Where do YOU stick yer finger ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has a way which they like. Watch all the best competitors and the finger will be on the trigger. 

View attachment 9244
I have no idea if this is true as I was never a sporting shooter but I have no reason to disbelieve you.....I no longer shoot clay I am only involved in game shooting so these days my safety protocol is all about "not shooting beaters in front" the thing is with ALL clay disciplines the safe area is in front so an accidental discharge due to bad muzzle awareness or bad (imo) finger position is probably not going to be fatal......however there is no argument whatsoever (imo) that on a game day one should have anything other than absolute 100% safe gun handling technique 🙄

I have no idea if this is true as I was never a sporting shooter but I have no reason to disbelieve you.....I no longer shoot clay I am only involved in game shooting so these days my safety protocol is all about "not shooting beaters in front" the thing is with ALL clay disciplines the safe area is in front so an accidental discharge due to bad muzzle awareness or bad (imo) finger position is probably not going to be fatal......however there is no argument whatsoever (imo) that on a game day one should have anything other than absolute 100% safe gun handling technique 🙄
Agree and that is knowing where your barrel is 

In the cage in the ready position my finger is on the trigger
And I would presume, so is everybody else's,mine included. I am talking in terms of the trigger finger position at times of general gun handling, opening or closing the gun or even, as is clearly displayed on some videos, evaluating a gun.

Sorry if this has caused confusion for some, but I did try to explain, even with the addition of the, what appears to be now, obligatory  'pics'  !

Last edited by a moderator:
And I would presume, so is everybody else's,mine included. I am talking in terms of the trigger finger position at times of general gun handling, opening or closing the gun or even, as is clearly displayed on some videos, evaluating a gun.

Sorry if this has caused confusion for some, but I did try to explain, even with the addition of the, what appears to be now, obligatory  'pics'  !
No problem, i was not sure where my finger was positioned so got gun out of cabinet to find out, as you say opening/closing/reloading finger not on trigger

Reactions: ips
Agree and that is knowing where your barrel is 
Totally 100% agree 👍..........And not having your finger on the trigger when it has no reason to be there......🤔

I have whilst loading on a game day unslipped a Guns gun that has been loaded with live cartridges. 
That is frightening. Was the offender send packing? That feels borderline illegal!

Game shooting. Gotta love it.. Plenty of mega shots with great gun handling; but also it’s a hiding place for the dangerous and talentless. Beware.  

AND  as if to prove a point.......and it wasn't a Game Shooter  !  A dose of 'frozen finger' meant that the first barrel had been fired, but the finger had not been fully released and the second barrel remained unfired. The gun was being lowered from the shoulder and BANG  !  Thankfully down range, then claimed it had been a 'hangfire'  ??   😄

Recent happening, but remaining anonymous  !

Game shooting. Gotta love it.. Plenty of mega shots with great gun handling; but also it’s a hiding place for the dangerous and talentless. Beware.  
Oh how I laughed when I found out the gun on the next peg up was on his first driven shoot , it was live on peg , seeing him with the gun in his shoulder soft mounted from the off , whilst everyone else was waiting with broken guns . I moved off peg and put a tree between us .  Think people exaggerate how far away they’ve shot a looping battue  … go on a game day to get some real over estimation  , normally by the bloke who tells you they never practice on a high tower ! 

Latest posts

Back