Slightly different topic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't. Not having a go at you Matt, but your scores are no where near good enough to make the GB FITASC squad, (at the moment, i.e., 22 points at Kegworth)you would have to raise your game (that's not to say you couldn't do it). 2k of your own cash will be enough to shoot the 4 GB qualifiers and some practice, just depends how much you'd want it...but I think your statement "...if you have the cash you will probably make the team..." is off the mark. If you've got the cash and the talent...then maybe...
You are spot on, we drove up on the Saturday, nearly 3 hours in the car, got there, had 30 mins to grab a coffee and then off shooting, ideally we would have come up the day before but we don't have limitless cash. The Hepworth Hall shoot was the same, drive for 2 1/2 hours, get to the ground and shoot the fitasc and compak (80 & 90 respectively), its not the way to do these shoots if you want to perform, well not when you are mid forties, in your twenties its probably not an issue.

All the england selection shoots were slightly better (except the first 2) was still getting back in to it then, lesson learned for next year.

So you are kind of right £2,000 would cover the GB selection shoots but would not cover the cost of suitable preparation in terms of practice or even lessons or cartridges, add in the compak and England selection shoots and £8k seems about spot on IMO.

Getting in to the team is not simply about funding the selection shoots, there is much more to it then that, this year was very interesting for me personally and I have learned a lot and will take what I have learned in to next years shoots, will it make a difference? I hope so, but who knows...

Ian breaks down roughly like this:

2 day shoot (150 targets)

Entry £102

Accomodation (2 nights) £80 and does not include ANY meals

Food £40 to £50 for 2 nights, breakfast and lunch at the ground

Cartridges £50

Fuel £70 on average

£390 to £400 would cover it

1 day shoot (100 targets)

Entry £67

Accomodation (1 night) £40 no meals

Food £25 to £35

Cartridges £35

Fuel £70

£225 to £250
Now the accountants has to have his few penneth ........... But are these all legitimate additional costs that you would incur?  If you didn't shoot these shoots you would probably be shooting somewhere else and wherever you are you have to eat so its not all an extra cost to do the selection shoots.  Additional accommodation and travel costs over and above normal are OK etc.

Target shooting is the same - its largely your own cost for both home and internationals unless you are on the Olympic programme and then the money is at a university student subsistence level.

I think if you want a team place these additional costs are legitimate and required, if I have an off day at a sunday morning shoot I can live with that, an off day at a selection shoot can mean you have no chance so there is more riding on it.

no disrespect to anybody but if you think money will get you a team place your half way to not getting one ,there are some well off and not so well off and some juniors who could and will shoot for the senior team
Do you honestly believe Peter Wilson would have achieved his feat without a serious amount of sponsorship, also I do speak to GB shooters, young upcoming shooters and even the best sporting shooter in the world and they all shoot far more then the average working man so to speak I also know some very wealthy people who are pants but to stay at the top you need time and lots of money...

Has anyone ever worked out how much it costs to do the selection shoots and the majors in a given discipline. I been doing em for years but am sacred to even think about it. BUT there is nothing i would rather do, after my wife and daughter i live for shooting. End of.
I did all the welsh sporting qualifiers this year eight shoots at around £100 a shoot including cartridges food fuel and entry. Didn't do any of the majors but have before. Cost again around a £100 per shoot. If your lucky enough to make the team then factor in another £1,000 for the stuff you have to buy e. g track suit , skeet vest, suit , hotel and travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
good point ian, but history will only mention those who were chosen, :biggrin: and not those who could not afford to, or not be bothered to!!! :fie:
exactly my point. If teams were picked on statistics and not on selections few of us would have the chance of a team place at country or possibly even county level. So matts point is valid to a degree.

You are spot on, we drove up on the Saturday, nearly 3 hours in the car, got there, had 30 mins to grab a coffee and then off shooting, ideally we would have come up the day before but we don't have limitless cash.

Getting in to the team is not simply about funding the selection shoots, there is much more to it then that, this year was very interesting for me personally and I have learned a lot and will take what I have learned in to next years shoots, will it make a difference? I hope so, but who knows...
Tell me all about it, I finished work at 6.45 on the Friday before Kegworth, left at 7pm, drove to Loughbourgh (5 hrs) checked in at 11.45, bed before 12...just in time for the church next door to chime 12 bells!?!? Rang on the hour every hour!!! Then the nightclub next to the church spilled out at 3am, still woke at 6am like every other day, you live and learn!

I seen you kicking about at Kegworth Matt, thought about saying hello, but you looked pissed off and 'angry'...MAD even ;-)

Sam green gamekeeper Mark Winsor chippy  Chris Childerhouse allround grafter ,like i said some have money some dont !

hah well I wasn't mad honest, in a bit of pain thanks to my GP telling me porkies! You should have said hello I don't bite, Kegworth was not a good weekend all round really, when we left the ground to go to our hotel (10.8 miles away) it took 90 mins to get to it. Why? Well we started going to Loughborough on the back raod, satnav suddenly said turn right towards the motorway. About 20 mins later I said, are we close yet and the front seat passenger said, another 26 miles!! At this point I got mildly curious and looked at the satnav, it had decided to take us back to Dorset! So we ended up doing 80 miles to get to the hotel!

But as I said earlier, a lot of lessons learnt this year and a lot to do differently next year

Sam green gamekeeper Mark Winsor chippy  Chris Childerhouse allround grafter ,like i said some have money some dont !
Oh dear you really don't want to go down this road, at least 2 of the above do not pay for their guns, cartridges or in some cases entry fee, at least one of them does not do his original trade and now earns his money in a shooting related capacity. While there will be 'some' shooters who are not minted but can still make the team, they are the exception and not the rule.

Can't remember total costs but I only had to stay over once (st dials) did Westfield (badly) driving back and forth each day, and did Hepworth at same time as compak so let's say £350 ish entries? £150 diesel, £50 overnight stay, £100 shells, £50 for bananas and bottled water :) £700 for the badge. Not cheap but worth it to tick off the list.

FItASC targets in this country (westfields and Hepworth in particular) I love, take some shooting. Portugal, Spain etc etc not so much for me. Pretty much miss and out. As I say, not my bag so plan to leave them well alone.

Horses for courses and all that. Success can be done on a limited budget if the skills and desire are there. Having said that I plan to break from my tradition next year and try and put some volume through the gun see if I can't get a couple more big ones before I'm too fat and old.

Its an expensive game thats for sure but what can you do i love it :)

Well I am going for common wealth games selection for the isle of man in OT , and over the last 3 years going to selection shoots jn the UK and training and wot not, I am into it for about £12, 000 so far I'd say, I was picked to attend the Kelly Holmes sports courses but just couldnt afford the time of work being self employed , I think that this will be last time I will attempt something like this as it is bleeding me dry quite frankly

IMO, If its not the proudes sporting acjievement you can have then don't bother doing it! Be proud and if you've earned vest wear it with pride! Totally agree with Ed on the way FITASC is going, I enjoy shooting full stop, soft shoot or hard shoot, but there should be a noticable difference between sporting, compak, fitasc sporting or whats the point?

Yeap....always be proud to wear the badge 'you' have won.....anytime.....and hope that they will stop allowing any Tom Dick or Harriet wear the kit that they have not actually won through selection.

The watering down of our proudest moments does not sit well with me. 

I still cannot get my head around why anyone would want to ponce around in team kit with out earning it first,

This is one thing I COMPLETELY agree with...  never should be allowed to wear team kit unless you've been selected. 

Does that also mean, rather over weight people in Man U shirts, when they clearly can't see balls of any kind, cos that irritates me too

Absolutely - when I'm Prime Minister that will be my first act... it denegrates my beloved team/national team whenever I see a fat, unfit bloke wearing the shirt...

This is one thing I COMPLETELY agree with...  never should be allowed to wear team kit unless you've been selected. 
I have always agreed with official team managers wearing the kit.....but this new rubbish of team official is just stupid.

You would not find any team manager worth their salt poncing around in official kit at a shooting ground mid week....just because they are on British Shooting so called business.....I think if they need to be distinguished in some way for 'honoured guests or 'whatever' then get bloody british shooting to get them some kit labelled up.....'British Shooting - very important person - team official - or whatever - add title below' and supply a black marker pen and leave them to it.

Ha.

My view for what it is worth.....it is a FARCE....!! 

Back