Semi-Auto for Trap Shooting.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I particularly like the man pose of the guy waiting to shoot  :lol:  gun loaded and closed, pad being gently warmed up on his balls.

Ah yes, those were the days !  You risked going base over apex just walking from 5 to 1, if you stood on an empty case (thrown there by an auto, I have no doubt). 32 grams of heat sealed crimp Winchester 100's.  Note the Trilby baseball cap, no 'man buns' then, hey ? Not a trace of Italian vest, more Harris Tweed. The only 'hoff' being the bugger hoff as soon as the pub opened. Mind you, I would be claiming a 'Baulk' about the white board on the banking..............................but only after I missed a bird !  Thanks for the trip down memory lane Hammie, it must have been a posh ground though, looking at the covered firing points !  Probably down South.
agree down south as Westley and I had to make do with a 3x2 flag to stand on, no covers up north until the 90s.

agree down south as Westley and I had to make do with a 3x2 flag to stand on, no covers up north until the 90s.
I hope yours was the wobbly one. We do like to look after our Northern poor relations :smile: :smile: :smile:

Allow me to translate :-            'Oooop Nurrrth'

I particularly like the man pose of the guy waiting to shoot  :lol:  gun loaded and closed, pad being gently warmed up on his balls.
IT'S A BLOODY AUTO !!!!!!!

Have a look at the Bernardelli Mega Sporting.  It features an adjustable comb.

webber

Well, that's totally legal and common practice, especially in the old days when you could read a trap with incredible precision and 3 hole targets were the norm.  Nowadays, people still do that a bit, but with the interrupters that all of the new machines have, it's much more difficult.

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
The CPSA are a bit funny about that. They certainly told AGL regarding plastic wads at their registered that it's their ground, they can specify only fibre if they want to. So unless there is a rule saying a ground MUST allow autos I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm curious: a lot of people use autos because of health conditions. I know a few skeet shooters who have beautiful custom autos because they now have conditions like arthritis. What do trap shooters do to accommodate less than perfect health?
Mostly they whine about it.

For me the whole trap shooter mindset is bovine fecal material.  If one looks at pigeon shooting, a REALLY intense activity where losing one bird can cost the shooter thousands of $, you see the competitors dealing with an, not uncommonly, active crowd behind them.

What I mean is, trap shooters should grow a pair and dump the prima donna attitude.

AFAIC shooting an auto is not a sin.  I don't care for the lever thingie flapping around in front of my face and so I don't own one.

JMO of course

This is it Guy's and Gals !         I have been working on this for some time now and this prototype is nearing perfection. The final product will include a basket with a flat top, for cartridges. Supply is not a problem either, twice weekly there is a load of these in the doorway of the local Witherspoons around 12 noon. In fact that is where I got my prototype from ! So all of you dyed in the wood Trappies, no excuses for missing now , hey ?

View attachment 5284

Last edited by a moderator:
Like it, Like it, my good fellow this IS the way forward. Coupled with the range of accessories, like cartridge storage basket, cartridge tray, which will avoid too many cartridges in one pocket, thus affecting your swing. Drinks bottle holder fitted with windscreen washer tube, to avoid bending over in order to drink. Shooters microfibre handtowel, to suspend from basket or brake cable. It could also be adapted to have disc brakes, in case you are squaded with fast shooters. Sunglasses holder with pockets for up to SIX lens sets. Gun holster to take up to 34" barrels (just in case a certain 'gun tester' buys or tests one). A pocket on the front of the basket with a spare 'P' gun trigger group and springs. All of your used cases in one convenient receptacle.  You could even fit a perch to take yer pet parrot (if it will keep quiet during shooting) or a clip to take a dog lead. I ask you WHAT is not to like. I am now designing a small 12 volt speaker system with a bluetooth activated call of PAAAAAAUUUUUUULLLLLLL, operated by slight pressure on the forend of the gun. A long way to go with that one yet though, I need to download the required options from HA through to PAAAAAAUUUUUUULLLLLLL  ! So THIS is the future of Trap shooting, just remember where you saw it first.

I have hankered after a semi auto for some time now,  

Dont know why , something about the way the cartridges are loaded and cycled,  and its mechanical..

Last sunday i was offered the use of a newish Beretta  semi auto for a round on a local pool shoot 

Suffice to say it went badly.

The mecahical cycling of the thing as its in your cheek is odd to say the least,

with it ranging from a barely noticable thunk, to a full on clatter of mech parts moving 

Then after 6 cartridges it decided it wasnt  going to eject the first shell fully which meant i had to manually  remove the spent cartridge and fight the breech which was

trying to close all the time.

Suffice to say i abandoned its use after 8  cartridges..

Nice to look at, but not for me

:santa: x

Westley, while your cartridge catching net seems like a good idea in theory, I don't think you have really thought through the practical application of your 'solution'?

Your net would work, of course, if it was positioned corrrectly for a target travelling in one fixed direction, but taking in the width of the arc between the extreme left hand target to the extreme right hand target, clearly your net would not cover the arc of ejection that this would produce.

I see you have incorporated a wheel system for moving the net. This would be of limited use, except to push it to the Trap layout I feel, as the speed with which a "net pusher" would have to travel to catch each ejected case would reqiure lightning fast reactions, coupled with a very nimble practitioner. I would suggest a younger person of diminutive stature for this, but of course this puts in another variable as to whether you use a small fast person, or a long legged taller person to cover the ground most efficiently.

Then, of course there would have to be a certain debate on the clothing the net pusher would have to wear. "Safety yellow" would seem the obvious choice, but this would lead to a more visible presence in front of the fellow shooters and may cause a suitable distraction, as the pusher would be infront of the shooting line. I feel a more subdued colour would be an ideal choice, maybe a shade of 'Purple' as it is known to be pleasing on the eye and of a more neutral colour. I would also expect the shooter to wear a loose fitting pair of Jeans with the accompanying garish Training Shoes to enable them to move at speed.

Also, would each shooter have to provide his own 'pusher', would there only be one per layout or one each, and would the ground provide these staff or would the cost be borne by the shooter?

Of course, a bigger net would make this whole process easier and create less movement in front of the line, which I am sure would suit the dedicated Trap Shooting fraternity far better, so a few modifications may be required before your contraption goes into full production process.

Basically, a good idea and with a few "tweaks" I think could revolutionise Trap Shooting Worldwide.

I hope you have filed a patent for this as these ideas are sure to be snapped up and marketed in no time. In fact, I'm sure Alan Sugar has had something land on his desk already in this regard, so please ensure your design to protect your business interests.

Tricky business this Trap Shooting isn't it? So many choices, and so little time?   :smile:

or ....... Sack the ruddy auto and use a ou. , negates the need for net.... Job done

or ....... Sack the ruddy auto and use a ou. , negates the need for net.... Job done
You make it sound so easy Ips? Surely it's more complicated than that or it wouldn't be Trap??  :wink:

nah mate tis not trap that is complicated tis trap shooters that make it so.

Back