Ported Chokes?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twelvebore

I'm looking at a few new chokes for my Beretta, are there any benefits to 'ported chokes'? I can see the advantage of extended chokes, but the porting aspect I don't understand.

Are there any benefits? In a word, no.

This topic has been discussed in detail several times before. Have a look through the old posts, you’ll find all you need to know.

Last edited:
Jan is correct however in my opinion ported chokes achieves nothing and are a bug**r to clean.

Ported barrels had the port holes at the top of the barrels - the idea was that the release of gases would push the berrels down down and the gun would rise less. Chokes on the other hand are ported all around the extended section - they have to be as the orientation canbnot be guranted. As such they achieve nothing as the gasses are distributed evenly. They are, to me, yet another bit of 'snake oil' marketing.

Hot powder and other crap from the barrels get caked on them and they often need to be soaked to get them entirely clean.

I once had a Beretta 687 ported by Gunmark , they offered that service 35 years ago . It did nothing other than make the gun noisier and harder to clean . 30 years ago I went through a period of buying Rhino ported chokes , just a PITA to clean . I’ve still got some k80 Rhinos that came with the gun , they are inferior to the Krieghoff standard extended choke .

I love my Rhino ported chokes, They have a much better internal finish than Beretta extended chokes, They paten well, great kills, they take a bit more effort to clean but I'm happy with the performance.

I have recently bought a gun which has ported barrels, it seems it left the factory like that. I have only put around 400 rounds through it, mainly plastic wads, but also a few fibre wads. The first time I cleaned it, I was scrubbing out both barrels for all I was worth. I just couldn't shift some powder flakes near the muzzle. Then it dawned on me...........I was trying to shift the 'porting' NOT powder flakes ! 😂
Having now realised, I have to say I find it no harder to clean than any of my other, none ported barrels. I do use relatively clean cartridges, which are stored indoors.

I have recently bought a gun which has ported barrels, it seems it left the factory like that. I have only put around 400 rounds through it, mainly plastic wads, but also a few fibre wads. The first time I cleaned it, I was scrubbing out both barrels for all I was worth. I just couldn't shift some powder flakes near the muzzle. Then it dawned on me...........I was trying to shift the 'porting' NOT powder flakes ! 😂
Having now realised, I have to say I find it no harder to clean than any of my other, none ported barrels. I do use relatively clean cartridges, which are stored indoors.

Reminds me of when I bought my first Remmi 1100 when I was a teenager and spent an age trying to scrub out the gas ports before coming to conclusion they were pitting.
My dad laughed his bits off. 🙃

Last edited:
Ported Barrels were a fad in the late 80 s - 90’s . So was dressing like Don Johnson on Miami Vice .. that puts it in perspective.
Still plenty being used at International competitions

If you are around someone using ported chokes give them a wide berth while they are shooting as the noise is quite impressive when standing to the side
I've noticed the above, with ported barrels, but not chokes.

If you are around someone using ported chokes give them a wide berth while they are shooting as the noise is quite impressive when standing to the side
I have had this gun for 2 months now and I have shot it 5 times. None of my shooting pals have noticed any difference in noise. However, I only shoot Sporting and therefore the gun is not being used in confined spaces or shelters found on Trap layouts. Maybe that makes a difference ?

Back