Been away..................................quite a while.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finish in the bores of my CG was noticeably more glossy than any of my Berettas.
I must say my CG is a cracking gun and the only reason I would change is that I want to go back to 32'' barrels but perhaps keep the CG and mod the stock to use for OT / UT / ABT.........................jury is out on that one however.  Could be I stay with CG and get a 32'' but over the years I always drift back to Beretta, just that extra comfort level and confidence I guess although I have not had any issues with my CG, I have heard a few stories about problems with them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 I have not had any issues with my CG, I have heard a few stories about problems with them. 
The very early CGs were built by CG staff by renting the Fabarm factory to use overnight. Guns from that era and the first year or so in the shiny new CG factory did have a few issues with things like becoming loose much too soon. Unlike certain other makers, CG has maintained a policy of feeding in small updates over the years.

Mine was made in 2011 although I bought it 2016 and it's never gone wrong or gone floppy, and in fact it feels pretty much like a new gun. But at the time, every gunsmith or shop owner advised against it. I remember saying to one well known gun shop and shooting ground owner that I couldn't see any CGs on the racks. "No" he said "And you won't". I was back there a year or so later and there were 3 or 4 in stock.

There's no doubt that the Beretta action is more elegant in terms of design and I never had any breakdowns with any of mine but with CG it's the little things like the finish of the woodwork, the way the chokes seal so well there's virtually no gas blowby or the quality of the trigger pulls compared to mid range Berettas (or almost an other mid range gun).

There's a lot to be said for CG's policy of outsourcing the barrels, chokes, woodwork and engraving to suppliers who know they have meet a high standard. When the quality control at Beretta fell apart from about 2009 to 2012 it coincided with their decision to make every part of the gun bar the woodwork in-house.

There's a lot to be said for CG's policy of outsourcing the barrels, chokes, woodwork and engraving to suppliers who know they have meet a high standard. When the quality control at Beretta fell apart from about 2009 to 2012 it coincided with their decision to make every part of the gun bar the woodwork in-house.
More than happy with the quality of my Invictus Allsport, had a Summit and it was also very well made and finished.

I think the QC didn't end in 2012 with Beretta though as according to TGS who went around the Beretta factory and was saying that all DT's were hand finished. Well the hand finished one I tried at a dealers had problems, not something you'd expect from a 'hand finished' gun' at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t comment on CG , never owned one, but DT10 and DT11 I have owned.The DT10 I had for several years, no problems and a great gun to shoot. 
The DT11 I had only a few months, nice to shoot but I was never happy with how it patterned. No matter what shells I tried the patterns we way too open as far as I was concerned. It was 3/4 and full, however it patterned more like 1/2 and 3/4 at best. I did complain about it to no avail. 
It was a very early one and I did hear there were some barrel issues, allegedly cured on later guns. 

I had a 694 for 2 months, just could not get on with it at all. I found the grip too large, yes the forend rattled and the barrels were a pig to clean. I got it second hand and it took nearly an hour with an old bronze brush, wrapped in fine steel wool, Phillips barrel cleaner and an electric drill, to get them clean. Thankfully my ProSport was still on the shelf I the shop, so I got it back again. I thought the 694 being lighter, may have been easier on my knackered shoulder, I joined a gym instead  !   😅 

How come so many 694's have rattly forends as they have the tightening system in them, anyone found what the problem is

How come so many 694's have rattly forends as they have the tightening system in them, anyone found what the problem is
My thoughts exactly.

I looked at a DT11 (s/h) and a new 694 in the shop and to be very honest, I did not really get the feel of confidence with the DT11, it felt quite different to my old DT10, the 694 however sat very well in the shoulder but in a gun dealer we don't know how it will perform in the field. My pal has owned a 694 32'' for a while now so I think I need to have a round with it.  I have to say the more I think about these guns the more I am leaning toward another CG with longer barrels as the 30'' of mine is a nice thing to shoot.

Try a CG 32'' Allsport, but be aware they are well over 8Ib if your used to a light gun

My thoughts exactly.

I looked at a DT11 (s/h) and a new 694 in the shop and to be very honest, I did not really get the feel of confidence with the DT11, it felt quite different to my old DT10, the 694 however sat very well in the shoulder but in a gun dealer we don't know how it will perform in the field. My pal has owned a 694 32'' for a while now so I think I need to have a round with it.  I have to say the more I think about these guns the more I am leaning toward another CG with longer barrels as the 30'' of mine is a nice thing to shoot.
Try and shoot a used 694 and dt11. I have a dt11 with circa 20,000 rounds through it and my dad has a 694 with around 4,000 through it. I shot both back to back when out with him the other week and the quality difference between the two when well used felt to be quite a bit. My dt is still nice and tight, shuts like a quality vault door and feels hardly used. The 694 just falls open, has the beretta bounce on the barrels, coupled with the forend having a slight rattle or being loose, feels like it's shot a lot of rounds.

One thing I really like about the 694 is the stock and grip etc, really nice well radiused grip and good palm swell coupled with an option of 50mm drop at heal over the normal 56mm. The dt11 is still decent but a little more Conservative than the 694.

Try and shoot a used 694 and dt11. I have a dt11 with circa 20,000 rounds through it and my dad has a 694 with around 4,000 through it. I shot both back to back when out with him the other week and the quality difference between the two when well used felt to be quite a bit. My dt is still nice and tight, shuts like a quality vault door and feels hardly used. The 694 just falls open, has the beretta bounce on the barrels, coupled with the forend having a slight rattle or being loose, feels like it's shot a lot of rounds.

One thing I really like about the 694 is the stock and grip etc, really nice well radiused grip and good palm swell coupled with an option of 50mm drop at heal over the normal 56mm. The dt11 is still decent but a little more Conservative than the 694.
I quite like guns that fall open, always thought they should really be designed to be like that from new, never really understood the appeal of guns that are still stiff to open after numerous rounds, appreciate its percieved to be linked to quality and each to their own

I quite like guns that fall open, always thought they should really be designed to be like that from new, never really understood the appeal of guns that are still stiff to open after numerous rounds, appreciate its percieved to be linked to quality and each to their own
Some guns do stay tight for a long time. I once had an old Miroku 3800, 23 years old when I sold it and almost as tight as when it was new and it had been used a lot. My current mk38 is still reasonably tight, well it’s not loose, it’s had a lot of use and is now 28 years old. 
Winchesters like the old 101 seemed to be loose from brand new! Good guns all the same. 

Some guns do stay tight for a long time. I once had an old Miroku 3800, 23 years old when I sold it and almost as tight as when it was new and it had been used a lot. My current mk38 is still reasonably tight, well it’s not loose, it’s had a lot of use and is now 28 years old.
Winchesters like the old 101 seemed to be loose from brand new! Good guns all the same.
Yes, I have just bought a Classic Doubles (101) . It had been a 'sleeper' until I woke it up. I am shooting reasonably well with it and I love using it. It does 'flop' open, but at my age, it fits in with my lifestyle where most things are drooping ! 😂

The tensioner on my SV10 held the forend metal tight to the action but the forend wood was screwed to the metal part. If the screws loosened as they tend to on the 6xx family guns, the wood rattled against the metal. The 692 used the same tensioning system and the 694 forend is presumably also derived from the SV10.

I fancied a DT11 but just couldn’t quite see what I was getting for the huge price jump over a 694. Very happy with the 694 and great value.
Hi Will

Money aside, would love to learn what you perceive to be the pluses over the 694 as a 694 owner. Hope your willing to break this topic down into salient points Sir.

Hi Will

Money aside, would love to learn what you perceive to be the pluses over the 694 as a 694 owner. Hope your willing to break this topic down into salient points Sir.

Will may not respond as I believe he's taken a sabbatical from the the forum to concentrate on and not distract from other ventures. I can't answer for him but here's my thoughts.
I don't own either but have shot them both back to back several times on demo days.

The 694 is a fine gun that will perform and is be as adjustable modifiable to personal preference as anything out there.

The DT11 however just does it better, trigger pulls are better, recoil is more controlled etc. Basically the whole thing is a bit more refined/ smoother to shoot.

I'd be happy with a 694 but if I had the available budget I would Get the DT11.

Is the difference worth the additional cost or shoud you spend it on clays and carts? That's up to you to decide.

For the average gun the 694 is a much better handling gun. Easier for to shoot.

The dt10 is the premier gun that’s the one to find.

Dt11 and 694 have too much drop in the stock both will need addressing at purchase.

If your a recreational shooter the 694 is a much better option

Hi Will

My Dad has a 694 and I have a dt11. The dt11 is just that little bit better in all departments, but the 694 is still excellent. I would also go along with Ben's comments on the 694, it's probably a bit easier to get along with if you're not sure how you like a gun and also comes in 50 and 56mm of drop. I think all sporter dt11s are 56mm of drop, which is fine for me but doesn't suit everyone. Also took me 12 to 18 months to set up the dt11 how I liked it and to get used to shooting it. But now shoot it better then I've ever shot anything else, but had to give it time and a lot of work.

As an owner of a DT11 (and a 692) and shooting regularly with a mate who owns a 694, I concur with the above (especially on triggerpulls), and would add that the Detachable Trigger (what's in a name, haha) is a big plus in terms of cleaning and maintenance. Unfortunately it rains too much over here so I like the ease with which you can check the internals and keep everything as it should be.

I can't really comment on the differences in stock dimensions as I use an EvoComp on both guns, which I set up on the DT11 to exactly match stock dimensions on the 692. Worked well enough from the get-go with minor adjustments to the comb, weight and pitch, as the DT11 is a heavier gun and perceived recoil is a lot smoother than in the 692 and 694.

Will may not respond as I believe he's taken a sabbatical from the the forum to concentrate on and not distract from other ventures. I can't answer for him but here's my thoughts.
I don't own either but have shot them both back to back several times on demo days.

The 694 is a fine gun that will perform and is be as adjustable modifiable to personal preference as anything out there.

The DT11 however just does it better, trigger pulls are better, recoil is more controlled etc. Basically the whole thing is a bit more refined/ smoother to shoot.

I'd be happy with a 694 but if I had the available budget I would Get the DT11.

Is the difference worth the additional cost or shoud you spend it on clays and carts? That's up to you to decide.
Great response- Thank you

For the average gun the 694 is a much better handling gun. Easier for to shoot.

The dt10 is the premier gun that’s the one to find.

Dt11 and 694 have too much drop in the stock both will need addressing at purchase.

If your a recreational shooter the 694 is a much better option
Hi Ben

I have the 694 (30” sporting). If you don’t mind could you explain what you mean regarding ‘too much drop/addressing at purchase’. My apologies but I’m not conversant yet with the terminology.

Thank you

As an owner of a DT11 (and a 692) and shooting regularly with a mate who owns a 694, I concur with the above (especially on triggerpulls), and would add that the Detachable Trigger (what's in a name, haha) is a big plus in terms of cleaning and maintenance. Unfortunately it rains too much over here so I like the ease with which you can check the internals and keep everything as it should be.

I can't really comment on the differences in stock dimensions as I use an EvoComp on both guns, which I set up on the DT11 to exactly match stock dimensions on the 692. Worked well enough from the get-go with minor adjustments to the comb, weight and pitch, as the DT11 is a heavier gun and perceived recoil is a lot smoother than in the 692 and 694.
Jeez……I have so much to learn when it comes to gun fit. The Evocomp looks like a very clever addition?

Latest posts

Back