Surface rusting on action.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once put a dismantled Miroku  under the bottom drawer of a  built In dresser in a Texas hotel room (hidden  for safety ) , I’d been using it all day at a NSCA competition at San Antonio . In the morning the barrel bluing  was speckled with rust . Whatever the issue was I was staggered as I treated that gun with kid gloves , I suspect it might have been having the air conditioning running full tilt and condensing on the metal  . The “ rust “ was quickly removed with oil and a “non stick pan”  scrub . I traded the gun shortly after , with no comment from the dealer . 

Screwfix is a good source for the wire wool Westley Suggests

https://www.screwfix.com/p/liberon-grade-0000-steel-wool-74-x-225mm/5196f
That's the stuff, thanks.  W.

I once put a dismantled Miroku  under the bottom drawer of a  built In dresser in a Texas hotel room (hidden  for safety ) , I’d been using it all day at a NSCA competition at San Antonio . In the morning the barrel bluing  was speckled with rust . Whatever the issue was I was staggered as I treated that gun with kid gloves , I suspect it might have been having the air conditioning running full tilt and condensing on the metal  . The “ rust “ was quickly removed with oil and a “non stick pan”  scrub . I traded the gun shortly after , with no comment from the dealer . 

Screwfix is a good source for the wire wool Westley Suggests

https://www.screwfix.com/p/liberon-grade-0000-steel-wool-74-x-225mm/5196f
Could have been the timber itself. Oak for example contains tannic acid and will reduce a chastity belt to a pile of rust at 1,000 paces

Back on Topic , I’ve had two piss wet through guns to clean tonight . My lad  was using the K80 on the “beagles fund raiser”  and me the Mk38  . Stock off for both,  as it really was Monsoon season up on the moors today . Why , oh why,  do Miroku insist on using a slot head stock  bolt ? .

For those that are interested the working bits of a Jap built Miroku  / Browning action , and a West German ( that dates it doesn’t it ) K80 dural action . 

2637C841-EEA9-40DB-A344-92D9A0440869.jpeg

661EBB04-45C4-4A1E-B191-1919B0DC070C.jpeg

Just Yorkshire vernacular, I’ve become WOKE and longer use the phrase “ Like a Tart’s handbag “ as it is now  considered disrespectful to actual carriers of that baggage  ......  whereas casting unfounded aspersions on European establishments  , is actually sanctioned by both our Prime Minister and your President !!
So fortunately for me I've not tarted up anything recently.  Ok - that's a lie - I did unnecessarily change some cable housing on a bicycle just for the color.  Shameful I know

I'm afraid that I'd find actions recommended by either your PM or the pres here (not mine I assure you) would likely be beyond distasteful AFAIC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on Topic , I’ve had two piss wet through guns to clean tonight . My lad  was using the K80 on the “beagles fund raiser”  and me the Mk38  . Stock off for both,  as it really was Monsoon season up on the moors today . Why , oh why,  do Miroku insist on using a slot head stock  bolt ? .

For those that are interested the working bits of a Jap built Miroku  / Browning action , and a West German ( that dates it doesn’t it ) K80 dural action . 

View attachment 7888

View attachment 7889
The best way to dry and clean a wet gun is this way

I had a Miroku which had am allen headed bolt.
I’d like to find find a couple for my Mirokus  ( or get some turned down from a larger diameter socket head screw)  . I’m pretty sure that a lot of stocks splitting through the hand are due to the stock bolt not being “ just so tight “ . I’ve always tightened to a stop then  a 1/4 to 1/3 extra . I’m just a little uncomfortable doing that with a BFO screwdriver . 🤔

Condensation is your problem and the only way I can think of stopping that is to put your gun in an oil impregnated sock type thing. This should stop the warm wet air reaching the cold gun, of course do make sure that the gun is properly dried and cleaned before putting it away in the sock, I keep my gun in the bags provided by Perazzi in its hard carrying case behind my sofa so I never have that problem. Warm wet air will percolate through into a gun cabinet though. Regarding your house you have done the wrong things in many ways the house needs to breathe you are keeping the warm air inside with no way out ... get the windows open on every decent day and let the house breathe ! I live in a house with walls 500 mm thick made of mud and stones rendered with lime mortar built about two hundred odd years back and dampness is only a problem when you start to do the things you have done. Yes re rendering is good if it is a breathable type and you do not have the cavity filled with non breathing insulation. I know that we perhaps don't get quite the cold weather you do in the UK but we get plenty of wet air and rain ... how do we keep dampness at bay... wood fried stove and cooker and plenty of ventilation!
Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned in my post, I do keep my gun in a treated sock, and as mentioned the gun is cleaned and dry before its put away(every time). Not sure where you got the info about my house being done wrong .. The coating is a breathable moisture repellent coating. The walls are single skin, and yes, we have the windows open at every available opportunity - only closing them when out the house or in bed. Thanks for your reply though.

Buy yourself a couple of these and put them in your cabinet. Store your gun well oiled with the barrels down in a clean dry gun slip in the cabinet. This has worked for me for many years. 

View attachment 7872
., again, as stated in my OP, I have a vp90 in the safe. Thanks though.

The VCI is a must in my opinion. Also try coating the metal surfaces in lanolin. Some mineral oils are able to absorb and hold water. Lithium based grease also do this. PTFE based is less susceptible 
VCI?

Google search didn't prove to helpful

Just a tip . get a few pieces of  old flannel bedsheet or such ,  use it to wipe off the excess on the barrel and action after spraying with something ( I like Legia Spray as it’s wood friendly )and also use it on excess grease   . Don’t throw the rag away , keep it in a ziplock bag . After dozens of cleanings with it , when it’s soaked up countless oils and greases you have a perfect “ oily rag “  which will be just right for a pre storage wipe over .  A good oily rag lasts for years and takes some beating . 

I run a small domestic dehumidifier in our house over the winter months ,  you should see what it pull out of the atmosphere ! 
Heya chap.

Thanks for the input. My bisley kit came with a rag, that I wipe my gun down with.

Come winter time we have 2 electronic dehumidifiers that we run, one in the room, and one in the hall. Your right, amazing what they pull out the air.

It's just a thot but you may want to consider relocating to an area that is more amenable to persons with metal toys.  Right off the top I think that Arizona would be likely the sorta place you need.

there are dehumidifiers made for gun safes that are wonderfully effective as well.  I've no idea if those are available or functional in the UK

HTH

Charlie 
., Arizona would be fab. Haha.

Ill look into gun safe dehumidifiers, if its not the VP90 sachet I already have.

You say known to have a damp issue, it's not in a cellar by any chance.
No chap, not in a cellar - id love to have one of those!!

The Home base and B and Q  things are very good . I got a bundle of 3 for less than 2 quid last week , one is going going in the cabinet along with a new Napier sachet sometime over the weekend .  Obviously Adam uses these ,  but  an extra in the cabinet won’t go amiss . They are calcium chloride rather than silica gel . The added extra is that I got  rose perfumed ones,  the gun cabinet smells like a Parisian knocking shop ....

View attachment 7873
This is what I have 4 of in the area where my safe is.. All due for renewal soon.

Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned in my post, I do keep my gun in a treated sock, and as mentioned the gun is cleaned and dry before its put away(every time). Not sure where you got the info about my house being done wrong .. The coating is a breathable moisture repellent coating. The walls are single skin, and yes, we have the windows open at every available opportunity - only closing them when out the house or in bed. Thanks for your reply though.
Strange that you are having problems with dampness then? I was just commenting on the normal reasons for a house being damp BTW not an actual comment or criticism on your actual house because the normal reasons for having dampness are the points I highlighted. Is it just the room you keep your gun in that has the dampness issue? I so a relocation may be your best bet. of course if possible. Another way of avoiding the dampness would of course be to isolate the gun from the room... stick a huge poly bag over the gun, if the gun is completely dry and oiled  before hand that would do the job?

Are you on any medication that may have changed your body chemistry, I have a shooting friend that is nicknamed rusty and no one let's him touch their gun. Only man I know who could turn his own Box of SnapOn spanners rusty overnight. I hope you find a cure.

Just a tip . get a few pieces of  old flannel bedsheet or such ,  use it to wipe off the excess on the barrel and action after spraying with something ( I like Legia Spray as it’s wood friendly )and also use it on excess grease   . Don’t throw the rag away , keep it in a ziplock bag . After dozens of cleanings with it , when it’s soaked up countless oils and greases you have a perfect “ oily rag “  which will be just right for a pre storage wipe over .  A good oily rag lasts for years and takes some beating . 

I run a small domestic dehumidifier in our house over the winter months ,  you should see what it pull out of the atmosphere ! 
My oily rag is now over 30yrs old 👍

Thank you buddy.

Are you on any medication that may have changed your body chemistry, I have a shooting friend that is nicknamed rusty and no one let's him touch their gun. Only man I know who could turn his own Box of SnapOn spanners rusty overnight. I hope you find a cure.
I am on meds ., ill check with my bone DR . .

Just remember to keep your oily rag in a tin with the lid on
I keep my cleaning kit completely separate to my gun. Thanks though.

The oily rag in a tin is because they can have a habit of spontaneously combusting if just left in a cupboard/bunched up on a shelf.

Sealed in a tin keeps the oxygen away and can prevent this

Interesting, I remember finding a smoking rag in my Dad's garage many years ago, I never understood why. Lucky I found it when I did.

BTW I think moving to Arizona an attractive solution to the problem - if a trifle radical.

Back