permitting I too will joining you (but you know that as you booked one in), personally have always found any competition shoot at Barbury a stiffer than most ask and am not expecting anything less for these two either, that said am only really "competing" with others in my class and all in same boat there.

Well, 4 of us shot the Holland and Holland Challenge shoot.  Never been there before so it was lovely to see such a beautiful place, lovely grounds, nice staff and Will!  Now, Will did warn me about stand 7, saying I would struggle to see the first target as even though we were on a platform there was a bloody bush right where you wanted to shoot and that I would be lucky to see it.  Started great on stand 1 dropping first rabbit out then straighten the rest.  Got to stand 2, first one in and it was a l-r just skimming the tree line, I could just about see it when out the cage but when I got into shoot I saw it for literally a second before it disappeared behind the trees.  Disappointed to only come away with 2/8 as I struggled to also see the green going away.  Stand 3 was no better, again a l-r that was so low, nobody in my squad saw it properly.  I ended up having to shoot in the air just to get the second target on report.  Again, a green target just flopping away and I was so upset about not seeing the first target I only hit 3 of the going away so 5 away.  I do not mind getting a loss if I’ve had a decent go at the target and the target beat me but to have 4 zeros when you can’t even see them because your short is bad course setting.  Stand 4 a green going away i could hardly see over the hedge with a crow as second target.  By this time I was loosing the will to live!  I decided to use the rest of the shoot as a “training” session, so got my head down, changed my glasses to the 62CHCP which were brilliant, I could see the green targets if they weren’t behind a bush!  Straighten stand 5, dropped 1 on stand 6 then got to the dreaded stand 7.  As Will suggested, I stood right in the left hand corner but even then it was a struggle.  I think I’ve taken most of the bush out with my shot and I haven’t a clue how I done it but ended up only dropping 1 🤗🤗 dropped a few of the going away as it was straight in the sun on next stand but didn’t end up too bad.  Finished on a 71 with a 2 and a 3.  Could have been so much better though.  I just wish the course setters would bear in mind that we are not all tall. I don’t know how many times it’s been mentioned on here before but surely it must be common sense?  Could they not go round with a pole that’s let’s say 4’6” or something and crouch down so their eye level is the same as ours?   I’m 4’11” and really struggled today but made the most of it, as I say lovely ground, really nice hot chocolate, toilets to die for and it was great to see Jonathan Ward who I’ve not seen for a long time.  

We did a corporate shoot for Clients at H&H a couple of years ago.  Fantastic facilities.

Well, I emailed H&H, not to have a moan but just to say if they’re going to be putting in regular shoots this would have to be addressed, it has to be fair for all. I had a lovely phone call from them today offering me a complementary round.  I explained I didn’t email them for that but appreciated the gesture all the same.  I cannot do the challenge as targets cannot be changed now but was very impressed with the way it was dealt with. Good service. 

Well, I emailed H&H, not to have a moan but just to say if they’re going to be putting in regular shoots this would have to be addressed, it has to be fair for all. I had a lovely phone call from them today offering me a complementary round.  I explained I didn’t email them for that but appreciated the gesture all the same.  I cannot do the challenge as targets cannot be changed now but was very impressed with the way it was dealt with. Good service. 
They are due to change the course after this one ends on 28th now I believe. You can see they are dipping a toe with competition shooting and have some lessons to learn, but I’m in favour of keeping it to constructive criticism (as Donna did) because this place can be a great resource for us comp shooters in time. 

They are due to change the course after this one ends on 28th now I believe. You can see they are dipping a toe with competition shooting and have some lessons to learn, but I’m in favour of keeping it to constructive criticism (as Donna did) because this place can be a great resource for us comp shooters in time. 
If they start doing a monthly reg there that would be great.  Could do with another one within a 2hr drive.

Totally agree Will, so many of us moan about not being able to see a target and unless we tell them they don’t know what to change but it’s the way you go about it.  It would be great if they did start to do regular shoots there, I thought it was lovely and enjoyed it. 

Court Farm this afternoon. First comp this year for me, albeit not a Reg one. Defo not match fit. Straight on the first two stands, one away on 3 and then I started to wobble. Started dropping last pairs or one bird of the last couple of pairs. Then dropped 5 on a following teal that I should have been all over. Put both things down to being over cautious and aiming instead of just shooting the bloody targets. Did ok on crossing stuff, managed to rein in the overleading. Finished on 78, but it wasn't a tough round and should have been mid-80s on those targets.

Honesberie for me today, again another really enjoyable round. I managed 85 (possibly 86, not sure on my maths 😄). Scores are up but it looks like one of my stands might have been confused with the person I shot with. Will be sorted quick I'm sure.

They have the best flowing system that I've shot. You go around as a pair and it's rare that you get to a stand and have to wait for the pair in front to finish shooting. It runs super smoothly and helps ensure there is no bunching of people.

Honesberie for me today, again another really enjoyable round. I managed 85 (possibly 86, not sure on my maths 😄). Scores are up but it looks like one of my stands might have been confused with the person I shot with. Will be sorted quick I'm sure.

They have the best flowing system that I've shot. You go around as a pair and it's rare that you get to a stand and have to wait for the pair in front to finish shooting. It runs super smoothly and helps ensure there is no bunching of people.
Yes it is certainly the quickest round I know, due to the pairs method. 

I enjoyed it. Maybe wants one more hard stand, but some good stuff there. A stellar entry makes it look easier than it is. I had a nightmare on stand 7, missed 5 just trying to hit the orange in the wrong place until the last attempt. Got annoyed and missed the other clay too. Really silly. Otherwise not bad. Finished on 88 which would have been 90 if I had not stopped the scorers give me two kills that were losses..

Well, not quite in the league of most here yet, but had a great day (and first day) at West Kent last week for a practice session (thanks for the tip @donna ).

Really nice ground and well laid out. Great tower!

managed to get myself up to 58, so not applying for the GB squad yet, but it’s an improvement and a PB. Going the right way, still enjoying it, and still very much learning! 

... But great fun!

Note to self: book next coaching session!)

Latest posts

Back