Lead Shot Ban, in news again

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CPSA's announcement has been in the pipeline for quite a long time. I've been pushing for a 24g load limit for a while. It makes no sense not to and it's a shame the governing body's sat on their hands for as long as they have. This could have been introduced years ago.

If this tactic works, it'll only buy the sport time though. Ultimately lead's days are numbered, at least in the UK and for disciplines where shot fallout cannot be adequately contained. Skeet and trap have a good case for continuing with lead for the foreseeable future, particularly as the domestic disciplines feed into the international disciplines where lead's shot almost exclusively. For sporting, FITASC and the like changes are probably coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 gram of lead would be a better proposition than 28 gram of steel, seems a decent compromise if the hse will agree to it. Bit problem is IF they will agree to it, you can see it still being just a blanket ban, but who knows, let's hope they can compromise.

If they did agree the next argument is timescale for phasing 28 gram out, to give manufacturers enough time to alter production and enough time to sell off and people to use up 28 gram stock.

quite honestly I really cant see what dropping to 24gms will do to satisfy the anti lead lobby. 

As far as using 24gms ,its not a problem for me. 

only ever shot 24gms lead here in Germany but next year we have can only use steel at my local ground. It seems to be slowly changing as more and more grounds are changing to steel.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the scores.....

What a world we live in . I’ve just unearthed 3 boxes of these . They must be over 20 years old . When I was a wage slave with multi plant responsibilities I used to arrange site review meetings so that I’d always end up going home past Kelbrook lodge , in those days they used to have a Wednesday afternoon FITASC . These were the bullets of choice 🤪

I guess in the modern woke era , 35gm plastic wad 7 shot is viewed in the same light as seal culling and fracking … 

C7DF2352-3AA7-47B1-AD9B-0981BB740E6D.jpeg

What a world we live in . I’ve just unearthed 3 boxes of these . They must be over 20 years old . When I was a wage slave with multi plant responsibilities I used to arrange site review meetings so that I’d always end up going home past Kelbrook lodge , in those days they used to have a Wednesday afternoon FITASC . These were the bullets of choice 🤪

I guess in the modern woke era , 35gm plastic wad 7 shot is viewed in the same light as seal culling and fracking … 

View attachment 9147
A mere trainer load! I'll raise you a 50gm 7! (6.5 shot).

Seriously, those White Rabbits are an awesome shell but I'm sure they'd give Greta Thunberg a cold sweat!😂

PM.

20221027_200323.jpg

View attachment 9147
They certainly used to do the job for roosting pigeons as well!

If the move to 24g is “agreed” one cant see the loss of 4g of shot negatively affecting clay sports whatsoever, the vast majority of us miss as the 28g load is, to be plain, in the wrong place, would we really notice the drop?

So according to the CPSA nobody shoots game/pigeons with 24gm or less of lead shot 😊 have they never heard of a 20gauge, 28gauge or .410 shotgun ?

Then not all so called biodegradable wads are created equal, some take days/weeks to degrade others potentially many years.

So according to the CPSA nobody shoots game/pigeons with 24gm or less of lead shot 😊 have they never heard of a 20gauge, 28gauge or .410 shotgun ?

Then not all so called biodegradable wads are created equal, some take days/weeks to degrade others potentially many years.
Don't look too deeply into the cpsa statement, if you look at the board of directors there is more than enough experience and knowledge available to know the facts. The HSE have concerns about migration and the cpsa and doing their best to fob them off with compromise for us to keep lead.

Don't look too deeply into the cpsa statement, if you look at the board of directors there is more than enough experience and knowledge available to know the facts. The HSE have concerns about migration and the cpsa and doing their best to fob them off with compromise for us to keep lead.
So the CPSA are trying to fob off the HSE, good luck with that one, think there is more than enough experience and knowledge available to the HSE to know the facts.

Cpsa must proceed with utmost caution on this. I forsee a future when we will be left with 24grms of steel. 🤐

Jasper. 

Surely the best argument to prevent migration of 28g lead shells is on shot size rather than load weight. Even  the 24g proposal is only a stop gap so is it really worth  it?

Surely the best argument to prevent migration of 28g lead shells is on shot size rather than load weight. Even  the 24g proposal is only a stop gap so is it really worth  it?
I was thinking something similar.  Say some thing like: Max shot size of 6.5 for clay use. To be effective,  game shot really needs to be 6 or larger (in my experience).  I've used smaller  guages for game but even then in 16 ang 20g  they have been 26g or 28g in  5 or 6s.  

I was thinking something similar.  Say some thing like: Max shot size of 6.5 for clay use. To be effective,  game shot really needs to be 6 or larger (in my experience).  I've used smaller  guages for game but even then in 16 ang 20g  they have been 26g or 28g in  5 or 6s.  
my favourite shot size for pigeons in my 28gauge is 😊6.5 

probably have to limit lead shot to a maximum size 8 for clays.
But even then on PW I have read in the past of 9 shot being used for decoyed pigeons.

So 24gm maximum shot size 8 ?

The other concern for clay grounds if the HSE licensing proposal (cost?) was to go ahead to continue to use lead shot, plus the BASC statement:-

BASC believes that lead shot could continue to be used for clay pigeon / target shooting at venues where risks of primary exposure to birds is managed.

How is this achieved and at what cost?

As secretary of a not for profit clay pigeon club I could see this closing the club if arduous and costly.

Back