Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a U2 Bottom U4 top - I shot 24/25 in a single barrel comp today using the U2 only - my last 25 yesterday in a 100 DTL regd was 24/72

I'm going to try a U3 in the bottom at my next practise session but I'm happy with the U2 !!

Choke choice is simple for Trap, because it is a simple discipline shot by simple people.

Simple.
 I find comments like this offensive and they really do make me consider leaving this site for good!

I shot all kinds of discplines including sporting and do not consider myself to be a simple person.

I find comments like this offensive and they really do make me consider leaving this site for good!

I shot all kinds of discplines including sporting and do not consider myself to be a simple person.
pretty sure the comment was firmly tongue in cheek, anyway by your own admission you do/did all disciplines therefore may not technically be a trappist/trappie type wotsit :wink:

U2 bottom barrel U3 top barrel and none in your bag, it really is as simple as that.

Choke choice is simple for Trap, because it is a simple discipline shot by simple people.

Simple.
And it's a godsend!  If it were any more complicated I doubt I'd ever have had the nerve to try.  I bless all those REALLY simple ATA'ers that would like to see the game reduced to straights from Station 3.  That would be so wonderful!!!

Just received my Mullers from Just Choking. Looking forward to getting out an using them. Great service, thanks Nick T!

Managed to wrest my U3s from the clutches of Royal Mail on Tuesday. As usual the service from Justchoking was impeccable. My plan was to have my first go on a proper DTL set up but they've got an SCTA DTL championship at Auldgirth, so I'll be going to westlands to see if I can get to grips with those far out midi and minis they have on 4 of the stands at the moment. Been booked for 5 shifts next week so that will cover the cost of completing 2 sets of Muller chokes and some slabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot DTL with Skeet in the bottom barrel and 1/2 in the top barrel with no 8 shot and i have straighted it with that combination so never actually used the top barrel!

I used my U2/U3 combination for the first time on Sunday after a 4 month injury lay off. I got 80% of targets including some quartering away that were fast and fairly out there. I'm happy.

More chance of hitting the clay if you eat your favourite muller yoghurt than if you use the chokes.. :)
i think we all know it's where you point it that counts but like guns, I guess chokes are personal preference.... I could buy a Perazzi but I bet you I would still miss as many... ;-)

1st ever attempt on a proper DTL set up and first time using the U3s. BIG lessons learned today, mainly to pace myself and not rattle through my shots like a machine gun, note to self - couldn't happen is a comp so don't do it practice. I also now know I'm capable of shooting any of the DTL birds, took all 75 birds before I finally really nailed the far right off stand 5. I know why and where I missed the ones I missed and was sometimes able to tell from the shape of the break where it was in the pattern. 39% was a bit disappointing but I reckon I'll break a lot more next time out. Thought at the start of the day I'd be happy to start hitting any but 5 from the first 6 gave me false confidence and expectations, after a string of 0s Mrs Bryn started timing me between shots to steady me up which worked.

T2 mirage 8s through U3s seem to be doing the job for me, ran out of 8s towards the end and had to switch to 7.5s, it shouldn't have made much difference but they did feel a lot 'thumpier'.

I have very recently purchased a pair of Muller chokes (U0 & U1) intended for shooting skeet - I have been shooting U2 & U3 for sporting for over a Year now.

The first outing at skeet with the U0 & U1 combination and Fiocchi  Blacks (81/2) returned a 25 straight - today I managed to shoot a 99 having missed single high 4 on my first layout followed up by a 75 straight. The weather conditions up at Nottingham Gun Club was like everywhere else today "dire".

I have been shooting long enough now to know that if you place the shot in the right place the target will break - I always tend to shoot low bird first on the pair of station 4 with todays conditions the high bird was a long way out, ducking and diving and very edge on my U1 turned this target into balls of dust. I have never done any pattern plate testing but on evidence of actual target shooting I am of the opinion that  Muller chokes really do pattern extremely well with the added benefit of not working loose and also looking aesthetically great.

In answer to the question - I do think they are as good as they claim to be-  hence my investment in a further two.  

post-738-0-28295600-1399841077.jpg

Attachments

• 11052014595.jpg
    11052014595.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
I was at Nottingham today shooting the DTL - as you say the weather was "Dire" - I use U2 - U4 Mullers for DTL in Browning along with Pro one 8's. Managed a second in class - were you the guy who won the Skeet ?

I was at Nottingham today shooting the DTL - as you say the weather was "Dire" - I use U2 - U4 Mullers for DTL in Browning along with Pro one 8's. Managed a second in class - were you the guy who won the Skeet ?
Well shot Norman - I had posted the highest score at Skeet when I left the ground this morning - I'm not sure whether my 99 was beaten as there may have been more shooters going out.  (I was the fat bloke with the white dog)

I just remember a guy collecting his winnings for the Skeet as the DTL winners were announced - there was a guy with a little white dog - curly haired & wet (the dog) - in the Club house when we arrived at 11.00ish was that you ?

I just remember a guy collecting his winnings for the Skeet as the DTL winners were announced - there was a guy with a little white dog - curly haired & wet (the dog) - in the Club house when we arrived at 11.00ish was that you ?
Hi Norman - yeah that was me, your right he was a very wet dog. I had to drive home with the window open . (nothing worse than a wet dog smell)

Well shot 99/100 is excellent anytime but in today's conditions is even more so :)

Back