Where do YOU stick yer finger ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When regularly Reffing DTL I was appalled by the number of shooters who do put their finger on the trigger when opening and closing a gun. They were the er.....lower scorers admittedly, but I did witness the occasional 'mole hunter', thankfully always down range. 

The item that prompted me to start this is a certain YouTuber, who has a LOT of videos on there, ALWAYS has his finger inside the trigger guard.  I do believe that IF you publish stuff for all to see and possibly copy, you really should ensure you get it RIGHT  !

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my finger position (from a library picture)... and I am strict that folk I am minding on game days adopt same or at least similar, I don't believe that it matters if your above below or on the trig guard as long as your not on the trigger at any time up until you are mounting the gun to take the shot  👍

View attachment 9238
Nice Boxlock, what make is it?

Can honestly say my finger is on the trigger at all times. Competition ready. I counter this by knowing where my barrels are at all times. Barrels safe then the other bit can just be a loud accident and a phew. Trigger can go off even if you’re not touching it then u have the issues. 

barrel safety is key

Hang on lads and lasses, let me get a drink and get myself comfortable......5 mins

Not posed, another library picture of a few years ago on a driven day.....finger off the trigger even on an open gun.....not meaning to be argumentative but why would anyone not advocate not touching the trigger until your mounted....muzzle awareness very very important I totally agree BUT belt and braces and you are totally safe, both quickly become an engrained habit and if we teach new shooters both of these things then the future for all will be much safer.......

PS 

This unstaged pic shows that I remove my finger from the trigger as soon as I have shot and before I open the gun, I also do not touch the trigger whilst closing the gun or until I am mounted. I believe that this is best practice 

082.jpg

Not posed, another library picture of a few years ago on a driven day.....finger off the trigger even on an open gun.....not meaning to be argumentative but why would anyone not advocate not touching the trigger until your mounted....muzzle awareness very very important I totally agree BUT belt and braces and you are totally safe, both quickly become an engrained habit and if we teach new shooters both of these things then the future for all will be much safer.......

View attachment 9243
Everyone has a way which they like. Watch all the best competitors and the finger will be on the trigger. 

B81EE954-FDF2-4EB6-AC85-AC108477CFCB.jpeg

Can honestly say my finger is on the trigger at all times. Competition ready. I counter this by knowing where my barrels are at all times. Barrels safe then the other bit can just be a loud accident and a phew. Trigger can go off even if you’re not touching it then u have the issues. 

barrel safety is key
Must say I agree but all my shooting is inside a stand on a clay ground and the area in front is safe to shoot in.

I've never been on a game shoot so it might be a good idea to keep your finger outside the trigger guard. I cannot understand why semi-autos are not allowed on a game shoot as the gun can be loaded/unloaded with the barrel pointing vertically so you'll never muzzle sweep anyone.

Must say I agree but all my shooting is inside a stand on a clay ground and the area in front is safe to shoot in.

I've never been on a game shoot so it might be a good idea to keep your finger outside the trigger guard. .
Good point sir 👍

One could argue that if new clay shooters are taught good muzzle awareness and safe trigger finger position then if they transition to game shooting they will have a safe grounding because I can tell you that the level of safe gun handling on many game days is questionable to say the least...

But these pictures show a shooter right before the shot. But you won´t leave your finger on the trigger when lodaing/ closing or open the gun.

That´s the point. Gun down is mandatory in some disciplines, so the finger is on the trigger.

Reactions: ips
But these pictures show a shooter right before the shot. But you won´t leave your finger on the trigger when lodaing/ closing or open the gun.

That´s the point. Gun down is mandatory in some disciplines, so the finger is on the trigger.

CC9FB7AB-804E-4034-BE2E-A40835EC0B74.jpeg

Luckily there is a instagram game shooting page where we can see both styles of this safety measure featured on his live videos feeds! 👍👍👍👍

Based on some of the replies, I am thankful I am an average run of the mill shooter  !  

Sounds and looks like mixing in the 'higher echelon ' is a damned dangerous place to be   !     😄

Latest posts

Back