Some cleaning questions.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

It would not be embarrasing at all .

As an apprenticed and trained Gunsmith , I was taught about screw threads and turnscrews .

For unskilled , especially Americans who frequent , Doublegunshop.com, Shotgunworld , Trapshooters.com just remember this :- Righty, righty  to make tighty, Lefty , lefty makes it loosy.

Left unattended they can tend to 'grow' tight in there.

Maybe all the manufacturers should follow Krieghoff's lead and insist on 'annuals' or 25K services?

Can a Perazzi reach one year or 25k without a stock cracking, rib falling off or trigger breakage? :eek:

Charlie,

As an apprenticed and trained Gunsmith , I was taught about screw threads and turnscrews .

For unskilled , especially Americans who frequent , Doublegunshop.com, Shotgunworld , Trapshooters.com just remember this :- Righty, righty  to make tighty, Lefty , lefty makes it loosy.

Maybe all the manufacturers should follow Krieghoff's lead and insist on 'annuals' or 25K services?

Can a Perazzi reach one year or 25k without a stock cracking, rib falling off or trigger breakage? :eek:
Well my one has had the same hammer springs in for coming on two years now and probably 20k without mishap the stock is still in excellent condition and the gun is 27 years old and is in, for a competition target gun amazing totally original condition . I am under no illusions though I have a new set of trigger springs with me at all times, a spare trigger unit would be the ideal but I am not going to spend a lot of money on something which is likely needed so infrequently. I have had my gun now for four years and it broke a spring after the first two years... but wait the gun was bought second hand and I have no idea how many shots it had fired. Now this is the part you will have to believe me and the previous owner but I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve what he told me. Although the gun had not been used for more than tens years he had bought the gun new. I ,as part of my checks on the gun, wanted to make sure the serial numbers all matched up. So I took the fore end off and checked the number matched the ones on the barrels, the receiver and all the timber which it did. I then wanted to check the trigger unit so asked him to remove it only to be told that in all the time he had had it he had never removed it !!!!! I said I wanted to check it ... he asked how to get it out? I said just to push the safety forward and pull down the trigger unit. Easier said than done it was so gummed up with old oil that is took us more than half an hour and a lot of releasing fluid to get it out! He bought the gun in 1990 I bought it in 2014 and he had not used it for ten years so it had used the same springs for about 13 years before I bought it and I then used it for almost two years before the bottom barrel hammer spring broke. I still have to say I don't know how many shells it had fired but I actually met someone at a comp and told him I had bought the gun from someone at the same club as him. It turned but he knew the guy well and told me they had shot quite a lot together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie,

Fortunately for me Perazzis have  so few screws that I don't have to remember that.  And of course I actually take care of my guns properly.  With a conservative 10K/year targets and more a few years ago for over 20 yrs I've not cracked a stock yet.  No rib problems.  I have however had one firing pin break and one hammer spring.  Currently shooting +/- 300 a week so I suppose it could all turn any time now since the newest one is pushing 35 years old.  I don't think I'm gonna worry about it too much tho.

Thanks Gentlemen for your protective replies.

As Charlie well knows I was baiting .

I am sick to death of people having a pop at Miroku / Browning firing pins .

Personally I think that most guns and cartridges are far better at what they are designed to do  than the shotgun owners.

Miroku 3800 and MK38 have possibly produced more champions in the UK than any other gun , but their value for money is never appreciated .

You buy them and use them , never have to have them annually or 25,000 firings Serviced , they just go on and on until such time as you get a light strike on the bottom barrel .

This is usually caused by a build up of unburnt powder/ carbon/oil residue on the firing pin and in the firing pin bore , cleaning both often rectifies the fail to fire .

Vehicle cart springs (leaf) often broke but was no big deal , just replace them. Modern coil sprung vehicles rarely break a spring. Do you notice a trend?

Each to their own buy what you want , shoot what you want and undoubtedly we will always get brand loyalty.

"Modern coil sprung vehicles rarely break a spring."

Would have to disagree there...since they started putting a thinner tail on the spring of cars it is a regular MOT failure as they snap off.

The van i have just sold had 2 in 5 years and i regularly see them through my work,it was my spare/tip van which had little use..

Older constant wire diameter coil springs,almost never.

Sal - 

of course hahaha  And you are right about the maintenance too.  Seems as tho too few shooters bother and treat their guns like some borrowed car.  A clean gun is a happy gun and mine are always joyful    :wink:  

A clean gun is a happy gun and mine are always joyful    :wink:  

I wonder about you at times Wonko :angel:

d

Thanks Gentlemen for your protective replies.

As Charlie well knows I was baiting .

I am sick to death of people having a pop at Miroku / Browning firing pins .

Personally I think that most guns and cartridges are far better at what they are designed to do  than the shotgun owners.

Miroku 3800 and MK38 have possibly produced more champions in the UK than any other gun , but their value for money is never appreciated .

You buy them and use them , never have to have them annually or 25,000 firings Serviced , they just go on and on until such time as you get a light strike on the bottom barrel .

This is usually caused by a build up of unburnt powder/ carbon/oil residue on the firing pin and in the firing pin bore , cleaning both often rectifies the fail to fire .

Vehicle cart springs (leaf) often broke but was no big deal , just replace them. Modern coil sprung vehicles rarely break a spring. Do you notice a trend?

Each to their own buy what you want , shoot what you want and undoubtedly we will always get brand loyalty.
il start by saying i love Mirokus . i have a Mk38 at the moment which im in the process of changing but its not because i dont like the miroku i do .

however i disagree that there is no problem with the pins and springs and yes i cleaned the pins the mechanism  so it wasnt that . i had to change the pins and springs on mine a few months ago and in the last year i know a total of 3 other shooters that had to do the same 2 had miroku mk38s and the other a browning so either its a complete freak of nature that of the only people i know myself included that had to change pins and springs had browning / miroku or there is a problem . 

That said i got a kit from JNP gun springs in the US see here https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php#!/MIROKU-MK10-MK38-AND-MK-70-12-GAUGE-FIRING-PIN-AND-SPRING-KIT/p/72243156/category=20995174

and since i did that the gun is 100% no more misfires and the gun feels like new after it  . highly recommended for anyone with a miroku/browning.

gun should easily be good for another 100k rounds now :)  

Back