Guidance please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although the MK11 is a nice gun, I think it is more of a game gun really. I got rid of a Heritage due to a crack developing in the head of the stock. I recently got rid of a 20 bore Apex and even though it was used when I bought it, I had to take quite a drop in price to sell it. A shooting pal had a similar experience with his 12 bore version of an Apex too. I  am looking for another gun, but I am at a bit of a loss as to what to buy. I have an MK38 Sporter and a ProSport.  I shoot the ProSport well but it's proving to be a touch heavy at just under 9lbs. The MK38 is lighter, but the stock comb is too slim. I'm still looking.

Try the new Invictus Allsport if you can, but as said try all the recommendations first, especially as the gun you chose will have a sentimental value so needs to be right.  

I retired early at 60 ,  I bought and Teagued up two Mirokus to take into retirement , had them gun fitted to suit , and retired my k80 to the cupboard .  I bought the GD5 38 trap gun at 32” . The  GD5 20 gauge at 30” .  I’m 68 in a few months and I’m just starting to think , over the last 12 months that 32” barrels  and  weight of the 38 are getting a little too unwieldy for me . People will tell you this is nonsense , I would have done when I bought it , but it’s a fact now and I’ve got to reconsider .  What I think I’m saying is whatever you buy now , you might still need to change in the future .

I'm 74 and normally shoot a 32"Kronos which weighs 8lb 3oz and balances on the hinge pin, but it takes a bit of effort to shoot.

I have a Beretta 391 which weighs 7lb 9oz and it's so easy to shoot compared to my o/u just because there is less weight in front of my left hand, but the o/u is the better gun of the two.

It's not much fun getting old 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
The weight issue is something to consider - I shoot with a guy who has dropped gun weight at the age of 71 without any health issues to explain it. It's down to the numbers you shoot and a heavy gun for 200 or more a day becomes a little demanding. I know my 694 is not my final gun on weight alone.

My inclination would be to keep the MK38 - its the gun you like from a practical perspective and perhaps look for something which is a special gun - to be taken out as a reminder. I would look at some of the B25s knocking about. They have dropped in value but are largely custom guns and if you can find one to fit they are lovely to shoot and can still be maintained (albeit ejectors etc are costly). It would be wrong however to think of any purchase as an investment - I can only see (realistic) gun values going down over the next few years.

The other issue (for a B25 in particular) is the "steel" question and how this will bear on your choice.

A pensions actuary (brother-in-law) explained that whilst life might begin @ 40, death begins at 30 (mortality tables) so whilst a bunch of us have retired in our 60s, few of us have any idea how long we are actually going to live.  So whilst we can speculate that in 10 years time we might need a lighter gun we still have got to live that long 😃.

When retired it seems one can legitimately turn the dial round to the end and, funds permitting, have what you want.   Owning a 'nice' gun is special, that moment of getting it out of the cabinet and slipping into the sleeve for a day's shooting - for Graham its to cherish a memory.

There will be a point, somewhere in the future, where we will reach the end of the road, we might have time to reflect - for myself I don't want to look back and think 'I wish I'd bought that gun and made memories with it'.  

A pensions actuary (brother-in-law) explained that whilst life might begin @ 40, death begins at 30 (mortality tables) so whilst a bunch of us have retired in our 60s, few of us have any idea how long we are actually going to live.  So whilst we can speculate that in 10 years time we might need a lighter gun we still have got to live that long 😃.

When retired it seems one can legitimately turn the dial round to the end and, funds permitting, have what you want.   Owning a 'nice' gun is special, that moment of getting it out of the cabinet and slipping into the sleeve for a day's shooting - for Graham its to cherish a memory.

There will be a point, somewhere in the future, where we will reach the end of the road, we might have time to reflect - for myself I don't want to look back and think 'I wish I'd bought that gun and made memories with it'.  
Thank you, appreciated 

I retired early at 60 ,  I bought and Teagued up two Mirokus to take into retirement , had them gun fitted to suit , and retired my k80 to the cupboard .  I bought the GD5 38 trap gun at 32” . The  GD5 20 gauge at 30” .  I’m 68 in a few months and I’m just starting to think , over the last 12 months that 32” barrels  and  weight of the 38 are getting a little too unwieldy for me . People will tell you this is nonsense , I would have done when I bought it , but it’s a fact now and I’ve got to reconsider .  What I think I’m saying is whatever you buy now , you might still need to change in the future .
I think this is where the Italian guns tend to come into there own as most are slightly stock heavy or at least have a weight adding capability. I must admit I prefer the Beretta / CG / Perazzi feel where the 32'' doesn't seem too heavy and I just don't get that same feeling with the Browning / Miroku guns.  I know it is just down to me but that is why we are all different.

I am curious to try if possible a 31'' 694 to see what the balance and feel is like as an alternative to another 32'' as my 30'' CG is just too short as a preference compared to my old DT10. I am 71 and the longer barrel helps the steady movement for me or is that another load of garbage that is sitting in my head........

Phil

My CG Invictus Allsport is 8Ib 13oz but when shooting I just don't feel that it's heavy at all, straight from the box it just feels well balanced for me, nothing added. Perhaps I just got lucky. Had an XS Pro and had to add a massive amount of weight in the stock to stop it feeling front heavy same with a Prosport I tried. Never had the same issue with a Beretta feeling front heavy though, weight was more to the rear with that, but just couldn't get on with it, the stock just felt too slim and small, Beretta 686E

My CG Invictus Allsport is 8Ib 13oz but when shooting I just don't feel that it's heavy at all, straight from the box it just feels well balanced for me, nothing added. Perhaps I just got lucky. Had an XS Pro and had to add a massive amount of weight in the stock to stop it feeling front heavy same with a Prosport I tried. Never had the same issue with a Beretta feeling front heavy though, weight was more to the rear with that, but just couldn't get on with it, the stock just felt too slim and small, Beretta 686E
The xs pros must vary a lot from what you are saying, mine is 32” and balances perfectly on the hinge pin with no weight added to front or back. 

The xs pros must vary a lot from what you are saying, mine is 32” and balances perfectly on the hinge pin with no weight added to front or back. 
When I had one it needed the full set of stock weights to balance it on the pin. I know of another one with extended steel chokes in to achieve the same!

PM.

When I had one it needed the full set of stock weights to balance it on the pin. I know of another one with extended steel chokes in to achieve the same!

PM.
I guess I got lucky too especially as I bought it secondhand. 

It seems that having stock and barrel weights has almost become fashionable in clay busters - like a must have.  

Adding such features gives the customer the ability to add even more variables to the gun fit/handling/chokes why-did-I miss head game.

I owned a Blaser F3 Vantage for a couple of years, it had both barrel weights and an adjustable stock balancer - try as I might I could never get the 'waving a fence post/lifeless feeling' out of it - traded it for another Perazzi (which don't have additional weights even as an option - when absolutely everything else is), handling is perfect.

It seems that having stock and barrel weights has almost become fashionable in clay busters - like a must have.  

Adding such features gives the customer the ability to add even more variables to the gun fit/handling/chokes why-did-I miss head game.

I owned a Blaser F3 Vantage for a couple of years, it had both barrel weights and an adjustable stock balancer - try as I might I could never get the 'waving a fence post/lifeless feeling' out of it - traded it for another Perazzi (which don't have additional weights even as an option - when absolutely everything else is), handling is perfect.
Yes it’s almost as though a balance it yourself kit is an easy option for some gunmakers today. Thinking about the xs pro again as stated the overall weight does vary by several ounces. The only way this can be accounted for is the density of the wood as all the metal parts shall surely weigh the same and so anyone looking to buy one have a look at the balance before you start. 

That's why I jumped at the CG when I picked it up, nothing added and the balance just felt right, well for me anyway. Everyone says it balances on the hinge pin, I can't get my head around this as surly it should balance between your hands and depending on your build that would be different for everybody.

I suppose it was brought about when the manufacturers added  the weights, you can spend hours getting it to balance on the pin 😁

That's why I jumped at the CG when I picked it up, nothing added and the balance just felt right, well for me anyway. Everyone says it balances on the hinge pin, I can't get my head around this as surly it should balance between your hands and depending on your build that would be different for everybody.

I suppose it was brought about when the manufacturers added  the weights, you can spend hours getting it to balance on the pin 😁
The balance of a gun is down to personal preference. I like it on the hinge pin, some people like it in front and one top shot in particular likes it well back. I guess I’m saying that just because a gun is a certain model don’t assume they all balance the same from the outset.

It's a clever marketing thing - which sounds better,

"We added a balancing system so you can adjust the gun to shoot perfectly for you, every time"

or

"We can't be bothered to have any consistency over the wood density so you if it's messed the gun up, add some weight here & there to sort the problem out yourself".

The balance of a gun is down to personal preference. I like it on the hinge pin, some people like it in front and one top shot in particular likes it well back. I guess I’m saying that just because a gun is a certain model don’t assume they all balance the same from the outset.
As I said that's why I chose the one I did 😉

Latest posts

Back