OT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that Vid on youtube a few weeks ago DT really neat system but that would not be any good for Olympic Trap though surely? I think five such setups would be required one of each stand no?
Or all shooters just queue up behind the single machine as per the vid. The machine will through a full scheme for up to 6 shooters although the transition between left and right traps seems a little slow for some shooters I know !

Would be far too expensive (and I suspect unreliable) to replace a traditional 15 trap set up though.

Ideal for a practice set up in the garden though :)

DT 

Oh for heavens sake....

If we are being picky......it has not actually 'been done. (Talking about OT ......not practice of a '???' discipline with a new trap). Well it is not even a discipline yet with this 'sled trap'. It is just a bit of fancy engineering......and as I already said....I like the idea of it. But think it is just a training aid????

But....back to the facts...

You don't shoot OT from one point....you don't shoot UT from one point

ISSF run the rules for OT and FITASC run the rules for UT........so has anybody put it to them.....Don't t h I n k soooooooo.

So as i pointed out, you would have to start first by a change of the rules governing the disciplines.......and then we can all go......wow....what a fantastic idea / new game :laugh:

Wow....what a lovely new sledy, slidey trap (I hope they make it in glossy red).

Wow....if only it could be made cheaply..........what!!!! It costs how much.....!!

Reliability.......what do you mean it won't work for 20,000 clays......without a breakdown ???

As we all know.....even the best traps need good mechanics.

P.s. saw the video .....read all the threads.....but it is not OT.....maybe people might just not be understanding....what I actually said.........true story...

This trap system sounds fantastic and I think it maybe have been the sort of thing my club would have looked at years ago possibly, but as Nicola says the ISSF is the only fly in the ointment regarding a set up like that, it would be great to train on I think but I doubt you would get a championship like the GB grand prix or a GB selection shot on it, and certainly not a WC event , but then I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve out of the discipline , if its selection for your relevant country then its a non starter in my opinion.

The only thing that OT requires in this country is dedicated OT shooters.

If there was sufficient interest there are enough layouts to train on.

I absolutely love it but unfortunately do not have the time at the moment to do it.

I absolutely love it but unfortunately do not have the time at the moment to do it.
Quite right.A few weeks ago I picked up an American pall who flew in to Blighty to see me en-route to shooting in a World Championship in Europe. It was a beautiful sunny Friday so I decided to come off the M3 and take her to see Bisley. We popped into the Cpsa boardroom first to show her some of our silverware.....then up to show her the Commonwealth clay ranges.

There was one person shooting and that one person was shooting DTL.

She was obviously gobsmacked but was being polite and simply asked why there was no corporate events going on.....and where were our training squads......?

After a choking laughter......I simply said....'I have no idea'.

And that peeps......says it all....!!

Last edited:

And that is the nub of the issue.

Are the lack of facilities the reason for the lack of interest in the decipline or is the lack of interest the reason for the lack of facilities?

I can shoot OT practice at Garlands (if I phone ahead to ask them to set it up) but the nearest competitions are 100 miles away!!

Now if we could persuade some of the thousands of DTL shooters over to OT then the grounds might just have to bang in a few more layouts.

However I suspect that will not happen because scores in the high 90's are very rare!!

Now if I can persuade John at Rugby to stick some layouts in I would shoot nothing but OT. Maybe Sport England will come up with some Olympic legacy cash to smooth the deal?...yeah right!!

DT

A computer controlled ABT would require few enough rules changes that no one would even notice.  Differing target speeds are really a non-issue as ABT ignores them already and who cares?

The computer controlled ABT that has loadable schemes and insures each shooter gets the same targets as the other shooters is a simple and elegant solution to financial concerns of grounds and shooters alike.

And that or something like it will certainly not happen in my lifetime

and JMO of course  YMMV

Charlie

Well having opened this can of worms, I would like to say a word or two. Yes I accept that the Olympic mob want everything to be totally equal, but given that the fifteen trap layout was devised many decades ago, I think it is time that they looked at a viable, fair and more cost effective way of doing things, now that there is technology available that could be put into use at a more reasonable price! If an Olympic layout of some sort that was cheap enough, could be installed in a ground at a sensible price, then possibly more grounds would do it and maybe more people would then shoot it. Surely the UK cannot be the only country where there is so little in the way of OT layouts! I have often wondered what would happen if tomorrow, the Olympic mob decided that they wanted 20 traps instead of 15, how many grounds would actually do it, how many could afford to do it?

For me personally, I would favour a high tech computer controlled ABT sort of system. In fact any system that involved a single high tech trap that could throw serious speeds and angles and would give the same targets to each person, as we now know, the technology is there to make such a thing possible. So why do they have to stick with technology and a system which has been around for so long and which they must know, is not exactly popular with the majority of clay shooters? Surely there must be a better way?

Les

Agreed  ..................... or they could make ABT what it was 20 yrs ago then we would all be happy to shoot it ??

The fact that ABT used to be hittable kind of evened out the fact that it was random. Now its not a case of being unlucky and getting a hard target now its a case of you could be unlucky and get a very hard target if you see what I meen.

Anyway stuff issf .............. Mr cpsa chap can we please go back to ABT circa 1990 many thanks. Oh and if there are any legalities that you need to discuss please contact Nic who is our forum rep on such matters. Ta

Les

Agreed  ..................... or they could make ABT what it was 20 yrs ago then we would all be happy to shoot it ??

The fact that ABT used to be hittable kind of evened out the fact that it was random. Now its not a case of being unlucky and getting a hard target now its a case of you could be unlucky and get a very hard target if you see what I meen.

Anyway stuff issf .............. Mr cpsa chap can we please go back to ABT circa 1990 many thanks. Oh and if there are any legalities that you need to discuss please contact Nic who is our forum rep on such matters. Ta
Ah, 20 years ago!!! Back then we used to call it "Ball Trap", which used to raise a few eyebrows amongst the unitiated!!! OK ABT was never easy but it was hitable and it was huge fun too. As I've said before, there seem to be too many shooting bodies wanting to bugger up something that worked well enough and which most of those who shot it were happy with as it was. In fact I think when I first shot ABT we were still on 32grm loads, most of us where I used to shoot it used Winchester shells, the other popular shells back then were those Eleys in the paper cases, if you had the money, because they were not cheap as I recall. In those days you rarely saw a multi choke trap gun, no adjustable stocks, no shooting glasses, very few Perazzi's,it was mainly Winchesters and Browning/Miroku, most guys wore a Ganton shooting vest! Ah the good old days Ian!!

Good days indeed Les, yep 32g, no comb adjusters, no multichokes. I still have my Winchester trap vest from the 80s however it would seem to have shrunk "A LOT" in the wash. :)

PS - I still call it "ball trap" :)

Good days indeed Les, yep 32g, no comb adjusters, no multichokes. I still have my Winchester trap vest from the 80s however it would seem to have shrunk "A LOT" in the wash. :)

PS - I still call it "ball trap" :)
 I used to have one of those Winchester winter coats, the quilted ones with the elsticated back, they were great! I think they were actually made by Beaver , or at least that's what someone told me!!!! I still call it Ball Trap too, most guys over 40 do I reckon.

Yep I had one of those quilted jobbies but the 1st mrs nutter, I meen mrs ips nicked it (for wearing whilst mucking her horse out) during divorce settlement, pity that was all she took but that's another story as they say :)

Right you lot stop whining and start shooting.

I STILL have my Winchester quilted jacket in perfect condition and still fits.

North Wales Shooting School did more to promote OT than the CPSA have ever done .

So get your backsides up to Sealand and use the layout, Get out to Griffin Lloyd, Garlands, A1 and everywhere else and shoot OT.

Use it or lose it. At the moment Saturdays is out for me at Sealand but how about Tuesdays? Or Griffin Lloyd or Garlands or Doveridge name the day except Saturdays and Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i do sealand every sat but i am up for sealand or garlands mid week. Sure we could persuade Fred without much difficulty.

Agree re sealand in its day it was mecca

Last edited by a moderator:
garlands for me,after this weekend i have got to get ready for the first nationall disabled ot shoot at nutty end of june.

Back