why ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

i recently bought a used zoli z gun    i was warned about resale value etc etc     however my gun is a 2013 32"   i shot grimsthorpe today 100 esp  practice   i have to say the zoli z sporter is a fabulous gun ,  fixed stock multi choked    high enough in the comb for me i see a bit of rib , which is tapered  file cut  , smooth to shoot , nimble at 8lb 5 0z    no noticeable recoil issues with f blues  ,   removing the detachable trigger unit  all parts are really well made and polished off  to a high  standard ,   so why this fear / hatred of the zoli brand ?  is it purely depreciation  ?  I've lost money on every gun I've ever part x   !!        the new models with the balancing system look the business  .    any decent shots out there use one  ?     

Simples, Zoli needs a full on committed distributor like AngloItalian. For years they were distributed by a fishing tackle shop in Lancaster and now Zoli is just another line distributed by Edgar Brothers.

What happens if you need warranty work or a repair? Do they attend open days with demo guns, branded accessories and a gunsmith?

Back in about 2005/6 I went to the regular Thursday evening pay and play at Chatcombe - now known as Ian Coley Shooting. AngloItalian were there with a covered stand displaying the Caesar Guerini range and a couple of demo guns, one of which I shot and liked very much. I never forgot how nice that gun was gun and about 10 years later bought a CG which I still have and which is my goto sporter.

Everyone knows Zoli make damn good guns and CGs are certainly not better than Zoli. Pricewise most of the popular models are in the same market segment as the Zoli range, but CGs are much better marketed and particularly much better supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Zoli I have picked up appears very well made and finished.

As Westward says, and he makes a valid point re.Importers. The same also applies to some foreign cartridge makes.

Why do these manufacturers use such feeble importers? Surely it's in their own interests to promote the products they're importing? With the right marketing Zoli's would be up there with CG. Anyone seen Nobel Sport cartridges anywhere recently?! 

The same applies.

PM.

i recently bought a used zoli z gun    i was warned about resale value etc etc     however my gun is a 2013 32"   i shot grimsthorpe today 100 esp  practice   i have to say the zoli z sporter is a fabulous gun ,  fixed stock multi choked    high enough in the comb for me i see a bit of rib , which is tapered  file cut  , smooth to shoot , nimble at 8lb 5 0z    no noticeable recoil issues with f blues  ,   removing the detachable trigger unit  all parts are really well made and polished off  to a high  standard ,   so why this fear / hatred of the zoli brand ?  is it purely depreciation  ?  I've lost money on every gun I've ever part x   !!        the new models with the balancing system look the business  .    any decent shots out there use one  ?     
I’ve no doubt you’re right although I don’t think it’s the case that people fear or hate them. The problem is one of image. They’re a little left field and probably not a gun that many aspire to in the same way a Perazzi, Krieghoff or high grade Beretta may be. That they dodge the spotlight is not necessarily a bad thing. I once shot an Abbiatico and Salvinelli, an absolutely wonderful gun that felt great but you’ll visit a lot of grounds before you see another one.

If you like it and it produces results stick with it. 

I too bought a s/h barely used Zoli for literally peanuts, it's brilliant, to the point of thinking of buying another or possibly a pair

I bought a Zoli Kronos this year from Fawcetts, the original importer, brand new been on the shelf for 15 years. It really is an excellent shotgun to shoot and very well enginered too.

They have never been marketed very well in the U.K but in the U.S.A. they are sold as a premium gun which to be honest they are.

It's simple, second hand Browning/Beretta/Miroku sell well with dealers so that's what they push, they don't want the other brands so offer ridiculously low prices so they can move them on.

As Dr Lecter says you'll lose money no matter what you buy new when you come to sell, and it will be a fair chunk.

What they don't tell you about the main brands when buying new is if your unfortunate to have a problem they are in no hurry to sort your problem out. Try getting Browning spares from the importer, they just don't want to know

Edgar Brothers do promote Zoli with demo days , I have been to one at Mickley Hall, Gunsmith present and numerous guns that he will configure to suit the individual.

It´s just marketing. GC pushes hard and gets a lot of attention. In Germany, France, Switzerland and of course Italy Zoli is fairly common.

Miroku guns are hardly used here in Germany, just the other way round.

The Zoli guns are very well made. I would prefer a Z- Gun or a Kronos over a GC any day.

We have a "Zoli cup" nearby every year. You can shoot any gun you want, can get full service from two gunsmithes, etc.

The guns can be orered in a huge variaty of stock dimensions, wood grades, barrel lengths and so on.

A friend of mine bought a 20 bore Pernice round body recently. Absolutely stunning gun.

Stuart Clark shoots a Zoli and he has beaten George Digweed on numerous occassions , so they cannot be a bad piece of kit !

I was shooting a very nice Webley & Scott 1790 ( Zoli Kronos ) and would have upgraded to a Z Skeet HR but I couldn't get my hands on one for a look ; (

I was shooting a very nice Webley & Scott 1790 ( Zoli Kronos ) and would have upgraded to a Z Skeet HR but I couldn't get my hands on one for a look ; (
A Skeet High Rib is not very common with any brand, I think.

A Skeet High Rib is not very common with any brand, I think.
Not so. Cesar Guerini, Kolar, Zoli and several other manufacturers do them. High stocked and high ribbed skeet guns have become all the rage in the US since a handful of top line skeet shooters switched to them.

Well Dr L you bought it second hand, so if you got it at the right price you ain't going to lose a lot.

Lloyd on here did a review and liked them, but pointed out that if bought new you will '' get you trousers pulled down'' when you come to sell or trade in, trade don't seem to want them

As you point out you loose money on any gun purchased new and sold/traded in later, you can kiss 20% straight away, it's just how much you are prepared get hit by.

Not so. Cesar Guerini, Kolar, Zoli and several other manufacturers do them. High stocked and high ribbed skeet guns have become all the rage in the US since a handful of top line skeet shooters switched to them.
Oh really? Didn´t know that.

Latest posts

Back