trap guns... abt, ot?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was too easy - Ian Peel did. Braithwaite used a Browning C3 and was awarded a D5G for his efforts. Beretta loyalty prize is an SO5 I believe.

hmmm.... choices.....

I must admit perazzi do look very nice, I guess i'll have to see if i like OT and can justify one! Just bought 500 Fiocchi top One 24gr to have a play. i suspect they are going to be poo shells as only £150/1000...

I 'think' Steve Walton uses a MK38?

After winning his silver medal Ian Peel became a Beretta sponsored shooter, but never did much with it.

It is my understanding that the USA Olympic team have all been given Krieghoffs, we will have to see if they use them.

seems that the yanks have been very consistent across the board so far.

To recap: 32" is a british anomaly - the rest of the world use 30" or 750mm for OT. Internationally only USA use Krieghoff. The Russians could use anything they want but it's Perazzi. As we've pointed out before 14 of the first 15 places in the OT at the Beijing Olympics went to Perazzi. Mauro Perazzi makes sure of this. Beretta the largest gun manufacturer in the world would like a piece of this action.

Stick to the Miroku Mk38, Ian Peel never shot better than with his. Mind you he's not bad with his current Perazzi...

To generalise for trap, use 30" of barrel per six foot of shooter. Newbie I remember is 6'3" so is a natural 32 barrel.

I've campaigned with 27.5, 28.5, 750mm, 32" and 34" Perazzi and in general I liked them longer. Don't mistake extended chokes for the same - we're talking extended rib length, not barrel.

An aside - leave out multichoke on very long barrels unless they reduce the weight. For years I liked heavier and heavier barrels then realised damn, all I needed to do was lighten the stock :mellow:
so what do you use now? 30 or 32in?

I'm a smidge under 6ft 2. i like slightly lighter barrels so its a bit more pointable.

the top one were ace :) now to find somewhere cheap for them....

The latin countries very much prefer 30" [many are 29.5" because it is 750mm] but they're not 6'2". I currently use 1680gm barrels and 790gm stock on an MX8 action though I have a suspicion that 2:1 ratio barrel to stock weight may be a good idea. Remember that an adjustable comb adds 100gm and that multichoke puts weight where you don't want it. For newbie's location Mid Wales shooting ground will hold many used Perazzi that can be tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latin countries very much prefer 30" [many are 29.5" because it is 750mm] but they're not 6'2". I currently use 1680gm barrels and 790gm stock on an MX8 action though I have a suspicion that 2:1 ratio barrel to stock may be a good idea. Remember that an adjustable comb adds 100gm and that multichoke puts weight where you don't want it. For newbie's location Mid Wales shooting ground will hold many used Perazzi that can be tried.
i guess a touch more weight at the stock end will lighten the barrells and make them more responsive with a risk of 'wavy'?

i guess i just need to try a 30in and then compare versus 32in... i'm only worried because yesterday i felt i was chasing the faster birds and kills seemed a smidge slower versus the OT shooters there.

A good gun should balance between the hands, not at one end or other.

In my humble opinion and brought to you by the marvels of iPad in bed.

It's a common fallacy to seek the perfect gun when there is much to be done on style. Speed comes with the passage of time. You can hand your gun to the best shot and he will outshoot you always and that isn't only natural ability.

The latin countries very much prefer 30" [many are 29.5" because it is 750mm] but they're not 6'2". I currently use 1680gm barrels and 790gm stock on an MX8 action though I have a suspicion that 2:1 ratio barrel to stock may be a good idea. Remember that an adjustable comb adds 100gm and that multichoke puts weight where you don't want it. For newbie's location Mid Wales shooting ground will hold many used Perazzi that can be tried.
but 29.5in though?

Newbie you're 6'2" and probably clever because you're thinking about this too much. Trapshooters are better with what brain they have removed and get on with it. Concentrate on technique - copy someone whose style you admire - all the champions did this. Digweed had Beretta, Kemen, Perazzi phases - they couldn't always be perfect guns. Peel went Browning, Miroku, Beretta, Perazzi. It didn't make much difference - he walked out last month with a broken leg and shot 97.

But don't imagine that breaking your leg will help - there are some excellent one-armed shooters. :mellow:

Newbie you're 6'2" and probably clever because you're thinking about this too much. Trapshooters are better with what brain they have removed and get on with it. Concentrate on technique - copy someone whose style you admire - all the champions did this. Digweed had Beretta, Kemen, Perazzi phases - they couldn't always be perfect guns. Peel went Browning, Miroku, Beretta, Perazzi. It didn't make much difference - he walked out last month with a broken leg and shot 97.

But don't imagine that breaking your leg will help - there are some excellent one-armed shooters. :mellow:
Brilliant reply. (Laughswhilstnoddinghead)

Newbie you're 6'2" and probably clever because you're thinking about this too much. Trapshooters are better with what brain they have removed and get on with it. Concentrate on technique - copy someone whose style you admire - all the champions did this. Digweed had Beretta, Kemen, Perazzi phases - they couldn't always be perfect guns. Peel went Browning, Miroku, Beretta, Perazzi. It didn't make much difference - he walked out last month with a broken leg and shot 97. But don't imagine that breaking your leg will help - there are some excellent one-armed shooters. :mellow:
cool, i'll find something i like and spend the rest on shells.... Thanks for your time and rpelies btw, much appreciated as want to avoid wasting time and egt on with getting better.

Newbie if you went out in the rain yesterday, you're eager enough.

40UP [still drying out]

Newbie if you went out in the rain yesterday, you're eager enough.

40UP [still drying out]
i saw sense yesterday! Spent it in A&E instead with a poorly pregnant wife. really glad i wasnt away now!

Many years ago, Perazzi were advertised as the ' Ferrari ' of shotguns because they were the fastest handling gun around. I used to own a 29.5'' Perazzi for shooting ABT----spot on!!!!

Phil

Back