Barrel Length- How long??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what length barrels do most shooters use for ESP and why?

30” seems to be the ‘standard’ at most clay grounds but what are the advantages of a 32” gun for you average 5’11”/13st shooter where physique isn’t really the main consideration?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hermit
If you buy a 30" within 2 years you will be changing it for a 32" 

I’ve had my 30” 692 for 3 yrs and we get on just great….I just fancy maybe a 694 or DT11.

Either way, need to head somewhere to try both guns at various lengths.

A  32" dt11 is an absolute tool. Superb handling and balance and the best triggers in the buisness. I'll  say it again. £ for £ the best high end comp gun out there. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all to do with body type and strength and nothing else. All will need rebalancing for the discipline you shoot but personal preference plays zero part. 

So, I’m 4’11 and a tad over 9 stone.  Had a MK38 30” for donkeys years, loved it but it was very barrel heavy as I had the stock shortened and I struggled on quick targets.  Ended up in lockdown with a K80 Parcours, 32” which when balanced properly by Ben above fits like a dream.  Shooting better then I’ve ever shot, gone up a class, averages much improved and hoping for more so I guess what I’m saying is, it doesn’t matter on your size, if your gun fits you and feels good and steady then it’s right for you.  I would say make sure you get it fitted and balanced properly but it’s all down to personal choices. Good luck.

It’s all to do with body type and strength and nothing else. All will need rebalancing for the discipline you shoot but personal preference plays zero part. 
Maybe you could explain what 'body type' uses what barrel length? I mean, look at you and GD, two totally different 'body types'. So why doesn't 'personnel preference' play a part? 

Maybe you could explain what 'body type' uses what barrel length? I mean, look at you and GD, two totally different 'body types'. So why doesn't 'personnel preference' play a part? 
And if personal preference pays no part why do you shoot a Krieghoff 

And if personal preference pays no part why do you shoot a Krieghoff 
Krieghoff is the gun. This was a barrel question nothing to do with gun. 

U got to be able to move what u shoot. I tried 34” and I couldn’t do what I wanted with it. 

a lot of people go off feel in a gun shop not how they feel on the last stand of a long 100 birder. 

more balance on all guns is important 

u have to have the strength and mobility to move whatever u shoot 100 times perfectly on slow and fast birds

So in the end you had a personal preference for the 32'' barrels then
 No it’s was a result based choice, my father as he’s got older has changed barrel weight and length to mirror his loss on strength. 

many can make it on preference and they would be making a bad choice 

So it's pretence not preference I see now

Edit .Confused again now as you've changed it back to preference 

Its easy to get overall gun weight & barrel weight mixed up because (historically) the barrel weight (to a large degree) dictated the gun weight - the best you could do was put some weight in the stock bolt hole or buy some lighter chokes (if that makes any difference anyway).

Now it doesn't matter so much with lighter barrels & factory fit weights. I would be interested to see how many are shooting 30 inch barrels (694, F3, Pro Sport etc) with weights on or 32 inch barrels without - assuming overall the weight & balance are the same. What would be difference in real terms ?

Well if she gets a lot of muzzle flip when shooting skeet she controls it exceptionally well then 30'' Barrels but carbon rib/trigger to help weight 😉
She don´t, because her barrels are as long as she is tall, someone said :)

Back