The future is,

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Hardly a week goes by without me receiving some SM about “the future of shooting” and its main theme is to invest ( spend heavily) on the youth of today. Can’t say I feel that’s where the long term viability of all shooting is, in my view it’s economics, this is an expensive hobby and it’s continuing influx of predominantly male participants of a certain age ( and disposable income) will always be the bulk of the new entrants. It’s been quite a pleasant revelation to see the uptake in numbers of ladies,  and yes most are a far better shot than I and indeed many others, the cold statistic is, male numbers do and will continue to dominate the sport. No I don’t have a ground nor a vested interest in any, if my money was at risk I’d be cautious and be targeting my core market. The young will have a mountain of opportunities, distractions & general getting on with life to worry too much about spending hours in muddy fields. 

I didn’t start shooting until I was in my mid 30s, buying my first house meant funds were very low and other things demanded my attention ( women ). Now I’m in my late 60s and relatively well off, shooting has for me really taken off.

Todays youngsters do have it tough unless they are bankrolled by mum and dad.

We need to get as many people into this wonderful sport as we can.

My young grandson shoots occasionally with me, bank of grandad 😊 however the challenge is getting him away from his playstation which i fear will be the only type of shooting most youngsters will know. He also likes to go fishing.

Credit where it’s due local clay grounds do offers a discount for under sixteen years.

My young grandson shoots occasionally with me, bank of grandad 😊 however the challenge is getting him away from his playstation which i fear will be the only type of shooting most youngsters will know. He also likes to go fishing.

Credit where it’s due local clay grounds do offers a discount for under sixteen years.
Unfortunately the computer games are here to stay! I’ve taken my grandsons shooting, but it just didn’t do it for them. 
Each to his own I guess! 
As for the future of shooting in this country? Well I honestly believe we’ve already seen the best days, given the political climate as regards to shooting, I really cannot see droves of people wanting to invest in shooting grounds, gun shops or even guns for that matter. 
Ok this is nothing new and certain parts of the country do seem to fare better than others. 
We have been under pressure from many angles for decades, it won’t change anytime soon. 

Unfortunately the computer games are here to stay! I’ve taken my grandsons shooting, but it just didn’t do it for them. 
Each to his own I guess! 
As for the future of shooting in this country? Well I honestly believe we’ve already seen the best days, given the political climate as regards to shooting, I really cannot see droves of people wanting to invest in shooting grounds, gun shops or even guns for that matter. 
Ok this is nothing new and certain parts of the country do seem to fare better than others. 
We have been under pressure from many angles for decades, it won’t change anytime soon. 

Sadly Les, I can only agree.  I have an old Winchester 101 that we have refurbed the stock for my son in law to use on occasion and he is going for a shotgun ticket but I am in doubt how he will go on, not because of any previous issues but simply because it is now becomming difficult to get the grant in the first place.

Sadly Les, I can only agree.  I have an old Winchester 101 that we have refurbed the stock for my son in law to use on occasion and he is going for a shotgun ticket but I am in doubt how he will go on, not because of any previous issues but simply because it is now becomming difficult to get the grant in the first place.
I had awful problems getting renewals etc, it’s a nightmare. 
A mate of mine had his guns removed by plod! 
Why? In a nutshell, he had a bad accident at work and couldn’t work for almost a year. So he was pretty hacked off obviously! 
So when he came to renew, the quack said he’d been on antidepressants, end of shooting! But they still have his guns!!! The guy is not a manic, he was no threat to anyone or himself, but goodbye guns! 

I'm not so sure about it being computer games, licence grants or the cost being too much of a threat. Kids have always had other interests that come and go. Relative cost fluctuate. It was just as expensive as it is now in the 70's and mid 80's as it is now and I don't really see much of a change in the age distribution of those at grounds. In fact there's possibly more young people now than then. From memory I don't recall there being many of us in our teens and early 20's then.  Licencing will hopefully be sorted when the proper resources are allowed just as general policing etc will improve once they are properly funded.

To me the big challenge is suburban sprawl and noise complaints from the hipster and general do gooder types that rather than remain living in a perfecly good place near a town or city decide it's cool and give them some sort of status boost by moving. Many of which seem to be sensitive to an Ant fart at 3 miles. But that's also a challenge to lots of other activities too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had awful problems getting renewals etc, it’s a nightmare. 
A mate of mine had his guns removed by plod! 
Why? In a nutshell, he had a bad accident at work and couldn’t work for almost a year. So he was pretty hacked off obviously! 
So when he came to renew, the quack said he’d been on antidepressants, end of shooting! But they still have his guns!!! The guy is not a manic, he was no threat to anyone or himself, but goodbye guns! 
I know a few people who were treated for depression at some time in their life who have shotgun certificates and firearm certificates  . Depression on a medical record  is not necessarily a bar to holding a certificate  and it’s  better that he sought treatment than hid it . It depends how badly he wants to shoot and how much he is prepared to spend to get an assessment of his current health  to challenge the revocation . From the FEO point of view I suppose that there are a number of applicant’s life events that prompt them to query suitability  . To some extent they are damned if they don’t and damned if they do . 

Has your friend done anything to challenge the refusal ? 

I know a few people who were treated for depression at some time in their life who have shotgun certificates and firearm certificates  . Depression on a medical record  is not necessarily a bar to holding a certificate  and it’s  better that he sought treatment than hid it . It depends how badly he wants to shoot and how much he is prepared to spend to get an assessment of his current health  to challenge the revocation . From the FEO point of view I suppose that there are a number of applicant’s life events that prompt them to query suitability  . To some extent they are damned if they don’t and damned if they do . 

Has your friend done anything to challenge the refusal ? 
He’s had to re apply for his ticket, but no guarantee he will get it apparently. 

I suppose it will depend if he's off anti depressants and for how long, especially as there will a Doctors note required.

I suppose it will depend if he's off anti depressants and for how long, especially as there will a Doctors note required.
Well I find it rather ott to be honest. No history of mental illness or history of violence. Getting injured and not being able to work for a long time is enough to make anyone hacked off. 
He’s a pretty normal guy in his late 50’s, a doctor of engineering actually, he builds satellites, so not the usual criminal or nutter type. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I find it rather ott to be honest. No history of mental illness or history of violence. Getting injured and not being able to work for a long time is enough to make anyone hacked off. 
He’s a pretty normal guy in his late 50’s, a doctor of engineering actually, he builds satellites, so not the usual criminal or nutter type. 
Unfortunately most are normal until 'one day'. Statistics play a big part, don't forget it's not about what someone may do to others, but what they can also do to themselves when they have/may have depression. 

Back