What’s up with the high rib?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnWick

Went shooting with my son last week. (Sporting Clays) Last time I shot clays was 1965 when in high school. At the time the big deal was the Browning O/U.
Went to a trap range yesterday was surprised to see the amount of high ribbed barrels were being used.
I understand that it’s a popular setup for trap but not clear why it wouldn’t hold true for all clay shooting.
Online searches for O/U guns doesn’t seem like the high rib is too popular.
what am I missing?

Not sure you are missing anything. The high ribs were designed for trap shooting but a couple of manufacturers produced high rib sporters which started a bit of a trend, namely Caesar Guerini and beretta but I believe no advantage has been found in using a high rib for sporting so the trend seems to have slowed right down and in my part of the world very few are seen for sporting. That is my take on the situation but I stand to be corrected.
I did buy a Beretta Gold E X in 32'' but in all honesty, I found it very ungainly and heavy so it was sold and I stay with standard ribs ever since.
Phil

Agree with Philpot. I always found they were more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Some who feel they need a more head-up stance like them. Personally I find them odd as there is “clutter” in view especially on rising crossers. My mate is in AAA and loves his, but he shoots a semi auto just as well, so not sure the gun is the factor.

And even those very high ribs in trap shooting are not very common any more.

Yeah you guys are right. The high or stepped ribs were mostly used for trap, most commonly DTL and American trap. Over the years many DT shooters adopted them.
They were never that popular with OT, UT or ABT shooters, although I have used a few over the years. Can’t say they made me shoot any better or worse.
As for use in sporting? Yes I’ve seen them around but they don’t seem to be too popular.
Don’t forget, the marketing boys are constantly looking for new ways to sell guns! 😂

With trap a higher rib and higher comb might he a bit more relaxed. But with high birds it could be a problem, i think.

Until a few months ago, I was shooting a CG Invictus III Ltd Ascent that had the mid-rib. It looked stunning but looks don't break clays! I gave it 18 months and ALOT of cartridges but I just couldn't get on with it. I gave up and moved to a Blaser F3 Professional with a standard rib and I am shooting far better than I ever did with the CG. As an example, the first time that I shot the Blaser was the Pro One at Barbury and finished on 94/120! I'll be sticking with a standard rib thanks!

Agreed high ribs for sporting are not for everyone but depending on your physique etc they can suit some people including me ( tall with a long neck ).
I did my best shooting 10 or so years ago with a Beretta 682 xtrap with a fairly high rib and also a Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent.
For some reason went away from high ribs until recently and bought a Browning XT, high rib trap version of the XS and my shooting has improved somewhat. It’s a lovely steady gun but a bit of a beast at just under 9lb.
For the majority a flat rib is the better option though.

Went shooting with my son last week. (Sporting Clays) Last time I shot clays was 1965 when in high school. At the time the big deal was the Browning O/U.
Went to a trap range yesterday was surprised to see the amount of high ribbed barrels were being used.
I understand that it’s a popular setup for trap but not clear why it wouldn’t hold true for all clay shooting.
Online searches for O/U guns doesn’t seem like the high rib is too popular.
what am I missing?
As l understand it the high rib was designed to enable "built in lead" on going away rising targets as in DTL, ball trap, OT etc. For sporting you would need to shoot below level or dropping targets, or use a gun that shoots to "point of aim" and adjust to suit, so it really is a matter of choice.

Oldblaster. 100% right! And I know some coaches don't like pattern plates but that's another reason why I prefer to use one to see where the gun shoots for the individual that is pulling the trigger. As you say, it's a matter of choice.

Last edited:
Oldblaster. 100% right! And I know some coaches don't like pattern plates but that's another reason why I prefer to use one to see where the gun shoots for the individual that is pulling the trigger. As you say, it's a matter of choice.
Yes l agree, always used a pattern plate just for peace of mind to know where the shot is landing if nothing else!

The Caesar Guerini ascent guns are 50/50 above and below the bead so no built in lead for rising targets, just a more comfortable head up position for some.

Latest posts

Back