Eye protection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pilla are sooo good they list things twice...!

A. HYDRO-PEL 
B. FLASHING
C. ADHESION COATING
D. PRIMER ADHESION COATING
E. VIVX LENS
F.  PRIMER ADHESION COATING
G.  ADHESION COATING
H.  ZEISS VIVX ANTI-REFLECTIVE
I.  HYDRO-PEL

Well - i suppose they might want the same coatings on both sides of their lenses? 

I am inordinately fond of my Beretta shooting glasses. They are clear, tints are available of course. And being a Beretta product they are actually designed for shooting.

They cost me about £25 from Purbeck Shooting School. Which means that is I sit on them, run over them, or lose them my tears dry very quickly.

Actually pilla dont rob you , the the lens have loads of extras on them which castellani ones dont. You defiantly get your moneys worth :)  

For example : 

A. HYDRO-PEL 
B. FLASHING
C. ADHESION COATING
E. VIVX LENS
G.  ADHESION COATING
I.  HYDRO-PEL 
That's taken off their website :)  
..."I know it's true, they told me on their web site!!!" :eek: :blink: ;)

I am inordinately fond of my Beretta shooting glasses. They are clear, tints are available of course. And being a Beretta product they are actually designed for shooting.

They cost me about £25 from Purbeck Shooting School. Which means that is I sit on them, run over them, or lose them my tears dry very quickly.
i like the beretta race have them in most colours,no frames to get in the way,rap round a little and euro 30 a pair free postage if you spend more than euro 50 and the delivery is phenominal 27 kours from italy last time!!

I have the beretta race glasses, dark for bright sun and purple for everything else and am I really pleased with them. When I first started out I got a set of glasses with interchangeable lenses branded as Winchester of similar and I found changing the lenses confusing. Of all the glasses I have tried I like Beretta Purple the best, would break or lose Pilla or similar..

I always check these kinda threads to find some magic but it never happens.  Certainly not gonna get involved in the brand fight since that so infrequently is based on any objective terms.  Color-wise I guess I'll still be going with the lightest shades of orange and purple since they seem to cover every situation I shoot in.

That's not to say that I still couldn't use some magic tho, so don't give up, folks!  hahahaha

I don't understand why you aren't all visiting Mr Lyons for personalised tints. Never mind this brand versus that,  everyone perceives colour differently so you are playing lucky dip with mass manufactured brands to find whichever lens works best for you. 

Having personalised lenses was like my brain was working half a second faster with orange clays.

don't think it is really a brand fight its more a price fight...you either buy something that is vastly overpriced with masses of marketing bollox or you buy something 99% as good for about 4% of the price.

if somebody proves to me that Pilla's will improve my shooting by a reasonable percentage i would pay the money otherwise there is no point paying for anything more than the Beretta or browning single colour glasses unless you need prescription shooting glasses.

the light purple have become my favourite,closely followed by the bluey grey in bright sunshine as they seem to block an unfesable amount of light for there colour and if the targets are in the sun welding mask black ;)

I don't understand why you aren't all visiting Mr Lyons for personalised tints. Never mind this brand versus that,  everyone perceives colour differently so you are playing lucky dip with mass manufactured brands to find whichever lens works best for you. 

Having personalised lenses was like my brain was working half a second faster with orange clays.
Was this due to just colour? Or prescription?

I found that once I got my prescription glasses sorted (thanks Ed) then I just didn't give a toss about all the colours, other than to darken up a bit in the sun of course.

Actually pilla dont rob you , the the lens have loads of extras on them which castellani ones dont. You defiantly get your moneys worth :)  

For example : 

A. HYDRO-PEL 
B. FLASHING
C. ADHESION COATING
E. VIVX LENS
G.  ADHESION COATING
I.  HYDRO-PEL 
That's taken off their website :)  
The innocence of youth!

Well I'm happy that I now can see orange and pink clays which I found very difficult before sometimes not seeing them until the last minute if at all in some cases and that cost me targets.  I still can't tell the difference between the two colours but I can see them.  If you are happy with what you have whether it be £10 or much more surely it's no-one else's business really.  We all makes our choices - just look at cartridges.

Yeah :)  im using my phone and I've got massive hands and auto correct XD

Well I'm happy that I now can see orange and pink clays which I found very difficult before sometimes not seeing them until the last minute if at all in some cases and that cost me targets.  I still can't tell the difference between the two colours but I can see them.  If you are happy with what you have whether it be £10 or much more surely it's no-one else's business really.  We all makes our choices - just look at cartridges.
Yeah I think this thread should be closed now :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this due to just colour? Or prescription?

I found that once I got my prescription glasses sorted (thanks Ed) then I just didn't give a toss about all the colours, other than to darken up a bit in the sun of course.
Colour. I already had the full prescription lenses set. My glasses have filters that clip over the top. I don't bother with any other colour, I just use polarised brown filters all the time. 

I don't know much about shooting but I do know a bit about perceptions of light and colour from previous graphic design career, plus interest in dyslexia and Irlen syndrome, plus standard scientific things like confirmation bias. I ran quite a few tests on myself because I was surprised that what I was experiencing was so dramatically obvious to me. I will change filters for a pair of orange clays in sporting, I think the effect is that good. It certainly makes a big difference to a mediocre shooter like me. I can see how it would get a top shot that teeny fraction of advantage they need.

I always check these kinda threads to find some magic but it never happens.  Certainly not gonna get involved in the brand fight since that so infrequently is based on any objective terms.  Color-wise I guess I'll still be going with the lightest shades of orange and purple since they seem to cover every situation I shoot in.

That's not to say that I still couldn't use some magic tho, so don't give up, folks!  hahahaha
I'm the same. Not being prepared to waste the cost of a thoroughly dirty weekend on some stupid glasses I eventually lucked into a as new 3 lens Pilla set off a mate who couldn't get on with them which with some swaps stood me in at sensible money, I then swapped these with an older Pilla 4 lens set which I found sat higher. 

The newer set contained light and medium purple lenses, the older set does not have either but contains various shades of orange and a near clear set. My own scientific tests on the lawn using real oranges as well as orange leaves proved inconclusive, sure there is a difference between all of them but none seemed to me to make orange more orange, in fact I settled on a mid red thingy which the previous owner had also found he got on best with. In short I wouldn't wear any if I didn't have to and base my lens choice on the ambient light conditions more than anything else ! 

I'm the same. Not being prepared to waste the cost of a thoroughly dirty weekend on some stupid glasses I eventually lucked into a as new 3 lens Pilla set off a mate who couldn't get on with them which with some swaps stood me in at sensible money, I then swapped these with an older Pilla 4 lens set which I found sat higher. 

The newer set contained light and medium purple lenses, the older set does not have either but contains various shades of orange and a near clear set. My own scientific tests on the lawn using real oranges as well as orange leaves proved inconclusive, sure there is a difference between all of them but none seemed to me to make orange more orange, in fact I settled on a mid red thingy which the previous owner had also found he got on best with. In short I wouldn't wear any if I didn't have to and base my lens choice on the ambient light conditions more than anything else ! 
You'll be saying that the Emperor was in fact naked next

Latest posts

Back