Semi-Auto for Trap Shooting.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm staying out of this. 
That's so strange? Aren't you the Guy I've seen pictured shooting an auto on here? Not sure about your choice of shooting footwear, but each to their own??

I would go so far as to say you are famous for shooting an auto, so I thought you might have a strong opinion on them?  :wink:

(This line is invisible to Les53 - Do you think he'll bite now?)  :angel:

The rules allow semi auto's but where and when they shoot is down to the ground. Grounds can, and do squad semi auto shooters together because others choose not to shoot with them (justifiably in my opinion). This often means shooting first or last thing or on your own.

Nobody in the UK uses them anyway so it's not really an issue.
Grounds can, and do squad semi auto shooters together because others choose not to shoot with them

Nobody in the UK uses them anyway so it's not really an issue.

you have just contradicted yourself

It's true we don't see them on the Trap scene too much but they're a regular feature on the US circuit and they practically shoot nothing else, so if they can get used to the rhythm then surely so can we.

That's so strange? Aren't you the Guy I've seen pictured shooting an auto on here? Not sure about your choice of shooting footwear, but each to their own??

I would go so far as to say you are famous for shooting an auto, so I thought you might have a strong opinion on them?  :wink:

(This line is invisible to Les53 - Do you think he'll bite now?)  :angel:
I may be "infamous" as an auto shooter!  :lol:  It was only done as a one off charity event and I shall never live it down Ian. Beyond that I shall not be drawn, I've been in far too much trouble over auto's on here in the past. :lol:

The vast majority of American Trap shooters use SBT's or OU's.  The only problems arise when an auto shooter doesn't have the courtesy to use a shell catcher for singles and caps and a deflector when shooting doubles. Problems also arise from inexperienced auto shooters that close their actions with poor timing, thus setting off the voice activated release.  There are practically no autoloader shooters in AA in the USA, but I managed to get there and to the 25 yard line with a DeVault barreled 391.  I have since switched to a KX6 for singles and caps and it's proven to be a very good move.  

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit I wouldn't shoot next to anyone using an auto on a trap layout without a shell catcher. Had too many shells actually bouncing off my gun or head in the past from being on the wrong side.

Puts you off your shooting rhythm when you have to take a couple of paces backwards before they shoot so you're out of the way of their cartridges.

If I had to use one I'd get one of these - http://multicatch.com/

Westley you can shoot your auto with me on a line as I am not at all phased by the cartridge cases flying into my head.  I am also really happy to pick up the empties after.   :)

Interestingly the cover picture on the front of the current issue of "Pull" is a semi-auto. It's one of those with a blue action. Surprisingly there's no reference to "Unsafe" or "Distracting for Others" or "Scattering empties all over the Landscape". No mention of multiple mutinies or gangs of OU users staging a strike. What's more I have examined the photo (both on the web and the actual magazine) and cannot find the "666" supposedly engraved on these weapons. 

Given the venom sometimes directed at the things perhaps is this is sign that the CPSA (or at least "Pull" magazine) is the work of Satan?

Right. Shot in intercounties all-round this year with Mrs jasper and the awesome blue auto. Conscious of all the whining trappies I volunteered to be on her right for the trap disciplines , thus maybe compromising my own shoot. .So been there and done it and can say with all honesty that I was not distracted at all .in fact was struggling to see what all the fuss was about.. So  to the end of the shoot when Mrs was in shoot off for area gold and you guessed it . dtl .so of the four people involed in shoot off Mrs gets "drawn " on peg four. Coincidence???. Me thinks not.

Did once get told off by a dtl squad for talking behind the line. About 50 yards behind.   :baby:

me thinks that the trap boys need to get a life.(insert smiley of your choice )

trap and trap shooters are intense its just the way we approach things. Any distraction audible or visual is considered a faux pas its just the way it is. As for autos I remain against there use at trap for the above reasons and I have yet to meet a serious trap shooter who does not think the same its just the way we are.

Look Guy's there may be something being missed here.

Through the years I have known many shooters that at one time or another turn to a semi auto so as to alleviate the effects of some sort of injury to the upper body  I.e. neck shoulders arm's back etc

I do not shoot trap thank Christ but to suggest that auto shooters should have to shoot on their own is deplorable .

God bless you if you're a trap shooter and your unlucky enough to get your self injured

Dave

trap and trap shooters are intense its just the way we approach things. Any distraction audible or visual is considered a faux pas its just the way it is. As for autos I remain against there use at trap for the above reasons and I have yet to meet a serious trap shooter who does not think the same its just the way we are.
To be fair to non trap shooters, I think it's difficult to appreciate just how competitive the game is. This isn't sporting that can be won with a score in the low to mid 90s, DTL shooters need a perfect score if they're to win anything and more often than not all it assures you is a place in the shoot-off. 

Perfection starts with knowing who you're shooting with, the gun they use, their technique and timing. That's why the big hitters always shoot together, they know what they're getting before they pull the trigger. A semi-auto on the line's just not conducive to a big score, that's one of the reasons why nobody who's serious about the game uses one.

I think Jan offers a reasonable explanation for the serious trap shooters' dislike of the auto.  It's different in sporting because you are in the stand on your own and usually the only person who may get the odd cartridge ejected in their direction is the ref if they happen to be within ejection area.  I really don't have a problem on a line with an auto as I'm shooting trap for fun rather than to win a competition.  In fact I still have not entered a DTL competition simply because I would be worrying about putting the others off in some way and that is the truth.  I get more irritated by shooting DTL with people who don't appreciate the rhythms of the line, who hold up the flow and I'm not even a serious trap shooter!  

I think Jan offers a reasonable explanation for the serious trap shooters' dislike of the auto.  It's different in sporting because you are in the stand on your own and usually the only person who may get the odd cartridge ejected in their direction is the ref if they happen to be within ejection area.  I really don't have a problem on a line with an auto as I'm shooting trap for fun rather than to win a competition.  In fact I still have not entered a DTL competition simply because I would be worrying about putting the others off in some way and that is the truth.  I get more irritated by shooting DTL with people who don't appreciate the rhythms of the line, who hold up the flow and I'm not even a serious trap shooter!  
Don't be afraid of entering an event, just point out when you book on that'll be using a semi-auto. You'll be squadded with others using the same or else a slot will be found with others that are happy to have a semi-auto in the line. It may be worth you borrowing an O/U though, the heavier barrels make it a more suitable tool for slow trap disciplines like DTL.

To be fair to non trap shooters, I think it's difficult to appreciate just how competitive the game is. This isn't sporting that can be won with a score in the low to mid 90s, DTL shooters need a perfect score if they're to win anything and more often than not all it assures you is a place in the shoot-off. 

Perfection starts with knowing who you're shooting with, the gun they use, their technique and timing. That's why the big hitters always shoot together, they know what they're getting before they pull the trigger. A semi-auto on the line's just not conducive to a big score, that's one of the reasons why nobody who's serious about the game uses one.
I am more than aware of how Trappies are in relation to their dedication and concentration of their chosen discipline, which is why I will no longer shoot any form of Trap. I am afraid that life is too short to spend 6 days winding myself up to become a Victor Meldrew clone, just for the 'Sunday enjoyment' .(maybe not just for the Sunday ?). I just struggle to understand how an empty cartridge case falling to the floor at your feet can possibly disrupt your concentration. We all know that you should be looking out and away, in fact  ANYWHERE apart from your feet. I have yet to see an auto on a Trap layout that was ejecting cartridges any higher than an ankle and certainly have never witnessed these low flying cases that some Trap shooters obviously have. I would say that my Remmie was fitted with a small pin in the breech, which in turn, deflected the cases forward and down. I have shot with a club Remmie many times in America and their attitude towards auto's was impeccable. As to the guns handling, the Auto handles every bit as well as any O/U, their reliability is sometimes an issue, but having found a suitable cartridge, then stick with it. I certainly shot my fair share of winning scores with my auto, albeit they were mostly 50 birders back then, but auto's were more common too. I just can NOT accept that in this day and age of such Political Correctness, we are condoning such unjust bias against one of our own 'minority groups'. 

Don't be afraid of entering an event, just point out when you book on that'll be using a semi-auto. You'll be squadded with others using the same or else a slot will be found with others that are happy to have a semi-auto in the line. It may be worth you borrowing an O/U though, the heavier barrels make it a more suitable tool for slow trap disciplines like DTL.
I don't use an auto.  I have an O/U it's the thought that I may cough or accidentally disturb a shooter in some way that makes me wary.

This is a pic form the 70's, the 80's and early 90's were no different. There were loads of spent shells everywhere as people ejected them as god intended and they shot straights back then too. 

shooting.jpg

Perhaps trap shooters when they book in should advise that they stand there for 10 mins with gun on foot looking serious and twiddle their cartridges so they can all be put in the same squad. Prob is they would only get through 4 squads a day, and that's a lot for your average trap shoot.

Could you imagine Sporting shooters doing that with 150+ entries the norm.

This is a pic form the 70's, the 80's and early 90's were no different. There were loads of spent shells everywhere as people ejected them as god intended and they shot straights back then too.

View attachment 5281
Ah yes, those were the days !  You risked going base over apex just walking from 5 to 1, if you stood on an empty case (thrown there by an auto, I have no doubt). 32 grams of heat sealed crimp Winchester 100's.  Note the Trilby baseball cap, no 'man buns' then, hey ? Not a trace of Italian vest, more Harris Tweed. The only 'hoff' being the bugger hoff as soon as the pub opened. Mind you, I would be claiming a 'Baulk' about the white board on the banking..............................but only after I missed a bird !  Thanks for the trip down memory lane Hammie, it must have been a posh ground though, looking at the covered firing points !  Probably down South.

Back