APATHY STILL ORDER OF THE DAY

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guerini Guy

Went to the Essex CPSA AGM on Wednesday and, I'm sure not to anybody's real surprise, the turnout was dismal. But I mean really dismal even compared to other years.

With a free bar and food, I am still amazed that people can't make the effort for one night of the year to at least support their county, even if they find the politics of Region and HQ too hard to bare.

Apart from the Committee, who themselves were down on numbers (only four there but with apparently only one apology for absence that we were made aware of ?) I counted only 26 members attending.

When considering that we were told on the evening that the county has no less than 1119 paid up CPSA Members, a 2.3% turnout has to be disappointing to say the least. Previous years have seen at least double that, which still isn't that good anyway, but this effort was particularly poor.

The only upside was that there was so much food for everybody, and we won about four prizes in the raffle !!!

I hope the Committee can find new ways of trying to engage with the membership.

That is correct, just because people join an organisation does not mean that they must get involved with the politics, there is nothing on the membership form that states that you must do anything at all. Some people like to sit on commitees and be involved with things and some of us like to pay our annual membership and shoot. I for one WILL NOT apologise for it and too be honest I am getting a bit fed up of this constant barrage towards "some people just want to shoot" YES WE DO that's the point.

I don't have a problem with that! I have a problem with the ones who never attend but want to make changes while sat in the clubhouse drinking tea at the shoots!

If you had 26 to your AGM you did well. Somerset had barely half that number. Tonight is the South West AGM and I will be surprised if there are 26 people there.

I'll let you know.

Sussex doesn't have a meeting according to the CPSA site. 

How do I know which one I'm expected to show some interest in?

After nearly 2 months shooting and CPSA membership ( and BASC ) I'm beginning to see some evidence of disconnection between the 'national body' and the vast majority of its membership both paid up and potential!

Last edited by a moderator:

After nearly 2 months shooting and CPSA membership ( and BASC ) I'm beginning to see some evidence of disconnection between the 'national body' and the vast majority of its membership both paid up and potential!
It was on 3rd February at Southdown Gun Club. It's on the Sussex web site.

Shame. My county (Lincolnshire) seems to buck the trend. We always have a good turnout at the AGM, particularly considering the county incorporates what is really Humberside. County events get a good attendance and the committee engage well with the shooters.

Sad to see it's not the same elsewhere.

I have just been through the welcome pack I was sent by the CPSA and there is nothing about the local county sub committees, since joining the only interaction with the CPSA has been the magazine and calls I have made to them. Possibly the reason there is little Interest is that they are not communicating outwards, expecting people to come to them?

Why is there no forum on the cpsa site to discuss matters with the membership? It's an ideal way to gather info these days.

Why no cpsa forum ?

indeed, what a good idea why not ?

Went to the Essex CPSA AGM on Wednesday and, I'm sure not to anybody's real surprise, the turnout was dismal. But I mean really dismal even compared to other years.

With a free bar and food, I am still amazed that people can't make the effort for one night of the year to at least support their county, even if they find the politics of Region and HQ too hard to bare.

Apart from the Committee, who themselves were down on numbers (only four there but with apparently only one apology for absence that we were made aware of ?) I counted only 26 members attending.

When considering that we were told on the evening that the county has no less than 1119 paid up CPSA Members, a 2.3% turnout has to be disappointing to say the least. Previous years have seen at least double that, which still isn't that good anyway, but this effort was particularly poor.

The only upside was that there was so much food for everybody, and we won about four prizes in the raffle !!!

I hope the Committee can find new ways of trying to engage with the membership.
I have enough politics to deal with in work. The last thing I want is to have to deal with it in my own (shooting) time.

You missed it ...

This year the Sussex CPSA regional AGM will be held at Southdown Gun Club at Muntham Farm, North End, Findon, BN14 ORQ on Monday 3rd February 2014 from 19:30hrs for a 20:00hrs start, refreshments will be provided.

Why is there no forum on the cpsa site to discuss matters with the membership? It's an ideal way to gather info these days.
Hee Hee......we tried to get that for ages.....

They are scared of it getting out of control.... :laugh:

Or people disagreeing with them online for all to see :laugh:

I have enough politics to deal with in work. The last thing I want is to have to deal with it in my own (shooting) time.
Agreed.

I also just want to shoot. Stuff the politics...no one is listening anyway so why waste your breath.

We all just want our mag and the scores and the classifications (well not me really....i am not bothered about those.....I just want to shoot ) 

:laugh:

Latest posts

Back