Closing the gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad target setting...
True but I'm not setting them, tends to be when their hit and explode the bits tend to go where you would hope they don't but do, one reason I always wear eye/head protection.

Not just this ground, others it has happened on, this one seems more prone though

Bad target setting...
How do you account for an overhead driven by that comment? Can't think of any ground I've been to where when one of those has been on the menu, there's every possibility that a bit of shrapnel could wang you, and that includes Bisley, Owls, Royal Berks, the list would go on I imagine.

Just a small point , no one ever shot anyone accidentally. They were all shot negligently. 

Sorry for replying to a a six week old post, but I have to agree. Outside of a war zone, people ( dogs, cars, the floor) only get shot in one of two ways: intentionally, or negligently.

The first time I ever shot a gun, I was five or six years old . It was impressed upon me by me dad from day one that you NEVER let the muzzle of a firearm point at or cross anything that you don't mean to kill or destroy. It's the first rule of gun safety. All guns are always loaded--treat them as such. Or, always treat every gun as if it were loaded and ready to fire.

How do you account for an overhead driven by that comment? Can't think of any ground I've been to where when one of those has been on the menu, there's every possibility that a bit of shrapnel could wang you, and that includes Bisley, Owls, Royal Berks, the list would go on I imagine.
Shot driven yesterday,nothing dropping on the open area of the shoot...

Think Charliedog maaaay have been taking the p1ss... it's okay fella, everyone else got it! :sarcastic:

The point was if correctly set there is no need for fall out on shooting stations,paths,waiting areas...
That's your opinion. Interesting that you think Royal Berks, Owls Lodge, Bisley, etc. all don't know what they're doing.

Think Charliedog maaaay have been taking the p1ss... it's okay fella, everyone else got it! :sarcastic:

That's your opinion. Interesting that you think Royal Berks, Owls Lodge, Bisley, etc. all don't know what they're doing.
In answer to your first comment you really are a condescending ass.

In answer to your second "Interesting that you think Royal Berks, Owls Lodge, Bisley, etc. all don't know what they're doing." is repetitive rhetoric. Nobody is perfect everybody makes mistakes, clays can be wind affected but when set properly there is no need for fall out in public areas.

It is a grounds responsibility to ensure the safety of the public

Obviously you are a massively experienced shooter that has shot at a myriad of grounds with targets set by a vast array of target setters to be making that comment...

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, was the OP psychic when choosing their username that long ago as it seems particularly prophetic as to how popular Mr Packham became recently with the game community, I believe regarding crows?! 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Safety and the mess they leave behind. As soon as I see a semi auto come onto the ground I want to leave! Detestable things so they are I had a guy hitting me with his empties from post three when I was on five  :mad:
It must have needed cleaning then, I can usually hit post 5 from post 2, but then  i do a good job on the cleaning of the gun.  I have over 20 years experience of actually running a shooting ground and most shoot days I was overseeing the DTL. I have run countless Young Shots and 'Have a go' days all,  or most,  of which,  have involved the use of a semi auto. This has allowed ALL of my pupils to go away totally uninjured and in turn has led to several taking up OUR sport. I have also witnessed many times,  Macho Man,  teaching some poor unsuspecting young Lady how to shoot an O/U with some punchy cartridge or other and a gun that is far from a reasonable fit. ALL of my pupils have come back for more, whereas I suspect Macho Mans pupil will NEVER go near a gun again  !  Semi Auto's are probably one of the safest guns around, due in no small amount to the owner being more than aware of other shooters with a totally unjustified and unfounded prejudice against their use.  I do hope that you always remain fit enough to use an O/U or dare I utter a profanity, a Side by Side, 12 bore shotgun, however there are a lot of people still able to shoot, thanks to the much reduced recoil that a gas operated semi auto offers.  I too suffer from severe shoulder problems and there are occasions that I am forced into using my semi auto in order to shoot. Would you perhaps suggest that I remain at home and sip my cocoa, rather than run the risk of seeing you depart the shooting ground  ?  I have the same feelings about O/U  guns when I have to clear the cage of a sporting stand of used cases, the semi auto cases are outside the cage and thus present no hazard to anyone.  If you shot at my ground, you would probably find a semi auto welded to the front gate, That way you would save the effort of actually getting out of your car  !       🤬

Back