Gun cleaning spray

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank-you Hamster, that doesn't sound too bad a cleaning regime. I usually come home from a shoot pretty shattered so don't want to spend ages cleaning but at the same time don't want to neglect it either. Also I've been surprised at how dirty a white tissue can come out of a spotless looking barrel.
I forgot to add I will then also remove the chokes, clean them, lightly spray them with the same oil and then shove a rag into the barrel thread area using an old toothbrush and get that all cleaned up too. I don't bother with oiling the threads themselves relying on the "wet" chokes to do that. 

I use Muller chokes so they come out pretty easily and now I'll copy what you do prob. every other shoot.  Thanks.

I forgot to add I will then also remove the chokes, clean them, lightly spray them with the same oil and then shove a rag into the barrel thread area using an old toothbrush and get that all cleaned up too. I don't bother with oiling the threads themselves relying on the "wet" chokes to do that. 
I clean the choke threads much the same way.  I don't spend any time twirling chokes and seldom change whatever it is that I have in the gun so I grease them up with a lovely red grease that I don't even remember what is called since I've had it for so long and use it for nothing else.  I suspect that it is lithium based but no bets.  Oil is prolly OK too for the conscientious gun maintainer, tho I just feel better somehow with the grease.

I use Muller chokes so they come out pretty easily and now I'll copy what you do prob. every other shoot.  Thanks.
usually remove themselves when the trigger is pulled  :angel:

I clean the choke threads much the same way.  I don't spend any time twirling chokes and seldom change whatever it is that I have in the gun so I grease them up with a lovely red grease that I don't even remember what is called since I've had it for so long and use it for nothing else.  I suspect that it is lithium based but no bets.  Oil is prolly OK too for the conscientious gun maintainer, tho I just feel better somehow with the grease.
Red is usually rubber grease.....at least here.

Lithium based greases have always been grey in my experience.

Sounds like the grease is the same as the stuff that I have. made by Lucas (in USA). Their gun oil (also red) is great, a really 'stay put' gun oil, that I use on the chokes and ejectors. I believe the grease was made for marine use and the gun oil for machine guns !  Either way VERY reasonably priced and brilliant products.

Sounds like the grease is the same as the stuff that I have. made by Lucas (in USA). Their gun oil (also red) is great, a really 'stay put' gun oil, that I use on the chokes and ejectors. I believe the grease was made for marine use and the gun oil for machine guns !  Either way VERY reasonably priced and brilliant products.
Could be.  For me it is a mystery whose answer is lost in time.

This the stuff

10574_RedNTacky_800x950.jpg

Yep, that's it.  I bought a tub that size for £6 over 2 years ago. I have supplied most of my shooting pals and still have enough left for the next 10 years or so. I only use it on the knuckle of my guns, I use their oil for the chokes and engine oil on the metalwork. I have never had a stuck choke and there is no rust on any of my guns.

my gun seems a git to get the barrel clean ,best thing I use is eds red . mix it yourself from off the shelf stuff works great fro me ,best thing for chokes in my opinion is copper slip  you can leave chokes in forever and they still come out easilly

I pay £15 for two huge 750ml cans and they last more than a couple of years, hardly an extravagance or expensive. 
£15? Yikes. I get the used oil from my local chippy for nowt. Works like a charm as the little bits of batter create an abrasion that attacks plastic and lead fouling. The only downside is I get hungry shooting as always thinking of fish and chips.

On a serious note I also use Napier as the big cans last forever. Where do you get 2 for £15 as I am low and prices seem to be £10-12 per can locally?

I have a DT11 which is back bored and thus the barrels get dirtier especially when using fibres. I use a magicbore as its very quick. It’s still a miniscule percentage of other shooting related costs ie gun / cartridges / entry fees / fuel.

Back