Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Monday 29th I went to Ian Coleys as a friend was picking up a gun. Glad I went as we found a much more suitable gun for him, just a shame I had to double his budget. He's bought it now and is over the moon so that's the main thing.

Then the first real shoot back was Honesberie on Good Friday. Really great to be back out! They set the course just right for coming out of lockdown. Steady but with a couple of their normal bigger targets in the bottom field to keep people on their toes. Managed 92/100 which means I've finally broken the 90 barrier after 5 years of shooting  :D

Ian Coleys today for their April registered. I can only assume after the last performance today will see me in the 70's!
Well shot. Honesberie scores were all pretty high, so I’m expecting a kicking when I visit later this month as they “correct” it. 😆. Good luck at Coleys today, I’m there next month.

College Farm was good as ever yesterday (a distinct contrast between a hard first half and a steady second half). Oxfordshire Shooting school reg on Friday. So far, post lockdown I’ve been shooting quite well but can still do some daft stuff. I live in hope of fixing that.. probably in vain. All good fun, just glad to be back out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Coleys today for their April registered. I can only assume after the last performance today will see me in the 70's!
Might see you there Doug as I've booked in too. A moment of madness really as it's a true bogey ground for me. Frankly, I'd be delighted be in the 70s as I find it awkward and tricky almost all the way round. We'll see...

Well that was a bloody cold affair at Coleys 😂

Enjoyable shoot, again set with the recent lockdown in mind. Few sloppy bits at the start but I often find that to be the case when I dash out from work to shoot in the middle of the day. Ended on 86 which isn't too bad. I imagine there will be some decent scores in again today as it attracts some talented shooters!

Coleys also, yes it twas very cold, not at all with it for first few stands and made a hash on a stand of a couple of l-r orange, squad all tell me I started in front then went further in front, oh well old dog new tricks etc. Did feel that anyone whose been out a few times might really fill boots. Left when squads still out few mid 90s from a few of the AAA & AAs mind you this fellows put them in week in week out regardless.

Credit where credit's due, Coley's wasn't as awkward as usual with a few more open stands and some that needed lead! As Rich says, those who'd blown away the cobwebs did hit good scores but for some reason I completely fouled up on the last stand. I'm blaming it on the cold weather and tight chokes but hey, I still got into the 70s so I went home content with my first outing since Xmas. 

I shot at Coley’s yesterday, had my best score ever with my first time getting in to the 70’s. Would have been better but couldn’t hit the second bird on the last stand🙄I think I was giving it too much lead when non was required. Also my first registered shoot since changing cartridges from Hull Superfast to Fiocchi Fblack👍🏻

Westfield this weekend for the England selection shoot and then Holland and Holland on Tuesday for the challenge shoot. I think there's space on our squad if anyone would like to shoot it? We're on at 11:30 on Tuesday 13th.

I shot at Coley’s yesterday, had my best score ever with my first time getting in to the 70’s. Would have been better but couldn’t hit the second bird on the last stand🙄I think I was giving it too much lead when non was required. Also my first registered shoot since changing cartridges from Hull Superfast to Fiocchi Fblack👍🏻
Nice one John(ny)... and welcome to the forum nut house!

Westfield this weekend for the England selection shoot and then Holland and Holland on Tuesday for the challenge shoot. I think there's space on our squad if anyone would like to shoot it? We're on at 11:30 on Tuesday 13th.
I would join you at H and H Doug. I’d like to shoot it again without blazing sun. And I got lucky in their weekly draw so have prizes to collect!

We are there Tuesday but at 1.45, May see you there. Shoot well. 

You shot well John. I was the token old guy, right behind you in the squad and you proved the rule that to build a good score you need to capitalise on the steadier targets - which is exactly what you did.

Oxfordshire today, it’s a smaller ground than most and looked and remained very busy, long gone the days of 20/30 entries here. On at 12.40 no not chilly as feared but it rained from stand 5 so we all got a bit damp. Although in a squad of four we never really caught up with the full squad in front so no awaiting around getting too wet. Had a day of getting more right than wrong, like all I could claim “a few got away” however it was also a fair few hit that maybe on other days I get it wrong which means I don’t. For a bit of a treat after last stand borrowed a chums ( cleaned ) K80 SuperSport which at 32” is a lot different from the MX, am of the opinion that those K80s break clays for fun, handled very well. 
After a tea, in a real mug, but afraid no cake and no not a diet they had sold out☹️ despite the rain & drizzle it was a good day out and dare I say it the overall atmosphere was more jovial than some places Ive shot at. 

Oxfordshire today, it’s a smaller ground than most and looked and remained very busy, long gone the days of 20/30 entries here. On at 12.40 no not chilly as feared but it rained from stand 5 so we all got a bit damp. Although in a squad of four we never really caught up with the full squad in front so no awaiting around getting too wet. Had a day of getting more right than wrong, like all I could claim “a few got away” however it was also a fair few hit that maybe on other days I get it wrong which means I don’t. For a bit of a treat after last stand borrowed a chums ( cleaned ) K80 SuperSport which at 32” is a lot different from the MX, am of the opinion that those K80s break clays for fun, handled very well. 
After a tea, in a real mug, but afraid no cake and no not a diet they had sold out☹️ despite the rain & drizzle it was a good day out and dare I say it the overall atmosphere was more jovial than some places Ive shot at. 
I too attended. Would be lovely to see 12 stands and one tougher stand thrown in but most enjoyable morning, meaning we missed the rain. Most put out by seeing the last sausage roll sold. Can heartily recommend the sandwich with granary bread though.

You shot well John. I was the token old guy, right behind you in the squad and you proved the rule that to build a good score you need to capitalise on the steadier targets - which is exactly what you did.
“Token old guy”??? Think average age was pensionable (myself inc) in most squads 😂

I too attended. Would be lovely to see 12 stands and one tougher stand thrown in but most enjoyable morning, meaning we missed the rain. Most put out by seeing the last sausage roll sold. Can heartily recommend the sandwich with granary bread though.
Do agree that 12 stands would be good, am sure there are plans afoot there to open up more land, as you shot the place I believe it’s the area you saw in front of the last registered stand, think the two lockdowns curtailed anything in 2020, there have been improvements to the existing ground since last visited. Also agree that the lass there does make some lovely food 😋😋

Thanks John, the question is can I keep it going or was it a fluke? I suppose I will find out next time🙂

“Token old guy”??? Think average age was pensionable (myself inc) in most squads 😂
Easy for you to say Rich.  I went for my 2nd Covid jab yesterday. Looking at the state of most of the other folks of my age queuing at the health centre I feel really lucky to be able to shoot a 100 bird course without needing medical intervention. 😲 

I shot Westfield over the weekend for the first of the England selection shoots. It was certainly a firmer shoot but everything was hittable. A few head scratchers that you only work out after you've shot it and walk 50m away to realise there was a twist to the clay that you couldn't easily see from the cage. Classic Lovatt/Westfield!

Looking at the basic average score from each class the scores were down below the CPSA cutoffs for each class, but that should surely be the case for a team selection shoot?

• C Class. Average 55.6% - CPSA class range 70.77-0
  • B Class. Average 64.4% - CPSA class range 78.13 - 70.78
  • A Class. Average 72.8% - CPSA class range 84.77 - 78.14
  • AA Class. Average 77.6% - CPSA class range 88.90 - 84.78
  • AAA Class. Average 82.9% - CPSA class range 100-88.91

My thoughts: 

Really enjoyable (after the first 5 stands). Felt the start was a bit firm which possibly broke people? Targets were of a high standard, enjoyable and left you questioning your reads most times.

Would certainly shoot that sort of shoot again but maybe an approach to the selection shoots could be have them un-registered? Can still go on to the CPSA site but have them sit outside of your averages. Possibly something to do for the majors as well? 

There is no point having a standard shoot where we'd have 15-20 people on 94+ for a selection shoot based on points difference. 

EDIT: I should say that I shot 77/100, which is 6 below my average (in A class). I was pleased with that, especially as that score was an average AA score. No complaints from me :)

Don't understand all this garbage on FB and here about selection shoots and majors being un-registered, or not counting to your averages. They may be, and rightly so, tougher than your average shoot, but if you shoot 10% below your raw average then it doesn't count anyway. I don't see the issue, walk away and forget about it.

I can quite easily shoot 10% below my average on an ordinary dolly up registered shoot anyway.😄

Latest posts

Back