Closing the gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do struggle with the apparent assumption that a gunslip would stop the shot should a live round left in the gun "go off" ie getting all steamed up about whether or not the gun should be open(ed) as it's inserted/removed from a slip is missing the point. 

To me, the precise method as to how you put your gun in a slip is far less important than making sure it's not loaded before you do so.

Surely therefore, whilst slipping/unslipping (made up verb?) a gun, retaining control over the gun by ensuring the barrels are always pointed in a safe direction and of course making sure the gun is empty is all that is required?

Ohh, and in the spirit of inclusion and diversity, this is true regardless of clay or game shooting 😉 
I took it as read that a person would ensure their gun was empty before moving anywhere but of course you can’t.  should they be stupid enough to put a loaded gun away in a slip or indeed when taking it out and assuming they were lucky enough for it not to go off, then broken into the slip - check it and upon opening it - check it.  In essence it’s just safety, safety, safety.   It also makes me feel better to see someone break their gun before taking it out of the slip.  

I do struggle with the apparent assumption that a gunslip would stop the shot should a live round left in the gun "go off" ie getting all steamed up about whether or not the gun should be open(ed) as it's inserted/removed from a slip is missing the point. 

To me, the precise method as to how you put your gun in a slip is far less important than making sure it's not loaded before you do so.

Surely therefore, whilst slipping/unslipping (made up verb?) a gun, retaining control over the gun by ensuring the barrels are always pointed in a safe direction and of course making sure the gun is empty is all that is required?

Ohh, and in the spirit of inclusion and diversity, this is true regardless of clay or game shooting 😉 
Oh, I can vouch for the inefficiency of a gunslip, when it comes to stopping shot. I can recall a certain person blowing the end off a gunslip, when the er....'snap cap' went off  !

Maybe if the gun had been opened when it entered the slip, the 'snap cap'  may have been noticed more readily  ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I can vouch for the inefficiency of a gunslip, when it comes to stopping shot. I can recall a certain person blowing the end off a gunslip, when the er....'snap cap' went off  !

Maybe if the gun had been opened when it entered the slip, the 'snap cap'  may have been noticed more readily  ? 
I fear you may have misunderstood me. I do not think a gunslip would stop shot, quite the opposite!

What I was attempting to make clear is that checking the gun is empty is more important that the precise method of putting the gun in it's slip. In other words, you have pretty much agreed with what I said. Thanks. 

I took it as read that a person would ensure their gun was empty before moving anywhere but of course you can’t.  should they be stupid enough to put a loaded gun away in a slip or indeed when taking it out and assuming they were lucky enough for it not to go off, then broken into the slip - check it and upon opening it - check it.  In essence it’s just safety, safety, safety.   It also makes me feel better to see someone break their gun before taking it out of the slip.  
But that's the point isn't it? ie I'm saying you must check the gun is empty, if this is done then it logically follows that precisely how they slip the gun is of far less importance.

And to be clear, I'm certainly not advocating swinging the barrels around at all, they should be pointed in a safe direction at all times. But clearly the gun needs to be closed at some point in order to be put in the slip, my point is provided the user checks the gun is empty (and that is really the key here) whilst at the same time observing good safe muzzle awareness, then how they put the gun into the slip is of less importance. I accept that you may feel safer seeing the gun opened as it leaves the slip, that is a fair point.  

I guess all I'm saying is there is more than one way to do something properly. 

Unsliping a gun without breaking it boils my pee, same for slipping it. There is no excuse for poor gun safety and when i am minding on a game day i drill it into them

Unsliping a gun without breaking it boils my pee, same for slipping it. There is no excuse for poor gun safety and when i am minding on a game day i drill it into them
Its unbelievable! How anyone wouldn’t open a gun before putting it into a slip or taking it out. No matter how carefully checked that the gun is unloaded... “The gun is always loaded” That’s the only safe assumption 

I’ve taken a bit of flack for my flashing LED snap caps project and these probably wouldn’t help in this situation, but, it shows how dangerous a lack of vigilance an be.
For sure there are those who’d say it’s Darwinism at work and I can see their point.

The workplace is health and safety gone over the top at times, but can see why that is.

Damned fortunate to say the least, to get away with soiled pants.

I’m alarmed to some extent that this is a topic that needs discussion. Of course it does as through discussing the problems, we can find better answers. That there is any ambiguity about how to handle a shotgun... well,  as my twenty something son would say “what the actual fu**!”

My girlfriend who does not shoot can see the clear logic in having a gun open at all times, except when pointing down range. She even asked, why does one not remove that barrels when moving from stand to stand. 

It actually gave her an idea for a product. The 135 degree gunslip. The gun would could only be carried open. We decided to build a prototype this week.

When I took up clay shooting last year, the first thing I did after the corporate day was a shotgun safety course. Though I had plenty of experience with semi-automatic rifles, light sub-machine guns and automatic pistols, for me it was exactly that experience which caused me to take the course. Do not take anything for granted! TREAT THE GUN AS ALWAYS LOADED

Reactions: ips
At least with the 135 gunslip you can save the cost of a strap, you can rest it on your shoulder like the trap/skeet shooters between stands 😆

Unsliping a gun without breaking it boils my pee, same for slipping it. There is no excuse for not doing it safely.
Other than for use in the field, I prefer a case for transport for several reasons. One being that the gun is in several parts and therefore can't be "loaded" (conceivably, one could fail to notice a live shell in the barrels, but the gun can not inadvertently be fired if disassembled). The other that there's no mistaking a gunslip due to its obvious form, while a gun case is at least somewhat less conspicuous. A neighbour once asked me whether I play an alt-sax, and it took me a moment to figure out why.  

Reactions: ips
I like to carry mine in the motor case when in travelling to shoots,fits in a place in the car out of sight that way.

At least with the 135 gunslip you can save the cost of a strap, you can rest it on your shoulder like the trap/skeet shooters between stands 😆
Hey, you missed out the bulk of sporting shooters too. Every week I see them in the car park, remove gun from slip, chuck slip in boot, then wear the gun around the neck, whilst  at the ground. I have no problem with the experienced who carry a gun in this manner, but I DO have a problem with getting smacked around the ear with a stock of a gun being carried by a 'Less Experienced Person', especially in the clubhouse. Yes, I am a gunslip person, but it comes from years of witnessing damaged guns at shooting grounds. I do wish people would not put so much faith in the strength of a zip either.

Always tuck the butt into the sleeve in the slip incase the zip lets go

Hey, you missed out the bulk of sporting shooters too. Every week I see them in the car park, remove gun from slip, chuck slip in boot, then wear the gun around the neck, whilst  at the ground. I have no problem with the experienced who carry a gun in this manner, but I DO have a problem with getting smacked around the ear with a stock of a gun being carried by a 'Less Experienced Person', especially in the clubhouse. Yes, I am a gunslip person, but it comes from years of witnessing damaged guns at shooting grounds. I do wish people would not put so much faith in the strength of a zip either.
Shows how inexperienced I am... didn't think a gun in the clubhouse was ever allowed full stop as a general rule of thumb! Never even considered doing it, always leave mine outside anywhere I go.

Every day's a learning day. :)

Agreed, rather the gun broken than a safety any day
I agree. The only time i use a safety is on a peg (game) or in a hide pigeon shooting, or when roost shooting, i would never rely on a safety per se but i do use it in certain circumstances but in reality it probably is pointless because as you rightly allude to the only safe gun is a broken gun 🤔

Shows how inexperienced I am... didn't think a gun in the clubhouse was ever allowed full stop as a general rule of thumb! Never even considered doing it, always leave mine outside anywhere I go.

It is becoming more that way, but probably due to some of the large 'mouse holes' in the skirting boards. A lot of clubs still have a gunrack in the clubhouse, but I think they are there for the entertainment of the shooters having their sausage butty. Some of the antics of people putting guns in or out of a rack have to be seen to be believed  ??? 

Never like leaving mine unattended anywhere,apart from in the gun safe. If I'm going in the club house, if their not allowed, back to the car and cased and out of site.

My issue is not with slips in general, but putting guns in them after very stand. For the reasons covered off above, probability says that sooner or later a cartridge is left in and sits in a loaded gun in a slip which nobody can see to check. Some think guns in slips are safe and I just don't get that.

I never have my gun in a slip. It goes to the ground in its carrying case and is made up when I get the the ground. There after the gun is broken at all times unless it is my turn to shoot. At the end of the round we are told the round is finished and guns must be unloaded it then either goes onto the rack broken or is carried back to the my car broken and placed in the tail broken. At the end of the shooting day the gun is taken down wiped with an oily rag and put into the carrying case. So in total the gun is as said only ever closed when it is being shot, is broken between shots and is emptied after the last shot is fired and guns have to be emptied. When I get home it is carried from the car and carefully placed at the back of the sofa in the living room until the next shoot... where most shotguns in France are kept  :lol:

Other than for use in the field, I prefer a case for transport for several reasons. One being that the gun is in several parts and therefore can't be "loaded" (conceivably, one could fail to notice a live shell in the barrels, but the gun can not inadvertently be fired if disassembled). The other that there's no mistaking a gunslip due to its obvious form, while a gun case is at least somewhat less conspicuous. A neighbour once asked me whether I play an alt-sax, and it took me a moment to figure out why.  
I use a slip. A neighbour saw it and said, "I didn't know you were a fisherman." I didn't enlighten her.

Also it keeps it dry between stands when it's peeing down. Did you know that we get quite a bit of rain in this country? Especially on shooting days.

I use a slip. A neighbour saw it and said, "I didn't know you were a fisherman." I didn't enlighten her.

Also it keeps it dry between stands when it's peeing down. Did you know that we get quite a bit of rain in this country? Especially on shooting days.
Looking for a nondescript way of transferring from car to house, I found this https://www.niwaki.com/store/tool-bag/

there are similar alternatives much cheaper. Some less than a tenner

Actually, that's not a bad range-bag, as is looks like it would carry most if not all of what I usually lug around. How is the padding and is there room for say a vest, spare shirt and the usual (earmuffs, glasses, chokes, spares bits and so on)?  

Back