CPSA Courses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDAV I think my point is being missed and I cannot seem to make myself understood - my fault.   I really am feeling irritated by this so I cannot give any more energy to it.  No offence to anybody - just me.

If anyone needs info on CPSA Courses contact Cheryl at HQ as she manages them.

I recently went on an ESP Referees course at Southdown which wasn't listed on the website or in Pull!  I only found out about it from the guy that was running the course whilst chatting to him at the BO ESP and managed to get booked onto it.

Cheers,

Jon.

Is it the quality of all courses or just those related to shooting coaching?

I was after the safety officer's and sporting referee's courses.

Hi Robert,

I did the Safety Officers Course about 4 years ago and did it for the same reason as you, as a relatively new shooter then it was to gain additional knowledge of the Sport and as I had also just switched to an auto.  Thought the course was good and you get the Safety Officers manual a couple of weeks before the course to read up.

Skeet Ref's course was about 3.5 years ago and was mostly going through book 5 and book 7, general rules and discipline specific rules and a short practical session on range followed by an exam.

ESP/STR course is pretty much the same format.

The Refs courses I wouldn't have wanted to attend if I hadn't already had some experience of shooting the disciplines as I feel there is far too much for someone to take in who has hardly shot.

The one thing I have noticed when Reffing is that people are far less likely to argue or bully a qualified Ref who knows the rules and applies them equally and fairly.

As has been pointed out we don't do it for the money and it's hard work being outside for hours without a break concentrating on clays.  At the BO for example every Ref scored around 3000 clays per day.

I would like to see more practical emphasis on the Referees courses.

Cheers,

Jon.

I recently went on an ESP Referees course at Southdown which wasn't listed on the website or in Pull! I only found out about it from the guy that was running the course whilst chatting to him at the BO ESP and managed to get booked onto it.

Cheers,

Jon.
unless the course was already full that's seems pretty damming!

I recently went on an ESP Referees course at Southdown which wasn't listed on the website or in Pull! I only found out about it from the guy that was running the course whilst chatting to him at the BO ESP and managed to get booked onto it.

Cheers,

Jon.
unless the course was already full that's seems pretty damming!

What the hell is a ref !!   Long gone in this end of the woods, Even Inter Counties have not had qualified refs

this year.  We have  had 1 qualified Ref running between 4 layouts with non qualified helpers not good when its £42 entry.

There has been a few poor decisions as well causing a few Thongs to go up a tad high !! :girlcrazy:

I do believe that Ed S failed the CPSA Course? Now look at him. Word of Mouth beats a Course any day especially at £2000.

But where does a Novice learn to be an Instructor? well you cannot as you need at least 5 years  experience.

Chubby if you are answering to my statement regarding a novice wanting to know where to start, I was not suggesting a novice would want to become an instructor or indeed should. I was suggesting novices may want to know their instructor has a certified course behind them. Novices do not always know about people like Ed. Word of mouth is always best anywhere in life but we all know about Ed's successes and base our choices on what we all say to each other. If you are not an Ed but want to start instructing then you will often need to prove that you at least have knowledge to get your clients in the first place. If you are any good then the word of mouth comes later.

Ed was used as an example only.

Hi Robert,

I did the Safety Officers Course about 4 years ago and did it for the same reason as you, as a relatively new shooter then it was to gain additional knowledge of the Sport and as I had also just switched to an auto. Thought the course was good and you get the Safety Officers manual a couple of weeks before the course to read up.

Skeet Ref's course was about 3.5 years ago and was mostly going through book 5 and book 7, general rules and discipline specific rules and a short practical session on range followed by an exam.

ESP/STR course is pretty much the same format.

The Refs courses I wouldn't have wanted to attend if I hadn't already had some experience of shooting the disciplines as I feel there is far too much for someone to take in who has hardly shot.

The one thing I have noticed when Reffing is that people are far less likely to argue or bully a qualified Ref who knows the rules and applies them equally and fairly.

As has been pointed out we don't do it for the money and it's hard work being outside for hours without a break concentrating on clays. At the BO for example every Ref scored around 3000 clays per day.

I would like to see more practical emphasis on the Referees courses.

Cheers,

Jon.
Trust me sporting qualified ref or not, does not stop people arguing the point, I think I've reffed 10 or 12 british opens, 6 or 7 english, and two world sporting . I'm not sure why the youngsters are taking up reffing, perhaps they just want to shoot,

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is exactly the point that I was making, they just want to shoot.

When I did my C.P.S.A. Instructor course, the B.A.S.C. were not actually doing Instructor courses. Yes,  the Regional Committees' were in existence, but not being involved in current courses, I am unable to comment on their quality.

Suffice it to say that some things NEVER change. It was a condition of the course that, you had attended the newly introduced Safety Officers course AND the 1 day introductory course, before applying for the 3 day course. When I arrived at the hotel on the first night prior to the course, it transpired that some  had never completed any 1 day courses before the current 3 day they were about to embark on. I can not remember how much the one day courses were, but I had at least attended them. Having done the 3 day course, I then had to go away and get some Coaching experience for at least 6 months. As I was running a shooting club at that time, it was not difficult. I then returned for my 1 day final assessment (again involving 2 nights hotel costs). I was later informed by letter that I had qualified. I can not recall the total cost of the courses, but combined with fuel and hotel costs, I think it was close to £1000.

I am unaware how the modern course is run but I find it difficult to accept that neither the CPSA or the BASC will recognise each others qualifications.

Westley said, "I am unaware how the modern course is run but I find it difficult to accept that neither the CPSA or the BASC will recognise each others qualifications."

Westley , they did used to recognise each others qualifications when it was City & Guilds accredited. For some reason the CPSA stopped their involvement.

I re-accredited my Safety Officers course at Garlands when it was run by the Academy, it cost me extra money to do the course and I ended up correcting lots of mistakes in the paperwork , the practical test was a complete joke . Empty beer cans next to a referees chair " Can you see anything that may concern you?"  

A couple of weeks later they stopped the re-accreditation but I never got a refund.

Yep, I did the same BY POST.They sent me the new course notes and the EXAM paper together. I did not hear any figures BUT if you failed ??????

Can I suggest the empty chair and the beer cans,  the answer was "The Ref. has gone for a burst "!

Trust me on the CPSA and BASC issue. Just after I retired I helped with a Young Shots day on the shooting ground that I was running at the time. I was only allowed to 'entertain' the youngsters with a safety talk, whilst they awaited their turn to shoot on MY TRAPS. I was informed that it was an 'Insurance' issue that was to blame for my not being allowed to Instruct. I was then 'advised' to get onto a BASC Instructors course as soon as possible, at MY expense, so that I could then run more Young Shots days. But at least I got to shoot the loaned 20 bore Holland & Holland  ! I am a Life member of BASC, which is probably a good job, because I think I may well have resigned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is a ref !!   Long gone in this end of the woods, Even Inter Counties have not had qualified refs

this year.  We have  had 1 qualified Ref running between 4 layouts with non qualified helpers not good when its £42 entry.

There has been a few poor decisions as well causing a few Thongs to go up a tad high !! :girlcrazy:
And what are you moaning for?????????????   You had the benefit of those "non qualified helpers" twice just lately mate!!!  :laugh:  They must have hated the rest of us, including me!!!  So come on Gaz, how much did you slip the buggers?  :laugh:

Now got a discectomy op booked in for 21 November to sort out a herniated disc causing my sciatica. Seen the lump sticking out of the disc and pressing on the sciatic nerve on the scan myself!

Feeling better now there is light at the end of the tunnel after 3 months of debilitating pain!

Mr Daniel Chan doing it by micro surgery at Nuffield Exeter.

Latest posts

Back