Guidance please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The xs pros must vary a lot from what you are saying, mine is 32” and balances perfectly on the hinge pin with no weight added to front or back. 
Mine is 30” and also balanced perfectly at the hinge pin straight out of the box. 

Good morning all, I hope everyone is well. 

I am looking for some advice/thoughts, preferably from someone who has been there and got the tee shirt.

I am considering upgrading my current gun having been left a small sum in a will, at present I shoot a 32" MK38 with adjustable stock, generally my LOP is around 14.75, I tend towards tight chokes however I open up a bit for skeet as I use one gun for all disciplines, the gun suits me and those who know me will know how capable the gun is.

I would like to spend probably about £5k including part ex, or £3.4k if I keep the MK38, I have the time to put into a replacement gun as I have just retired (early), I'd prefer second hand as you get more bang for your buck, a couple of thoughts are an MX8 or a Guerini Apex, I do however like a wide rib (just my personal preference). Any thoughts from anyone who has been through this would be appreciated. Thanks,  Growl.
How about an mk38 grade 5 (assuming yours isn't)  you really  need to try before  you buy.  

As I am nearer 80 than 70, I am finding my almost 9lbs ProSport too heavy on a 100 bird shoot. I had an MK38 Sporter,  but found the comb too thin. I have now swapped it for  725 Black in 30" which weighs in at a touch over 8lbs. One advantage being, I can interchange chokes or even the stock between the 2 guns. So DO consider the weight factor on a 'Keeper'  gun too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the CG invictus 5 lovely gun handles well nicely weighted and balanced. 10 yr warranty and if it’s good enough for Richard F it’s good enough for you 😘😆😆😆

The idea of moving gun is not to improve my score par-se, it is to have a gun that will be similar but 'nicer' it will be a permanent reminder of my mother, buying cartridges will I agree improve my shooting, however when they're gone they're gone. I just don't want to shoot worse if that makes sense
Get yourself somewhere you can try one out!! Or if any of your mates has something you like, ask them for a shot with it. Good luck with it 👍

I would recommend the CG invictus 5 lovely gun handles well nicely weighted and balanced. 10 yr warranty and if it’s good enough for Richard F it’s good enough for you 😘😆😆😆
Guess the cat is out of the bag, after much deliberation and trying out many guns (Thank you Scott Barnett) I am now the proud owner of a CG invictus 5

Apart from the overall weight of my MK38, which may be a factor when I get really old, I wouldn’t swap it for anything else. Spend the money on a nice holiday or stock up on cartridges before the price goes up.

stock up on cartridges before the price goes up

Little late to that party, are we? Wish I'd taken that advice a year or two ago.

I am now the proud owner of a CG invictus 5

Congratulations on the Invictus. Haven't shot one, but they sure look good. It's nice to have a thing you use and love as a keepsake. Now if I can only get my mother to buy me a gun for that reason...

I love my Browning Ultra XS Pro adjustable.... scores went up once I had it fitted to me 😎👌🏻
And it's within your budget too. We'll worth a look.

Latest posts

Back