Shotgun cleaning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hi folks, can I have recommendations on comprehensive cleaning set ups / kits.

I am one of those that finds tasks like this therapeutic and I'm keen to do it right. I'm drawn towards the Napier kit, has anyone used it? I'm interested in their ultra clean roll where it seems to be a patch and mop in one.

After watching a lot of videos I am leaning towards using a grease for the high wear areas. Following Lloyd's advice I don't want to use the Bisley stuff as it's already black so hard to see when it goes from lubricant to rubbing compound.

Also, is it worth giving a brand new gun a deep clean before using as mine seems to have A LOT of extra grease smeared all over, which I assume is to protect it whilst it's sitting on a rack in a gunshop?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated. 

i still recommend the Magic Bore stuff made by Mike and Cheryl, its never missed anything in my barrels

My cleaning kit comprises of a 10mm dia alloy rod, bronze brush, kitchen roll and spray bore cleaner, grease is normal bearing grease, oil free with all berettas, and an oily rag, i just spray cleaner down the bore, leave it while I clean my ear plugs then use the bronze brush followed by a square of kitchen paper, oily rag over outside of the barrel and back in the cabinet 👍

After cleaning put the shotgun barrel down in the cabinet is the best advice I was given

As above really. Napier spray on metal parts and down the barrels. Top tip is push some paper down barrel twice BEFORE you use a brush. Reduces spread of muck massively. (I rarely use a brush, Napier and paper, then a jag with Napier cleaning paper is enough most times). 

I use a wooden coffee stirrer, cut to a sharp point, to push some paper round all the little places to remove old grease around ejectors and barrel hinge points. 

Clean the breech face every time then smear a little oil on it, to protect it from dirt building up during shooting. 

Grease all rubbing areas, but clean it off and replace at least every 300 shots. 

That’s basically it for routine cleaning. 

Don’t forget to take the chokes out and clean the threads and barrel threads . You can often start unscrewing the tubes with the phosphor bronze brush anyway . I’m also particular about popping the ejectors out once in a while and cleaning and lubricating the dovetail slots they ride in .  
I’ve probably got more oils and grease than Halfords , I’m a mug for trying anything new . 
The one outstanding spray I’ve tried recently is ProFerrum , I keep a small tin in my car to spray the gun and give it a wipe if it’s got wet .  I’m using it for cleaning the barrels now It’s really good for lifting any fouling .  

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back