First licence application

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshooter20

Hi all. looking to apply for my first SGC. I've been out working the dog over the last season and love seeing him work. But am now looking to get on to the other side on things with my own gun. my question is on the application it mentions criminal convictions. i dont have any but was arrested a couple of years ago but given a NFA. Does this need to be added to the form or does it not count as it technicaly isnt a convition ? 

Thanks for the help

They will know all about your arrest when they check you out, put it down with all the relevant information as it shows you are not trying to hide anything, you will probably need to explain the circumstances if you get an interview 👍

They will know all about your arrest when they check you out, put it down with all the relevant information as it shows you are not trying to hide anything, you will probably need to explain the circumstances if you get an interview 👍
Vmax1010, thanks for the reply. That makes sense, do you know if its possibly something they would discus with my referances aswell? as im quite a private person so only a handfull of people now about the arrest so id rather give them a referance's thats in the know for example.

I don't think they would mention your arrest to your references, but if your worried ask the FEO for advice and as vmax1010 says put it down on your application don't hide anything as they will already have any details about you on file. You weren't convicted with anything but be up front about it.  

I don't think they would mention your arrest to your references, but if your worried ask the FEO for advice and as vmax1010 says put it down on your application don't hide anything as they will already have any details about you on file. You weren't convicted with anything but be up front about it.  
Totally agree, it is important you show you are not hiding anything, they will know and if you don't mention it,  they are likey to take it as lying on your application but a word with the Firearms officer for your area may be worth while.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need one reference for a shotgun certificate , not two . The person you give as a reference , will also be checked by the police and so should be of good character .   It is important that the referee understands what they are doing and are genuine in their beliefs about your character . Not everyone is comfortable with providing a reference for a firearms application.  I’ve provided references for a few people I know and have shot with ,( I’ve also refused to provide references for others)  . The police will not disclose anything about you to your referee . The interviews by the FEO when I’ve been a referee have often been by telephone and very short , often just how long have you know … how do you know . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys all. I've been in contact this the FAO and they've also advised me to add it into my application. I have no issue explaining the arrest to the officer should he bring it up. Without airing my dirty laundry in public, how unfavourably will they look at the NFA ? It wasn't for a violent crim or drugs related.

thanks for the help so far.

Its a pretty slow process at the moment even if squeaky clean so dont worry if you dont hear anything too quickly, all you can do is fill in the paperwork and wait....and wait some more

Every application is judged on its own merit . The primary responsibility of the Police is to make sure that the applicant is a fit and proper person to be issued with a certificate to safely own a shotgun without endangering others .

What you can do to help your application  ? You can start to build up ‘ evidence ‘  of your attitude  ready for your interview 

You  have a genuine reason for wanting a gun  , and you can quote the syndicate and beaters for that  . You could take out membership of either the CPSA or BASC ( probably BASC  if you are game shooting mainly  and  don’t want to compete in Registered clay shooting )  Being a member will demonstrate you are responsible ,  and hold 3rd party liability insurance from one of those organisations. You could attend something like a BASC Firearms Awareness ( Shotgun ) course , to show you have competency training in gun handling .  Perhaps get some beginners lessons under your belt at a clay club .  You will certainly  have to show where you will be keeping the gun , so get a decent cabinet installed ahead of any home visit .  These are not legal requirements but they do show a  responsible approach to owning a gun when the FEO meets you face to face . 

Good advice vmax1010

Every application is judged on its own merit . The primary responsibility of the Police is to make sure that the applicant is a fit and proper person to be issued with a certificate to safely own a shotgun without endangering others .

What you can do to help your application  ? You can start to build up ‘ evidence ‘  of your attitude  ready for your interview 

You  have a genuine reason for wanting a gun  , and you can quote the syndicate and beaters for that  . You could take out membership of either the CPSA or BASC ( probably BASC  if you are game shooting mainly  and  don’t want to compete in Registered clay shooting )  Being a member will demonstrate you are responsible ,  and hold 3rd party liability insurance from one of those organisations. You could attend something like a BASC Firearms Awareness ( Shotgun ) course , to show you have competency training in gun handling .  Perhaps get some beginners lessons under your belt at a clay club .  You will certainly  have to show where you will be keeping the gun , so get a decent cabinet installed ahead of any home visit .  These are not legal requirements but they do show a  responsible approach to owning a gun when the FEO meets you face to face . 

Hi, thanks for your replay, its been a big help! I'll be shooting mainly clays and have been to a couple of local grounds to shoot before. I'll look into joining cpsa and getting a membership with a club once the application is in.

As previously posts have mentioned - declare everything. They already know all about everyone's police record, and if there's anything that will prevent you from being granted a licence, you shouldn't make it to the interview. If you haven't declared things then you may come across as dishonest in the interview.  Doesn't matter if your reference knows about it or not, mine never even got contacted.

Have a look at doing the CPSA shotgun skill course. It'll show the FLO that you've had some training on gun safety.  At my interview, one of the questions  I was asked what would I do in the event of a misfire. The amount of people I still see opening their gun immediately after a misfire is unreal.

The interview is quite relaxed. They're just making sure there's no red flags. So if you've got 15 crates of Stella in the corner of the room and pictures of cannabis leaves everywhere (not implying you do), questions are going to be asked.

Joining the CPSA or BASC is always a good idea, as there's insurance included in the membership fee.

Hopefully you application goes nice and smoothly. Due to the incident in Plymouth in 2021, the the police in my area have suspended all new applications for the moment while new guidelines are implemented.

As previously posts have mentioned - declare everything. They already know all about everyone's police record, and if there's anything that will prevent you from being granted a licence, you shouldn't make it to the interview. If you haven't declared things then you may come across as dishonest in the interview.  Doesn't matter if your reference knows about it or not, mine never even got contacted.

Have a look at doing the CPSA shotgun skill course. It'll show the FLO that you've had some training on gun safety.  At my interview, one of the questions  I was asked what would I do in the event of a misfire. The amount of people I still see opening their gun immediately after a misfire is unreal.

The interview is quite relaxed. They're just making sure there's no red flags. So if you've got 15 crates of Stella in the corner of the room and pictures of cannabis leaves everywhere (not implying you do), questions are going to be asked.

Joining the CPSA or BASC is always a good idea, as there's insurance included in the membership fee.

Hopefully you application goes nice and smoothly. Due to the incident in Plymouth in 2021, the the police in my area have suspended all new applications for the moment while new guidelines are implemented.
Thanks, I'll definitely be taking the advice on board and look into the shooting courses etc. I'm still waiting for my medical proforma, seems to be taking an age.

Don't go to the expense of buying/fitting a gun cabinet as yet, they will let you know before you need to do that if you are likely to be refused for your initial post.

Just a update, if finally applied for my grant licence. After applying for my proforma in April, I had it back almost 4 months later! I'll keep you updated with how the application goes

Latest posts

Back