Surface rusting on action.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought........ if the metal parts of the gun are still somewhat colder than the ambient temperature in the gunsafe/roo, then condensation will form on the metal when you put the gun away. 

Obviously I don't know your routine, but on cooler days if you get home, clean the gun in the garage or somewhere cool and pop it straight into the warmer cabinet? If this is the case, then it's possible it might help to allow the gun to reach ambient temp, then wrap it as you've said, before putting it away.  

Just a thought........ if the metal parts of the gun are still somewhat colder than the ambient temperature in the gunsafe/roo, then condensation will form on the metal when you put the gun away. 

Obviously I don't know your routine, but on cooler days if you get home, clean the gun in the garage or somewhere cool and pop it straight into the warmer cabinet? If this is the case, then it's possible it might help to allow the gun to reach ambient temp, then wrap it as you've said, before putting it away.  
Thanks bud. 

Yeh I clean it in the kitchen, I reckon it's on the house for an hour before it goes in the safe. 

When I pulled it out on mo day to go shooting the surface rust was back... 

Only been 2 weeks since last use. An Di give my gun a coating of oil to help reduce the chances... 

Here's a couple of pics. It's not too bad here, but still there. I cleaned this off, oiled and stored away, will see how it is when I go shooting next... 

IMG_20191104_154202_0.jpg

IMG_20191104_154119_7.jpg

I know it is no consolation, but the 3800 was renowned for rusting. The 'club' gun that I once had, would have light surface rust on it by the time I got back home from the shooting ground, some 30 minutes away. 0000 grade steel wool and 3 in 1 oil usually did the job of cleaning though.

It’s fair to say you’ve ruled out the cleaning, protection  and the environment . That leaves the only factor to be the action itself .? It looks it in the photo as if it’s plated or some other finish. If it is, the” finish”   , may  have been applied over surface rust and it’s working through now . Or the surface coating has worn away exposing the steel forging   On the other hand I might be talking bollocks ...  you could  try a synthetic oil with a bit more “tech “ than Bisley , for creeping into the faults,  Break Out  CLP or Tetragun , or a spray with ACF 50 .

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s fair to say you’ve ruled out the cleaning, protection  and the environment . That leaves the only factor to be the action itself .? It looks it in the photo as if it’s plated or some other finish. If it is, the” finish”   , may  have been applied over surface rust and it’s working through now . Or the surface coating has worn away exposing the steel forging   On the other hand I might be talking bollocks ...  you could  try a synthetic oil with a bit more “tech “ than Bisley , for creeping into the faults,  Break Out  CLP or Tetragun , or a spray with ACF 50 .
ACF-50 is my choice. works very nicely on guns, cars, planes and boats! :)  

Back