Back into it again

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

Hello you lot, I have been off the shooting scene for most of the year with other projects etc. but came back two weeks ago after buying a Beretta 32'' 682 gold E X trap with the high rib. Tried it out at High Lodge as I was staying there for a week and whilst it is a lovely piece of kit, I am having some issues with it.

Okay, it is a higher rib which strangely enough worked very very well on the High Lodge sporting layout but I am not having an easy time on the trap layouts. DTL keep missing a few when I would not normally, don't know why. OT, missing nearly all the straight targets but my swear words are getting much better.

I am going to have a session with a coach because I am sure it is me but I  can't work out where I am going wrong. Anybody else shooting one of these and if so, how do you find them. If things do not improve, it is going before I thow it across the layout.

Phil

What's the coach going to work on , Your shooting or improving your swearing :)

If you are missing dead straight going away targets (not stating the obvious but) your gun is not shooting where you are looking, this could be due to several reasons. I recently noticed that I was shooting consistently high left even though my eye was centred on the rib and was the correct height. What corrected it was a change in pitch, not saying your issue is pitch but you definitely need the gun fit to be checked, once that has been removed from the equation a coach can then help if you are still missing...

Funny things to get used to these high ribs. Previous comment is correct you sub consciously think they shoot high but not necessarily so. Fast trap very difficult to achieve consistency but Dtl do able with practice

Thank you for the comments. No don't need help with the swear words------pretty good at that.

I used to shoot a 32'' Miroku MK38 with no real issues. I have fancied one of these for a while and whilst in Derek Lee's, He said, I have just got A 682 E X that you wanted. That was fatal, 200 straight in the shop, if you know what I mean, fell in love and paid the dosh.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding the gun shooting lower than I think, after all, I made no special effort with the sporting, it shot where I wanted it to and in fact I may well use it for sporting.

I am sure you know what I mean when I say it just does not suit me at trap without really knowing why. It is heavy and whilst on sporting I do not find it heavy to use at all but when premounting for trap, the gun seems slow to move and the weight seems uncomfortable. I wont just get rid, I need to work with it a bit to see where we go. I will get Hamish at Beverley to look over my shoulder this Saturday and see what he finds.

If all else fails, this really stunning gun will get changed for a DT10

Phil

You will get used to it but be prepared for a month or two before it clicks.

Funny things to get used to these high ribs. Previous comment is correct you sub consciously think they shoot high but not necessarily so. Fast trap very difficult to achieve consistency but Dtl do able with practice
I tried one of these a while back and found myself doing exactly that and probably adjusting unnecessarily thinking it would shoot high. Also when I did miss I could never work out where I was! The perception of knowing where you are with a low rib gun was gone and I just couldn't work out where I was.

Lovely guns though, hope you work it out and as mentioned I think it will either click or will need a few carts through it to adjust to the perception of shooting with so much air around the clay.

Hello you lot, I have been off the shooting scene for most of the year with other projects etc. but came back two weeks ago after buying a Beretta 32'' 682 gold E X trap with the high rib. Tried it out at High Lodge as I was staying there for a week and whilst it is a lovely piece of kit, I am having some issues with it.

Okay, it is a higher rib which strangely enough worked very very well on the High Lodge sporting layout but I am not having an easy time on the trap layouts. DTL keep missing a few when I would not normally, don't know why. OT, missing nearly all the straight targets but my swear words are getting much better.

I am going to have a session with a coach because I am sure it is me but I can't work out where I am going wrong. Anybody else shooting one of these and if so, how do you find them. If things do not improve, it is going before I thow it across the layout.

Phil
After reading this, I think missing straight away targets with a high rib could be an eye dominance issue. your eyes are seeing a slightly different picture than a flat rib and it's leaving room for the error to creep in. This is just an idea, you would need to get somebody knowledgable behind you, and see if you are missing straight away targets down the left(if shooting off right shoulder).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I decided to go to Beverley on Sat to try again. I had Hamish to look over my shoulder and with a few target pick up points changed, we are in business. It appears that by having my muzzle a little lower and looking a little higher above the gun for the target seems to work very well for me so I wont get shut just yet as I was pleased with the way it all worked.

We will see how things develop over the coming weeks/months.

Phil

Latest posts

Back