Chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round ones. All the others dont work.

Bigroo, apologies for that.. but have a search for `chokes` on here. Must be 100 pages of it. No simple answer as there are so many personal needs and other issues that affect it..

What are the best Chokes & Why??
Assuming they are made to a good standard and ideally made to work with the dimensions of the bore of your gun, then most chokes are certainly "adequate", including manufacturers ones.

Extended chokes are often better, as they give a smoother flow, to shape the shot charge. You can ported ones, twisted ones, ones that strip the wad from the shot charge etc.

Some popular manufacturers are Briley, Kicks, Rhino, CompNChoke, Teague and my personal choice, Muller.

I choose Muller for several reasons, some of them based on proven fact...they are the absolute lightest extended chokes you can buy. They are the cleanest.

The other reasons are; I believe (as does Muller) that they give a consistently good even pattern (rather than one with a very hot centre and sod all anywhere else in the pattern) and I also believe, that they give very good kills even at distances you would not expect, for a given degree of choke.

So their attributes suit what I want to do with them and most of all, I have confidence in them and do not feel the need to change them for every stand, so giving me less to think/worry about...which is nice! :)

For the most part, choke choice (manufacturer wise) is Subjective.

Round ones. All the others dont work.

Bigroo, apologies for that.. but have a search for `chokes` on here. Must be 100 pages of it. No simple answer as there are so many personal needs and other issues that affect it..
Ah the round ones yes! They're very good Will. Brilliant!!!! :.: :.:

I prefer manual choke, so when I pull the knob out from the dashboard and the light comes on, I know it's on and I can turn it off when I like.

Being superseded by fuel injection which is a good thing

7313463.jpg

Skeet UK, I was discussing steel shot with you on a different topic and you said that you shot no.9 steel, but I just looked at the Muller website and for the U1 choke (Skeet) they say you shouldnt use anything larger than 7.5 has this caused you any problems.

Skeet UK, I was discussing steel shot with you on a different topic and you said that you shot no.9 steel, but I just looked at the Muller website and for the U1 choke (Skeet) they say you shouldnt use anything larger than 7.5 has this caused you any problems.
No.9 shot is smaller than 7.5 shot! 5 & 6 are bigger.

Dave,

I think the best chokes are the ones used by Nick Dean!

A very pleasant young man who was taught to shoot efficiently and uses the finest gun to shoot with.

Obviously over the Winter or because of Winter advise he may go to a Krieghoff or Perazzi.

But of course we all make mistakes.

Only teasing Dave, when are you and Nick moving to Shropshire?

Choke is an emotive subject. How does one quantify BEST?

Dave,

I think the best chokes are the ones used by Nick Dean!

A very pleasant young man who was taught to shoot efficiently and uses the finest gun to shoot with.

Obviously over the Winter or because of Winter advise he may go to a Krieghoff or Perazzi.

But of course we all make mistakes.

Only teasing Dave, when are you and Nick moving to Shropshire?

Choke is an emotive subject. How does one quantify BEST?
I was actually born in Shropshire!!

Brilliant :.:

Dave it would be good to see you and Nick on the 16th, even if only for a short period of time. The club needs and deserves all the help it can get.

Hedge Monkeys need to be able to hit going away & quartering birds 1/2 & 3/4 should be enough.

An easy enough mistake to make for a beginner. Our topsy turvy world, where 20 is smaller than 12 and 5 is bigger than 9, can be quite confusing ;)
Your quite right Skeet i hold my head in shame :cry: :cry: Apologies all round we were all beginers once :huh:

Latest posts

Back