OT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FAO DT

Mike at sw2000 has allegedly said he will not be holding any more registered OT comps. He will keep one OT layout for practice, the others will have traps removed and be used for other disciplines. How true this is I don't know. There are also rumours that 1 or 2 layouts may be removed to make way for wind turbines. Hope it is only rumours. Would be another big loss to the sport. Excellent facility.
Blimey!! another nail in the OT coffin. Maybe we should call it NO.T? Whats Newbie going to do now?

Who would have thought that renewable energy would be death of an Olympic sport?

If anyone reading this has ever wondered what OT is like to shoot then you had better get in quick!!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
I think travel is quite an issue these days, what with the cost of fuel. Also if the shoot is held over two days then one has to add the cost of accomodation and food as well, which of course adds further to the bill. Then we add the cost of shells and the entry fee, we are suddenly looking at a very costly weekend away!
partly the reason i am now sitting in my motorhome at the Kreighof. Main reason less than half the distance and 300 targets. Could be fun Havent seen a dtl target since Dec and only shot a couple of hundred in last 12 months :)

I will repeat though, this is only rumour, haven't been up there much lately so not heard it from the horses mouth. Mike is Italian, and therefore lives and breathes shooting, so there is hope yet.

I will repeat though, this is only rumour, haven't been up there much lately so not heard it from the horses mouth. Mike is Italian, and therefore lives and breathes shooting, so there is hope yet.
In that case my lips are sealed. Won't breathe a word of it to anyone else.

DT

Any sign of the rumoured trench layout at Mid-Wales Mr ips?

Only got here at 6 Mr T not had a walk yet but will endeavour to find out tomorow when i see Arthur. You driving down Fri ?

Very poorly mate its blowing a gale here. Hard work getting into dtl when you not shot it for a while. Tomorow will be better though i reckon. :)

Get ready for 3 x 125 OT shoots at Griffin Lloyd in Wales, all one day.

2 June 2013 - Griffin Lloyd - Welsh Selection Shoot
16 June 2013 - Griffin Lloyd - Welsh Selection Shoot
14 July 2013 - Griffin Lloyd - Welsh Selection Shoot

Thats more like it pity i am not Welsh

mr 40up

how about a full report on Bisley shoot did i miss anything. looking at scores Targets hard one assumes. ?

Thats more like it pity i am not Welsh
mr 40up
how about a full report on Bisley shoot did i miss anything. looking at scores Targets hard one assumes. ?
Couldn't point me in the direction of the results could you matey , cheers in advance

Weather good both competition days, targets quick with the varied Bisley background but changing light as clouds came and went. Some of our best shooters were seen to record 18s in conditions that couid easily have been worse as on Friday. Very few breakdown or no-birds, even a guy with a leaf-blower to clean the layouts and aprons each day. Scores that two years ago would not have made the final are now high-gunning the event so somehow targets are more challenging as the shooters are affected across the board.

Cheers

i wonder why this low scoring has occurred recently. Hard targets deliberately put on at all selections and major ot shoots ?

http://www.nsc-clays.co.uk/files/file/OT%20Selection%20Shoot%20Results%20Day%202%2025%2026%20may%202013.pdfAveraging 22 would put you in the final, at Southern Counties 4 x 21 + a 25 won the shoot.
Ta very much, hmm scores are low, interesting.

Hard targets deliberately put on at all selections and major ot shoots ?
Maybe you're right! Mind you, back last September/October I shot some practice OT targets at SC and they were the fastest things I ever shot at. I was talking to a guy over there who had been shooting OT since the 1960's and he was convinced that OT is far harder now than it was 10 years ago, I think he may have been right too, or maybe I'm just getting old Ian!

Very interesting article in Clay Shooter magazine this month (the free one found at grounds, dealers, etc) about the percentage of registered scores per discipline. Can't remember the exact numbers but Sporting way out in front with 43% of all comp targets shot, DTL second (as expected) with 19%. ABT and UT down at 3% and OT less than 2% of all comp targets shot. DT just about scraped in with about 1% I think? The average number of targets shot for the fast trap disciplines is also quite low (I thought) at about 350 targets per shooter, although I suspect this is somewhat diluted by lots trying it once only, evident by the fact that  there were 412 registered shooters in the issue of which only 268 shot more than 125 targets (single selection shoot or 100 bird comp).

Sooooo trap shooting (excluding DTL) really is a minority sport on these shores!!

Quick check on the CPSA website shows only 6 OT shooters in Staffordhsire registering scores in Issue 44.  Lots of other counties have even less while Hampshire, Dorset and Devon have three times the number of Staffordshire and Yorshire 40 ! Even Greater London has 27 registered scorers.

All the above have a major OT facility relatively close at hand so obviously the lack of facilities in some regions is whats holding it back.

DT

DT

Yes its very interesting reading those statistics. OT has always been a niche market but its suprising that ABT has fallen out of favour also. As we have eluded too previously ABT is now close to if not as hard as OT and lets face it we all want a fighting chance and people like to hit a good number of targets for there entry fee that is why DTL is popular as you can retain more consistency and shoot it week in week out without travelling huge distances for major disappointment. It has too be said also that as far as major shoots are concerned IMO the atmosphere of a 400+ entry at a DTL shoot takes some beating.

Yes DT, trap, except DTL, has always been a minority game in the UK. If the powers that be, (the governing bodies), keep making things harder all the time, there will be almost no trap shooters left in this country! As Ian (ips) has said, even ABT has been changed recently and is now harder than it was, this sort of thing is not going to encourage people to shoot the fast trap disciplines and decline is therefore inevitable, unless the powers that be get real and sort it out properly. ABT was never easy, but it was fun and the targets were at least hitable by a good deal of people. I shot some ferocious OT targets last week and I do have to wonder if OT really does have to be as quick as it is, to the point where some VERY good OT men are having trouble with it.  Do the governing bodies want to put even more people off shooting it or what? People seem to be walking away from OT in droves from what I've heard, in the long term it will mean fewer places to shoot it, because ground owners will not be able make money from OT layouts!

Latest posts

Back